Proving the Validity of a New Metric Space

In summary, the conversation is about proving that a new metric, \tilde{d}(x,y) = \frac{d(x,y)}{\sqrt{1+d(x,y)}}, is also a metric. The positivity and symmetry of the metric have been proven, and now the task is to prove the triangle inequality. The conversation discusses different approaches to proving this, and ultimately, the method of using the function f(x)=\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x}} is deemed valid and is used to show that \frac{a}{\sqrt{1+a}}\leq\frac{b}{\sqrt{1+b}}+\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+c}} holds true. This, in turn
Lily@pie
Suppose that (X,d) is a metric

Show [itex]\tilde{d}[/itex](x,y) = [itex]\frac{d(x,y)}{\sqrt{1+d(x,y)}}[/itex] is also a metric

I've proven the positivity and symmetry of it.

Left to prove something like this

Given a[itex]\leq[/itex]b+c
Show [itex]\frac{a}{\sqrt{1+a}}[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{b}{\sqrt{1+b}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+c}}[/itex]

I try to prove this
a[itex]\sqrt{1+b}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+c}[/itex]=b[itex]\sqrt{1+a}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+c}[/itex]+c[itex]\sqrt{1+a}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1+b}[/itex]
but I'm just stuck!

cz previously I've proven this [itex]\frac{a}{1+a}[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{b}{1+b}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{c}{1+c}[/itex] before...

I guess I can't use the same method??

Physics news on Phys.org
Lily@pie said:
Given a[itex]\leq[/itex]b+c
Show [itex]\frac{a}{\sqrt{1+a}}[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{b}{\sqrt{1+b}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+c}}[/itex]
Can you prove this assuming a is bigger than both b and c? Can you prove it assuming a is not the biggest?

What do you mean? I know a≤b+c...

So I assume a is bigger than both a and c?

Lily@pie said:
What do you mean?
I mean that if you can prove an assertion under some condition, and then under the complementary condition, then you are done. And I have also told you what condition works well in your case.

This is natural to assume given the triangle inequality for the original metric.

Let:
a=d(x,y)
b=d(x,z)
c=d(z,y)

a[itex]\leq[/itex]b+c
This is the triangle inequality for the original metric right?

Show [itex]\frac{a}{\sqrt{1+a}}[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{b}{\sqrt{1+b}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+c}}[/itex] -- (*)

Does this means that I try to prove (*) by two cases:
1. assuming a>b and a>c
2. assuming a<b and a<c?

I'm not sure whether this way of proving it is okay:

I take a look at the function

f(x)=[itex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x}}[/itex]

f'(x)=[itex]\frac{2+x}{2(1+x)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/itex]
f'(x)>0 if and only if x≥-1.

Since I know that 0≤a≤b+c, f(x) is an increasing function in the interval [0,b+c]. Therefore, by choosing a=b+c, f(a)=[itex]\frac{a}{\sqrt{1+a}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{b+c}{\sqrt{1+b+c}}[/itex] is the maximum possible value.

Hence it is enough to show that [itex]\frac{b+c}{\sqrt{1+b+c}}[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{b}{\sqrt{1+b}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+c}}[/itex]

Since 1+b+c≥1+b and 1+b+c≥1+c,
[itex]\frac{b+c}{\sqrt{1+b+c}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{b}{\sqrt{1+b+c}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+b+c}}[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{b}{\sqrt{1+b}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+c}}[/itex]

Therefore,
[itex]\frac{a}{\sqrt{1+a}}[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\frac{b}{\sqrt{1+b}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+c}}[/itex]

It seems a bit dodgy :bugeye:

Your solution is good. You use both the idea about f'>0 and the analysis of the denomintarors in one argument.

So is this method valid?

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept used to measure the distance between objects or points. It consists of a set of points and a distance function that assigns a non-negative value to pairs of points, based on their relative positions.

2. How is a new metric space proven?

A new metric space is proven by showing that it satisfies the three axioms of a metric space: non-negativity, symmetry, and the triangle inequality. This means that the distance function must always be positive, the distance between two points must be the same regardless of the order, and the distance between any three points must be less than or equal to the sum of the distances between any two points.

3. What is the significance of proving a new metric space?

Proving a new metric space is significant because it allows for the development of new mathematical models and techniques that can be applied to various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It also helps to expand our understanding of the relationships between objects and their distances in different spaces.

4. Can a new metric space be proven to be unique?

Yes, a new metric space can be proven to be unique if it satisfies the axioms and is not isomorphic to any other existing metric spaces. However, there may be multiple ways to define a new metric space that satisfies the axioms, so there can be more than one unique metric space.

5. How is a new metric space applied in real-world scenarios?

A new metric space can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as in the study of networks, transportation systems, and data analysis. It can also be used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the shortest or most efficient path between multiple points in a given space.