What happens when an explosion begins

• Thread starter oneswarm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explosion
In summary, there are two types of waves generated during an explosion: one moves slowly and can carry objects away, while the other moves quickly at a speed of 8000m/s. This phenomenon is explained by adiabatic heating of the air, which leads to an increase in the speed of successive waves and can result in shock waves. To learn more, you can research shock waves and their properties.
oneswarm
There is a saying that two kind of waves are generated when an explosion happens. one moves slow which can carry the object away .when someone fires with a pistol, the bullet is pushed by this kind of wave . the other is different , it move fast ,maybe at 8000m/s.
I wondered how this is possible. Can anyone explained it in a understanding way?
I only knows the basics about physics. and thanks for a little reference , for example ,some terminology which i can use to look up in wikepedia.

Physics news on Phys.org
Adiabatic heating of the air leads to an increase in the speed of successive waves that follow each other leading to a sharp edge and lumping of waves. These tend to constitute what are called shock waves.So you can look up shock waves, I guess.

1. What causes an explosion to begin?

An explosion begins when there is a rapid and violent release of energy, typically from a chemical reaction or the sudden release of pressure.

2. How does an explosion progress?

Once an explosion begins, it quickly expands outward in all directions, creating a shock wave and releasing heat, light, and sound.

3. What are the potential dangers of an explosion?

An explosion can cause significant damage to nearby structures and objects, as well as harm to living beings due to the release of heat and pressure. It can also cause secondary hazards such as fire, debris, and toxic fumes.

4. Can an explosion be controlled or stopped?

The speed and intensity of an explosion can be reduced by containing the initial blast, but once it has begun, it cannot be stopped or reversed.

5. How can scientists study explosions?

Scientists use a variety of methods such as computer simulations, controlled experiments, and field observations to study the causes and effects of explosions. They also analyze the physical and chemical properties of explosive materials to better understand their behavior.