Normal Forces and Fluid Dynamics

In summary: I see. Well, in summary, the first problem asks for the normal force on a 5 kg board that is arranged between two sawhorses in static equilibrium. The second problem asks for the normal force from sawhorse 1. The third problem asks about the relationship between velocity and area in a pipe system. The fourth question explains why a person tends to lean back when holding a heavy object directly in front of them. The fifth problem asks about the maximum weight that can be lifted by a hydraulic jack with specific input and output pistons. And the last problem asks about the pressure difference in a pipe with water flowing at different velocities and heights.
mtaniguchi

A 5 kg board is arranged between 2 sawhorses (at right). If the board is in static equilibrium, what is the normal force on the board from sawhorse 2.

Link for the picture the question is referring to.
h.ttp://i.imgur.com/nBC6A.jpg

a. F2,normal = 0 N
b. F2,normal = 49.0 N
c. F2,normal = 36.8 N
d. F2,normal = 76.3 N
e. none of the above

2. This question refers to the same picture in question 1.

What is the normal force from sawhorse 1?

a. F1,normal = 0 N
b. F1,normal =12.3 N
c. F1,normal = 25 N
d. F1,normal = 50 N
e. None of the above

For the pipe shown at right. If A1= 4A2, then…

Question is referring to this picture:
h.ttp://i.imgur.com/kDP93.jpg

a. v1=4v2
b. v1=¼v2
c. v1=¾v2
d. Not enough information

When a person is holding a heavy object directly in front of them, they tend to lean back. Why?

a. It maintains a net force of zero
b. It maintains a net torque of zero

Mechanic Bob has a hydraulic jack (as shown) that applies a maximum input force of Fin =4N. If the output piston is 3 times the area of the input piston (Aout=3Ain), what is the maximum weight Bob’s jack can lift?

Question refers to this picture:
h.ttp://i.imgur.com/NpZdb.jpg

a. 0 N
b. 1.33 N
c. 4 N
d. 12 N
e. None of the above

(For the pipe at right) Water is flowing through the pipe’s left side with velocity v1=5 m/s and height y1=0 m and flowing out the right side with velocity v2=5 m/s at a height y2=2 m. What is the ΔP? (difference in pressure)

Question refers to this picture:
h.ttp://i.imgur.com/FnN59.jpg

a. 0 kPa
b. 9.8 kPa
c. 12.5 kPa
d. 19.6 kPa

Remove the . from the http to view the links.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you read https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379

Thanks. :smile:

I tried doing the problems but I can't seem to get anywhere.

How did you approach the first one? Where did you get stuck? Start with, what are the conditions for a body to stay in static equilibrium...

Last edited:
It's hard for me to understand the problem. I can't speak/read english very good.

1. What is a normal force?

A normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is perpendicular to the surface and prevents the object from passing through the surface.

2. How is the magnitude of a normal force determined?

The magnitude of a normal force is determined by the weight of the object and the force of gravity acting on it. The normal force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force of gravity, keeping the object in equilibrium.

3. What is the relationship between normal force and surface area?

Normal force is directly proportional to surface area. This means that as the surface area increases, the normal force also increases. This is because a larger surface area allows for more contact between the object and the surface, resulting in a greater normal force.

4. How does normal force affect an object's motion?

The normal force does not directly affect an object's motion. It is a reactionary force that counteracts the force of gravity to keep an object in place or in equilibrium. However, changes in normal force can indirectly affect an object's motion by changing the frictional force on the object.

5. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of the motion of fluids, including liquids and gases. It involves understanding how fluids flow, behave, and interact with their surroundings, as well as the forces and pressures that affect them. It is a fundamental aspect of many fields, such as engineering, meteorology, and oceanography.