What GPA should an undergrad aim for to get into a decent physics grad program?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's subpar GPA which they are trying to improve. They discuss their undergraduate coursework and their goal of achieving a 3.60 GPA for grad school. They also talk about the importance of research experience for grad school applications and how to get involved in research. The conversation ends with a discussion about the department's website and finding a faculty mentor for research opportunities.
mariexotoni
My gpa is subpar, but improving.
Freshmen year at SUNY OswegoUndergrad Coursework:

Semester 2
Brains, Minds and Consciousness (3) -A
Calculus 2 (4)- C
General University Physics 2 (4)- A
Principles of Human Behavior (3)- A
overall 3.42

Semester 1
Archaeology and Human Ev (3) - B-
Calculus 1 (4)- C-
Intro to Worlds of Music (3)- B+
General University Physics 1 (4)- B+
Physics Seminar (1)- A
overall 2.80

Freshman year gpa -3.10
I think a realistic goal for me, is to get my gpa up to a 3.60, by the time I start looking for grad programs in physics- so maybe just after my first semester of my junior year. Is a 3.60 an adequate gpa for a grad school applicant? Going for my BS in Physics with a minor in cognitive science (which probably doesn't matter).

I really would love to get my phd in physics... but I'm not sure even a 3.60 would cut it..

What else should I do to make my grad school application look better? Can't be ALL about gpa- even though I'm sure a majority of the weight is on gpa and good rec. letters..

Is this too out of reach? Am I just fantasizing? How critical will grad schools be on a bad first year (and improvements the upcoming years)? (And no, there is no way to bring up my gpa by retaking courses because I never received a D.)

Advice, help, guidance, and some good articles to read would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A Phd isn't about how well you can do in class. A Phd is about whether or not you can do research.

I don't remember exactly where but I think it was on this forum that someone posted a link to an admittance counselor's blog. On there it said that the GPA doesn't really matter as long as you make the 3.5 cut off for most schools. After that its mainly about your research experience.

I will try to find the link..

alright thank you..
how do I get involved with research? Do I just ask professors? And can research be done during fall/spring semesters?

It is pathetic when people ask what they should do to "make their application look better"

That's what the standardized-test-driven education gets you...

How about, "where else can I cut so I can squeeze out another waking minute to spend learning the subject I love"?

Ohh and btw, do not take this personally. The comment is rhetorical and addresses a rather regular type of posts that appear on this board.

mariexotoni said:
alright thank you..
how do I get involved with research? Do I just ask professors? And can research be done during fall/spring semesters?

Of course you can do research during fall/spring. In fact, I feel like since you will probably be doing research with professors that you know at your own university, the chances of going further with the research are much higher than say doing an REU. The easiest way to get involved in research is by asking your professors. You can also sign up for REUs that take place during the summer time but many of these programs are extremely competitive.

Here is the link that I was talking about.
http://matt.might.net/articles/how-...-mathematics-engineering-or-computer-science/

well I emailed one of my professors about it.. and she only told me of abroad summer research.. I just want to work with one of my professors in one of our labs in the basement.

YAHA said:
It is pathetic when people ask what they should do to "make their application look better"

That's what the standardized-test-driven education gets you...

How about, "where else can I cut so I can squeeze out another waking minute to spend learning the subject I love"?

Ohh and btw, do not take this personally. The comment is rhetorical and addresses a rather regular type of posts that appear on this board.

I do agree with you to a certain extent. I just don't believe everyone can be as creative as say the guy who got an interview at google because his resume looked like a google search page.

Some of us just need advice because we've never had the experience.

Likes adrianaselena
and thank you!

and please, keep the snarky comments to yourself.

mariexotoni said:
well I emailed one of my professors about it.. and she only told me of abroad summer research.. I just want to work with one of my professors in one of our labs in the basement.

Don't limit yourself to one professor. Ask everyone. Go on your universities physics page and see what people have interests in. Find out which professors are actually doing research. Call your academic adviser and ask for help. Don't stop just because one professor said no.

well she told me about several of the professors in the physics department doing the summer research- not just herself. But i'll try it. Wish they just had a page of all the professors who are doing research.

mariexotoni said:
Wish they just had a page of all the professors who are doing research.

It's rather odd that they don't. Most departments tend to highlight the research efforts of their faculty. You might want to try spending some time on the departmental web page just to see if you haven't missed it.

I found their physics department page- but they only show one research opprotunity abroad during the summer... I know that there's more going on at my school. Pain

At most colleges and universities, departmental web pages are maintained either by (a) departmental faculty who of course have a lot of other duties, or (b) IT staff who have to maintain several or all departments' pages and, don't know squat about physics, and have to depend on what the departmental faculty tell them to put on the pages.

The thing I find puzzling is the word "aim". You should aim for 4.0. Anything lower is asking the question "how little can I learn and still get by".

Vanadium 50 said:
The thing I find puzzling is the word "aim". You should aim for 4.0. Anything lower is asking the question "how little can I learn and still get by".

That’s just what I was thinking. You work to maximize your GPA to the extent your skill set permits.

While research opportunities may or may not exist for you, I'd also consider other opportunities such as http://www.orau.org/science-education/internships-scholarships-fellowships/undergraduates.aspx IMO, it doesn't have to be research to be valuable. I don't know if the other national labs have something like this. I went to ORAU/ORNL in 77 & 78, when I was in college, and it was educational (learned techniques, "working" with others in the field, etc.). A friend of mine spent her summer working at Goddard http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/home/index.html at least one summer. They are great places to meet amazing people and see amazing things. Anything that broadens you education will be good.

I agree with the 3.5 GPA objective, but I also know more than a few that fell a bit short and still got in.

I have a friend's son starting SUNY Oswego this fall. He and his mom went there for orientation last week, and they were told to expect really serious winter weather (more than we get around the capital district). Sounds like "fun".

From what little I know of it the GPA doesn't seem terrible, and you're only 1 year in. I'd be more concerned about the consistently low maths grades, because what they contribute in GPA aside, you probably won't enjoy a physics PhD if you aren't good at maths.

What is a good GPA for getting into a decent physics grad program?

Typically, a GPA of 3.5 or higher is considered competitive for admission into a decent physics grad program. However, it is important to keep in mind that GPA is not the only factor that admissions committees consider.

Will a low GPA automatically disqualify me from getting into a decent physics grad program?

No, a low GPA does not automatically disqualify you from getting into a decent physics grad program. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

Do I need a perfect GPA to get into a top physics grad program?

No, a perfect GPA is not necessary to get into a top physics grad program. While a high GPA is certainly beneficial, top programs also value research experience, strong letters of recommendation, and a compelling personal statement.

Is it better to have a higher GPA in non-physics courses or a slightly lower GPA in physics courses?

It is generally better to have a higher GPA in physics courses, as these are more directly related to your field of study. However, having a strong overall GPA is also important, so it is best to strive for a balance between the two.

Can I still get into a decent physics grad program if my GPA is below the recommended range?

Yes, it is still possible to get into a decent physics grad program with a GPA below the recommended range. In this case, it is important to have strong research experience, letters of recommendation, and a compelling personal statement to make up for the lower GPA.