Subjects in addition to Physics requirements; scheduling.

In summary, the person is uncertain about what classes to take next year, and is looking for advice. They are considering taking classes in Calc, Physics, Linear Algebra, Digital Logic, and Engineering Analysis, but are unsure if they need to take them or not. They are also wondering if English and Humanities classes are important.
Mholnic-
(If there is confusion about course content, see links at bottom of post for course descriptions.)

So looking ahead to the next 3 semesters, I can plainly see what classes I NEED to take for Physics.. but they leave room for courses in other disciplines -- for example Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, etc. The problem is that I'm not sure which courses I should be taking, and which aren't at all necessary. I have a long way to go but I'd like to have a general plan, an idea of what I should and shouldn't be learning.

The classes I need to take are in bold. Those followed by a question mark are unknowns; I don't need to take them, and I'm wondering if they'd be at all helpful. This is only for my years at the local Community College, before I transfer to University.

This year:

College Algebra
Chemistry
Computer Science I

Trigonometry
Chemistry
Technical Writing

Computer Science II?
Engineering Graphics? (AutoCAD and freehand drawing, I think.)

Next year:
Calc I
Physics I (Calc-Based)

Discrete Mathematics?
Java/HTML/C#?

Calc II
Physics II
Linear Algebra

Digital Logic?
Statics?
Engineering Analysis? (Spreadsheets and Excel for Engineers, I think.)

If it matters, I'm not really enjoying Computer Science at the moment but I keep hearing that programming skills are essential. I'm not sure how true this is, so I figured I'd take it and hope for the best. I don't intend to major in Engineering, but you never know, right? xD I look at the course descriptions and my inexperienced brain says "That sounds hard. I must need to know it!" Hence these questions.

So my questions are essentially these:
  • How useful are Engineering classes? Statics, Dynamics, Circuits, Strength of Materials, etc.
  • How important is Computer Science, really? And what aspects of it will be most helpful? Do I really need to know the finer details of cache, or should I just scrap the CS classes and learn to program in my own time? If it is worth pursuing on campus, at what point should I stop -- in other words, when does it become less like 'CS stuff a physics major should know' and more like 'stuff that only a CS major needs to know'?
  • Is Discrete Mathematics necessary? I realize it's not needed for the major, but it looks fun.. although I don't want to take on too many classes from too many fields and doom my GPA if it'll never be used.
  • Most importantly -- are there any other courses that might not seem like obvious choices, but that would be of great use to me? Technical Writing seems to be a prime example.

Simply put, there are a lot of classes that look interesting, and I lack the requisite expertise and experience to differentiate between those classes that would be of great use, and those that would be a waste of time. Broad questions, I know, but I'm not idealistic enough to have assumed that I've planned out the next 10 years of my life. I like learning about how and why the world works and Physics seems to be the most complete way to do just that. It's an interesting subject, and I'd like to know more. A lot more. That said I don't know if I'd go to Grad school (assuming sufficient grades) or into the workforce; I'm still a newbie so I can't lay claim to a specific field of study.

Thanks for reading.

Course descriptions:
http://www.nic.edu/coursedescriptions/?dis=CS
http://www.nic.edu/coursedescriptions/?dis=ENGR

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the obvious thing to talk to your academic advisor?

First, make sure the engineering and technical classes will transfer to your University of choice.
Second, no English or Humanities classes? Do not underestimate the importance of these.
Third, talk with an advisor at your CC and at your target university - it would be a benefit to you to work 'backwards' from your target program to see what you need (and also what the uni advisor suggests).

Lastly, and some may disagree, but I think Computer Science is best learned at University, not at CC. I think many classes are better at a CC (compared to a normal State-U) because of the generally smaller class size (intro physics and math I think will definitely be better at a CC compared to general state university because of the attention you'll recieve), but CS at most Universities will bring a significantly different perspective than learning to program at a CC. There's more to CS than just learning to program and I think that extra bit is lost at most smaller (non-technical) colleges and CC. (mileage may vary, of course - this opinion is from personally taking CS classes initially at a relatively good university and later at a CC, and also from stories of friends, etc)

Thanks for the responses thus far.

