Calculating second moment of area of L section

In summary, the individual is trying to calculate the second moment of area for an L shaped cross section in order to use Euler's equation and determine the axial load on a strut. They have attached their calculations, but are unsure if they are correct and are looking for feedback. It is noted that the cross section dimensions are in mm and that the strut will buckle on the weak axis, which requires a Mohr's circle calculation for accurate results. The individual thanks the person who offered help and confirms that their issue has been resolved.
wicz
Hi there,

I currently trying to calculate the second moment of area of an L shaped cross section.
The reason for this is I have carried out a buckling experiment on a strut of this cross section and want to calculate some theoretical results to compare to my experimental results.
I need the second moment of area so I can use Euler's equation and calculate the axial load on the strut.

I have attached my workings for the second moment of area, but in all honesty I do not think my method is correct. It would be very helpful if someone wouldn't mind looking over my calculations and point out where I have gone wrong. It would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Max

Attachments

• ScannedImage.jpg
    ScannedImage.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 882
  • ScannedImage-2.jpg
    ScannedImage-2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 721
  • ScannedImage-3.jpg
    ScannedImage-3.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 616
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have just realized it is not clear on my diagram that the dimensions of the cross section are in mm.

At the risk of being caught talking to myself...

I think I may have figured this out, I've attached a print screen of an excel spreadsheet I used to do the calculations.
Obviously because its excel you can't see my workings, but maybe you can tell if my values look correct?

Attachments

• buckling excel.jpg
    buckling excel.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 673
It appears that you have set up to calculate second moments with respect to centroidal axes parallel to the axes (this is an obvious thing to do). Your strut will not buckle on these axes, however. It will buckle on the weak axis, which is the axis of minimum area moment of inertia. You need to take the values you obtain and go into a Mohr's circle calculation to obtain the max and min values of the MOI. This will give you the value you need to compare to your experimental work.

Thanks for your help, all sorted now :)

1. What is the second moment of area of an L section?

The second moment of area of an L section, also known as the moment of inertia, is a geometric property that describes the resistance of an object to changes in its rotation. It is commonly used in structural engineering to calculate the bending stress and deflection of beams.

2. How is the second moment of area of an L section calculated?

The second moment of area of an L section is calculated by summing the moments of inertia of each individual component of the section. The formula for this calculation will depend on the specific dimensions and shape of the L section. It is recommended to use a computer program or reference table for accurate calculations.

3. What factors affect the second moment of area of an L section?

The second moment of area of an L section is affected by the dimensions and shape of the section. Specifically, the length, width, and thickness of the two legs of the L will impact the moment of inertia. The orientation of the L section also affects the calculation, as the moment of inertia is different for a vertical or horizontal orientation.

4. Why is the second moment of area of an L section important?

The second moment of area of an L section is important because it helps engineers and designers determine the strength and stiffness of a beam. It is a critical factor in calculating the bending stress and deflection of a beam, which is necessary for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of a building or other structure.

5. Can the second moment of area of an L section be negative?

No, the second moment of area of an L section cannot be negative. It is a positive value that represents the resistance of the section to bending. If a negative value is obtained, it indicates an error in the calculation or an impossible geometry for the L section. In such cases, the calculation should be checked and corrected accordingly.