Where can I find more difficult 'versions' of problems?

• Thread starter PhizKid
  • Start date
In summary, students may encounter difficult questions on exams that require more cleverness and knowledge than what is presented in the textbook. Some subjects may have limited class hours, requiring self-study to fully understand the material. Various resources, such as Spivak's Calculus and Piskunov's "Differential and Integral Calculus," can be used as supplements for introductory courses and provide challenging problems for lower-level undergraduate exams.
PhizKid
Like, questions that you would technically be able to solve with very limited knowledge of a particular subject, except that it requires more work/cleverness.

For example in Calc I, I was able to solve every problem for each learned topic given in the textbook rather easily, however on the exams the questions were nothing of the easy nature in the textbook and as such were much, much more difficult and some students complained that they did not learn the material to solve these problems, when in fact they just required extremely tricky knowledge to break through them. Sometimes there are questions we haven't learned, but we are expected to learn some topics on our own due to the limited number of class hours. I have no complaints about that, as I believe in taking my own responsibility.

So the textbook questions being too easy, are there any web resources for different subjects like maths/physics that list extremely difficult problems that don't require advanced knowledge of the subject and can realistically be solved/expected to appear on a lower-level undergraduate exam?

What about Spivak's Calculus for the rest of my Calculus sequence? I'm told it's more of a Real Analysis book, but can it be used as a supplement for introductory Calc II/III courses, especially the problems in the book that might appear in a first year Calculus course?

Physics news on Phys.org
try the usual suspects, spivak, courant, hardy, apostol, kitchen, dieudonne'.

I can also recommend Piskunov's "Differential and Integral Calculus." You can find the international edition on the cheap. I found it at a library and read through some of it. Nice book.

1. Where can I find more difficult versions of problems?

There are several resources available for finding more challenging versions of problems. You can try searching online for advanced problem sets, checking out textbooks or study guides for higher level practice questions, or consulting with a teacher or mentor for recommendations.

2. How can I access more difficult versions of problems?

In addition to traditional textbooks and study materials, there are many online resources that offer difficult problem sets for various subjects and levels. Some websites may require a subscription or membership, while others offer free access to their materials. You can also attend workshops or seminars that focus on challenging problems in your field of study.

3. Are there any specific websites or platforms that offer difficult problem sets?

Yes, there are many websites and platforms specifically designed for providing advanced problem sets. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Brilliant, and Project Euler. You can also search for forums or online communities related to your field of study, as they may offer problem sets or challenges for members to work on.

4. How do I know if a problem is considered "difficult"?

Determining the difficulty of a problem can be subjective and may vary depending on an individual's skill level and experience. Generally, more difficult problems require higher levels of critical thinking, analysis, and problem-solving skills. They may also involve complex concepts or require multiple steps to solve. You can also look for problem sets that are labeled or categorized as "advanced" or "challenging" to find more difficult versions of problems.

5. Can I create my own difficult versions of problems?

Absolutely! As a scientist, you have the skills and knowledge to create your own challenging problems. Consider starting with a basic problem and then adding layers of complexity or additional constraints to make it more difficult. You can also collaborate with other scientists or educators to develop challenging problem sets for specific subjects or levels.