General Structure for a Physics Paper

In summary, an IB extended essay in physics should include an introduction, background literature, hypothesis, experimental setup, data collection and processing methods, discussion, conclusion, and proper citations.
Insidium
So i need to write a IB Extended Essay in physics. I have a research question already but am having trouble when it comes to writing it, I’ve looked at some example papers but all their layouts seem to be unintuitive. The essay should be around 3,800 words, the lab reports we usually write are meant to be around 1,000. The layout I use for those is as follows: Introduction/Purpose, Theory, Method, Data collection/Processing and then Conclusion. What things do I need to include in a paper of this size?

Physics news on Phys.org
In an extended essay in physics, you should include an introduction that outlines the research question and a brief overview of why it is important. You should also include a brief description of the relevant background literature and any assumptions made in forming your hypothesis. After this, you should provide a detailed explanation of the experimental setup and procedure, as well as the data collection and processing methods. You should then include a discussion section which covers the results of the experiment, exploring how they relate to the research question. This section should also include a critical analysis of any limitations or sources of bias in the experiment. Finally, the conclusion should summarise the main findings and offer any suggestions for future work. It should also explain the implications of the results for the research question and any wider implications. Throughout the essay, you should ensure that all sources are properly cited and credited.

1. What is the general structure for a physics paper?

The general structure for a physics paper typically includes an abstract, introduction, methods and materials, results, discussion, conclusion, and references. However, this can vary depending on the specific guidelines given by your instructor or the journal you are submitting to.

2. How should I format my physics paper?

Physics papers should typically be formatted in Times New Roman or Arial font, with 12-point font size, and 1-inch margins. They should also be double-spaced and include page numbers. Additionally, any equations, figures, and tables should be properly labeled and numbered.

3. What should be included in the introduction of a physics paper?

The introduction of a physics paper should provide background information on the topic, explain the motivation for the study, and state the research question or hypothesis. It should also briefly mention the methods and materials used and the main findings of the study.

4. How do I write the results section of a physics paper?

The results section of a physics paper should present the data collected in a clear and organized manner. This can be done through tables, graphs, and/or figures. Any statistical analyses should also be included in this section. It is important to avoid interpreting the results in this section, as that should be reserved for the discussion section.

5. What is the purpose of the discussion section in a physics paper?

The discussion section of a physics paper is where you can interpret and analyze the results of your study. This is also where you can compare your findings to previous research and discuss any limitations or implications of your study. It is important to support your arguments with evidence from your results and to avoid making any new claims or introducing new data in this section.