This is just a quick question about Calculus class

In summary: It depends on how well you're doing in AB. If you're doing well, then there shouldn't be a problem, because there isn't much more in BC than AB. In fact, all the extra content of BC was covered by only one chapter in my calc II class.If you're doing well and you have a good understanding of the material, then switching to BC should not be too difficult. However, if you're not doing well, then it might be a bit harder because you will have to catch up on the material. In either case, I recommend talking to your Calculus teacher.
name_ask17
Hey guys. I'm currently a senior in high school. The high school that I go to has block schedule. I am in Calculus AB this semester and it will continue through next semester. However, I want to switch into Calculus BC. WIll that be too hard? Is it a big jump, or is it next semester when the new material will start coming in for Calc BC? Please advise if you can. Thanks!

EDIT: I want to switch into BC at the beginning of next semester.

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend you get your hands on the BC textbook that you would be using and look at where you are in your book, and what remains to be covered, and where the BC is, what you missed, and what you would need to know to do the math. If you intend to go into a field where you will be using calculus, you don't want gaps in your knowledge. Also, if you want college credit for calculus, you have to take the AP exam or similar qualifier. As far as I know, there are separate exams for calculus AB and BC. You have to pass both. If you're just trying to get ahead, you may consider taking calculus at a community college beginning in the Spring semester. Learn it all at once. High school drags it out unnecessarily.

name_ask17 said:
Hey guys. I'm currently a senior in high school. The high school that I go to has block schedule. I am in Calculus AB this semester and it will continue through next semester. However, I want to switch into Calculus BC. WIll that be too hard? Is it a big jump, or is it next semester when the new material will start coming in for Calc BC? Please advise if you can. Thanks!

My gut feeling is that this is a bad idea. Also, different high schools do things differently with regards to the running of their calculus classes. For instance, does your BC class require AB as a prerequisite? You never said it did or didn't, so we don't know if you've already consulted your course catalog.

Or is it the situation where you can only take one OR the other, with BC being more accelerated, of course, than AB? In any event, I think the best plan of action is to talk to your calculus teacher and see what he/she thinks.

No, it's actually the case where you take one or the other.

eumyang said:
For instance, does your BC class require AB as a prerequisite? You never said it did or didn't, so we don't know if you've already consulted your course catalog.

Or is it the situation where you can only take one OR the other, with BC being more accelerated, of course, than AB?

No, it's actually the case where you take one or the other.. the only prequisite required is precal, which I already took last year.

From my experience, AB is derivative calculus, BC is integral calculus. A part of integral calculus requires taking derivatives (u-substitution, trigonometric substitution). I don't think it's a good idea, but if you get your hands on a calculus book, you might be fine.

name_ask17 said:

It depends on how well you're doing in AB. If you're doing well, then there shouldn't be a problem, because there isn't much more in BC than AB. In fact, all the extra content of BC was covered by only one chapter in my calc II class.

Also, I would be a great idea to go talk to the BC teacher and ask how far into the extra material they will be by the end of this semester. They would also be better able to judge your preparedness by asking about specific concepts that will have covered by then and they could also talk to your AB teacher to see if they believe you could do it.

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is primarily concerned with finding and analyzing rates of change, and is used to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides a powerful set of tools for solving problems involving change and motion. It is used in many real-world applications, from designing bridges and buildings to predicting the stock market. It also serves as the foundation for higher-level mathematics courses.

3. What topics are typically covered in a Calculus class?

Topics covered in a Calculus class usually include limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications of these concepts. Students will also learn about techniques for solving equations, optimization, and related rates problems.

4. Is Calculus difficult to learn?

Calculus can be challenging, as it requires a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn Calculus. It is important to seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with the material.

5. What are some tips for success in a Calculus class?

To be successful in a Calculus class, it is important to attend all lectures and take detailed notes. Practice solving problems regularly, and seek help when needed. Make use of online resources and study groups to reinforce your understanding of the material. Finally, stay organized and manage your time effectively to stay on top of assignments and studying.