I have talked to my advisor, and he was.. well, not helpful. He essentially said to take the classes I need to take, and then take whatever I want -- which did nothing to answer my questions! As for humanities classes, I already have those sorted out; I'll be taking most of those in the summer. ;) Of the classes I have listed, those not in bold are classes I'm considering.. they don't represent any official schedule. That last semester, for example, I likely wouldn't take all 6 of those.. they're just classes I could potentially take, and I'm trying to decide between them based on which skills are most useful in the coming years. (I essentially wanted to know about technical classes that were not explicitly required for Physics.)

Oh, and CS. The instructor is constantly stressing that it's not about programming, and that programming is just a tool of computer science. He seems set on training us to enter industry, to solve problems, 'think algorithmically', etc. The last thing he wants us to do when solving something is code it. Whether or not this is what you were referring to, I don't know, but he seems to have our long term success in mind rather than short term programming skills. I joined the class because (as I said earlier) I have heard that it was a good skill to have and something non-CS majors often lack.

I know for a fact that all Idaho universities have matriculation agreements with my college, so all classes transfer. (This goes some distance to guarantee the quality of the classes, because we are required to learn the same things as University students.. albeit for a fraction of the price.) As for out-of-state Unis, I can't say. I've only just started to look at my options in that regard, I haven't gone much further. I figured that given the number of Physics majors and graduates on this site, I could get some insight into which classes were invaluable, and which were better left to Engineering/CS majors. ;)

The major source of confusion for me has been knowing where the lines of demarcation are. Essentially, what bits of CS and Engineering are just short of pointless for someone who doesn't intend to work in those fields, compared to those parts that are exceedingly helpful?

I'll take your advice into consideration, and look for a Uni advisor who can perhaps shed light on some of these questions.. as well as hope for continued responses to this thread! Thanks again.

http://www.nic.edu/coursedescriptions/?dis=MATH

I understand your confusion and desire for a clear plan for your academic career. It is important to have a general understanding of the courses required for your major, but it is also beneficial to explore other disciplines and broaden your knowledge base.

In terms of the courses you have listed, I would highly recommend taking the engineering graphics course. AutoCAD and freehand drawing skills are essential for any engineer, and having these skills will be beneficial for your future career in physics. Additionally, courses such as statics, dynamics, and strength of materials are also important for understanding the mechanics and principles of physics. While you may not major in engineering, having a strong foundation in these courses will only enhance your understanding of physics.

As for computer science, I would recommend at least taking the introductory courses in programming and web development. In today's world, technology and programming skills are becoming increasingly important in all fields, including physics. Being able to code and understand computer systems will benefit you in your future research and data analysis.

Discrete mathematics may not be a required course for your major, but it can be very useful for understanding the mathematical concepts and algorithms used in computer science and engineering. It may also be helpful for problem-solving and critical thinking in physics.

In terms of other courses that may be useful, I would suggest looking into statistics and data analysis courses. These skills are becoming increasingly important in all scientific fields, and having a strong understanding of data analysis will be beneficial for your future research.

Overall, my advice would be to take a mix of courses that are required for your major, but also explore other disciplines that interest you. You never know what skills and knowledge may come in handy in your future career. And don't be afraid to challenge yourself and take on courses that may seem difficult - it will only make you a stronger and more well-rounded scientist. Best of luck in your academic journey!

1. What other subjects are typically required for a degree in Physics?

In addition to Physics, most degree programs in this field require coursework in mathematics, such as calculus and linear algebra, as well as classes in chemistry and computer science.

2. How can I balance the scheduling demands of multiple subjects?

It is important to plan ahead and create a schedule that allows for enough time to complete assignments and study for exams in each subject. Prioritizing tasks and utilizing time-management strategies can also help manage a busy schedule.

3. Are there any benefits to taking subjects outside of Physics?

Studying subjects outside of Physics can provide a well-rounded education, improve critical thinking skills, and allow for interdisciplinary connections. It may also open up future career opportunities.

4. Will taking additional subjects delay my graduation?

It depends on the specific degree program and the number of credits required for each subject. It is important to meet with an academic advisor to plan out a course schedule that allows for timely graduation.

5. Can I take subjects outside of the recommended curriculum?

In some cases, students may be able to take elective courses outside of the recommended curriculum. However, it is important to ensure that these courses still fulfill degree requirements and will not cause scheduling conflicts.