High Energy Electron- Proton Collison

In summary, smashing two high-energy particles together creates a huge shower of particles that are all governed by conservation laws.
TWest
I was wondering What would happen if one was to smash a High Energy Electron with a High Energy Proton let's say they both have a kinetic energy of 1 Tev.

Physics news on Phys.org
TWest, At such a high energy it doesn't matter much what you start with, all that matters is that you suddenly have 2 TeV's of energy. What this produces is pretty much independent of whether you're colliding electrons, protons, etc. You'll get a shower of every kind of particle you can name. If you think some kind of conservation law comes into play, forget it, all it takes is one photon to initiate the shower of debris.

I think one thing you can be sure of is getting at least one outgoing electron or electron-neutrino. It seems to me that the incoming electron has to either be scattered by interacting with something via photon or Z0 exchange, or be converted to an electron-neutrino via W exchange.

Bill_K said:
If you think some kind of conservation law comes into play, forget it, all it takes is one photon to initiate the shower of debris.

WHAT? Surely you are joking. As Jtbell has already stated (albeit in a round about way) you are going to have a bunch of applicable conservation laws. Energy, baryon number, and lepton number will be conserved of course.

Well, I was trying to figure this out because usually most particles are either 1/3, 2/3,1 Ec and since electrons are captured electron capture decay and Beta positive decay maybe it would be possible to force a piece of matter to pick up more than +1 or -1 ec like a proton that had 2+ Ec. Is that even possible to have a protonish particle with 2+ Ec cause I know that tauons and muons are basically electrons of higher mass could the charge be forced to do more or less the same thing? For Instance, What if the triple was formed with UUU or UTU. I realize that they strong nuclear force would never attempt these but could they be forced to bond with high energies?

Last edited:
Oh...well now I feel stupid. Okay How do they hold together I always believed that their Color charge had to even out. If this is the case then how do they hold together?

TWest said:
Oh...well now I feel stupid. Okay How do they hold together I always believed that their Color charge had to even out. If this is the case then how do they hold together?

Could you elaborate a little more?

I mean I always believed that the strong nuclear force that held atoms and sub atomic particles together such as a proton or in this case the SCC or omega++ together had to be balanced isn't there a color charge system that the SNF obeys in a triplet? How does it bind something a electric charge greater than 1+ Ec.

The color force IS the strong force.

I realize this Just as Electric charge's Forces are Electric and magnetic Forces and Energy's force is gravity in EFE or mass In Newtonian mechanics. My question is why does it bind these odd particles together? I thought this went against the laws of QCD I was hoping that you could explain this. I was under the impression that baryons had to be balanced with red green and blue color charges in order to form a SN bond between 3 quarks.

Last edited:

1. What is a High Energy Electron-Proton Collision?

A High Energy Electron-Proton Collision is a type of particle collision that occurs between an electron and a proton at very high speeds and energies. This type of collision is studied in particle physics to gain insight into the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

2. How is a High Energy Electron-Proton Collision created?

A High Energy Electron-Proton Collision is typically created using a particle accelerator, which accelerates electrons and protons to high speeds using electric and magnetic fields. These particles are then directed towards each other and collide in a controlled environment.

3. What happens during a High Energy Electron-Proton Collision?

During a High Energy Electron-Proton Collision, the two particles interact and produce a variety of subatomic particles, such as quarks, gluons, and photons. These particles can then be observed and measured by detectors, providing valuable information about the behavior of matter at high energies.

4. What is the significance of studying High Energy Electron-Proton Collisions?

Studying High Energy Electron-Proton Collisions allows scientists to probe the fundamental properties of matter and the forces that govern them. It also provides insight into the early universe and the conditions that existed shortly after the Big Bang. This research can also have practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies and medical treatments.

5. What are some current research areas involving High Energy Electron-Proton Collisions?

Some current research areas involving High Energy Electron-Proton Collisions include studies of the Higgs boson, the search for new particles beyond the Standard Model, and the investigation of the strong nuclear force. Scientists are also using High Energy Electron-Proton Collisions to study the properties of matter at extreme temperatures and densities, similar to those found in neutron stars and the early universe.