About home made air conditioner

In summary: However, if you have a fan that's designed to spin rapidly, it will produce a lot of heat and this will melt the ice. I'm not sure how long it would last in that scenario.
de$per@do
I am making homemade ac.
I am using an ice box for it. I found the link on the internet
http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-DIY-Air-Conditioner/
I want to ask is
1. The fan which is used must get heated by the operation
2. This will produce a lot of heat
3. This will melt the ice or take heat from bottles used at very large rate
4. How long will it sustain?
thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you're asking.

1) The fan will heat because it will be running but it's negligible and it definitely won't overheat because fans are built to spin and it's drawing cool air through it. This is assuming the wiring and power supply are correct. Wire it wrong and you will have a fire hazard.

2) ?

3) The ice will melt because you are drawing ambient temperature air over it. Some energy from hot air is transferred to the chilled bottles and you get slightly cooler air blowing out.

4) It's hard to say without empirical data. Depends on room temperature and the flow through the box. A few hours?

What exactly are you trying to build ? - A full-scale air-conditioner ? - Or a machine to cool the air in your apartment down ? - The two devices are not quite the same.
An air conditioner controls the humidity and temperature, and ideally, removes smells from the air by filtration. Normally, a domestic air-con fails on the latter. An air-con in a vehicle can filter the air through a carbon filter.
You can air-condition the air and WARM it. Air-con and chilling are not the same thing.
An air CHILLER will be much easier to achieve and I suspect this is what you are actually after.
On the subject of your fan, if you don't impede the flow of air through it, it won't overheat.

1. How does a homemade air conditioner work?

A homemade air conditioner works by using a fan to blow air through a container of ice or cold water. As the air passes over the ice or water, it gets cooled down and then circulated into the room.

2. What materials do I need to make a homemade air conditioner?

You will need a large container or bucket, a fan, ice or frozen water bottles, and some duct tape. You can also use a small pump to circulate the cold water if you have one available.

3. How effective is a homemade air conditioner compared to a store-bought one?

A homemade air conditioner may not be as powerful as a store-bought one, but it can still provide a noticeable cooling effect in a small space. It is a cost-effective and eco-friendly alternative for temporary cooling.

4. How often do I need to replace the ice or water in my homemade air conditioner?

The ice or water will need to be replaced as it melts or warms up. This can vary depending on the temperature and humidity of the room, but it is recommended to check and replace every few hours for best results.

5. Can a homemade air conditioner be dangerous?

A homemade air conditioner is generally safe to use, but it is important to use caution and follow proper safety measures. Make sure to keep the electrical components away from water and use a GFCI outlet if possible. Also, be mindful of the temperature and humidity levels in the room to prevent any potential health risks.