Volatility of aldehydes and ketones

• Thread starter RCB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volatility
In summary, the discussion concludes that aldehydes and ketones have similar polarity due to the presence of the C=O group, but the slight difference in volatility can be attributed to the number of inductive pushes and the possibility of keto-enol tautomerism. The exact reason for this difference is unknown.
RCB

Homework Statement

why aldehydes more volatile than ketones

Homework Equations

NONE

The Attempt at a Solution

I would have presumed that as BOTH contain the same C=O group the overall polarity of the molecule would be the same. hence the strength of the dipole forces should be the same
As they have the same no. of electrons so London forces are the same

their surface area's are the same so there should be no difference in surface contact??

what causes the slight difference (It is only a slight difference!)

Physics news on Phys.org
For a moment you had me worried - I didn't realize they were.

But as you say, only slightly, so that's OK. :biggrin:

I guess in a ketone there are two inductive pushes to polarise the C=O and just one in an aldehyde. You could also think about these factors in connection with a possible role of keto-enol tautomerism, I do not actually know the answer but that could start you looking into things.

ye I figured.
given you didn't know it happened how could you know why
never mind!

1. What is volatility in relation to aldehydes and ketones?

Volatility refers to the tendency of a substance to evaporate or vaporize at a given temperature. In the context of aldehydes and ketones, it describes how easily these compounds can transition from a liquid to a gas state.

2. How is volatility affected by the structure of aldehydes and ketones?

The volatility of aldehydes and ketones is influenced by their molecular weight, functional groups, and branching. Generally, smaller and more polar molecules tend to be more volatile compared to larger and more non-polar compounds.

3. Why are aldehydes typically more volatile than ketones?

Aldehydes have a lower boiling point and are more polar than ketones, making them more volatile. This is due to the presence of a highly electronegative carbonyl group, which increases the polarity of the molecule and makes it easier for it to transition to a gas state.

4. How does temperature affect the volatility of aldehydes and ketones?

As temperature increases, the volatility of aldehydes and ketones also increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the molecules to overcome intermolecular forces and transition to a gas state.

5. How is volatility measured and reported for aldehydes and ketones?

Volatility is typically measured and reported in terms of vapor pressure, which is the pressure exerted by the vapor of a substance in equilibrium with its liquid state at a given temperature. It is often expressed in units such as mmHg or Pa.