Chernobyl Reactors 1-3: Fuel Removal After 2000 Shutdown

• Chernobyl
  • Thread starter Kutt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chernobyl
In summary, the Chernobyl NPP was shut down in 2000, and since then the spent fuel has been a source of concern. There have been many proposals for removing the fuel, but due to political complications, none of them have been successfully completed. Recently, there has been an increase in pressure to completely decommission the site, and the current plan is to finish the abandoned ISF-2 storage site and defuel 1-3. The picture showed a scrapped reactor 5 and 6, and the author mentioned a plan to build a giant dome over reactor 4 and dismantle it using giant cranes and robotic machines. The video also mentioned that Fukashima Daiichi in Japan is more dangerous and highly radioactive than Chernobyl.
Solon said:
The Most Dangerous (Man-Made) Lava Flow

"I was doing some research for my class on Fukushima Dai’ichi and Chernobyl when I ran into some references to lava. “Lava?” I thought, “Why are they talking about lava when I thought I was trying to find out about nuclear accidents?” Lo and behold, what do I find but an entire research field that has been making manmade lava for decades."

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/04/the-most-dangerous-manmade-lava-flow/

search term of interest: MASCA Project

Engineering news on Phys.org
250713_3.jpg

Construction of a temporary wall.
To protect construction workers in the assembly arch.

and another
http://www.chnpp.gov.ua/images/nsc_3/080813_4.jpg

Attachments

• qT_UAXsnnLA.jpg
    qT_UAXsnnLA.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 463
Likes 1 person
The second week of rains, resulting in increased's a mushroom.:smile:

0_a8c0b_b47ad93e_L.jpg

Beginning of the third climb.

More photoshttp://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=107136835&postcount=210
Author photo, a worker plant . Lead Engineer for control the reactor.

The first firemen showing up first saw chunks of graphite with round channels on the ground in the parking lot.

Those were part of the core in which fuel and control rods were inserted.

I doubt fukushima has approached this but it may have leached more contaminants into the envrionment over time...not really sure.

That first picture on page 1 is a good one especially when you read of the guy who saw all those "squares" jumping from the boiling water right before it went off.

I think each square weighs 700 pounds or so.

HowlerMonkey said:
when you read of the guy who saw all those "squares" jumping from the boiling water right before it went off.

I think each square weighs 700 pounds or so.

This is literary fiction.
There is no more evidence of such an effect.
There is no witnesses, only fantasy Medvedev.
The staff that works on these reactors, said it was impossible.

So the staff you refer to were there to see the reactor explode and noted that the blocks weren't jumping?

no.
They say people who are working on the same reactors in our time.
Medvedev is simply invented.
it's just an analogy,
He presented the pan in which the cover is closed.
Here she begins to tremble (cover).
And the film is effectively demonstrated.

But he generally writes about the caps (headwear)
--------------------------------
a few photos from acting in the reactor
Smolensk NPP

Kursk NPP

HowlerMonkey said:
So the staff you refer to were there to see the reactor explode and noted that the blocks weren't jumping?

According to Medvedev's reconstruction, the shift supervisor, Perevozchenko Valerii was on the reactor building's floor about 30 seconds before reactor exploded.

He witnessed (again, according to Medvedev) the beginning of excessive vibration of reactor's top piping and those metal cubes on top; jumped on the ladder going down to other rooms and corridors and eventually ran into control room - which he reached several tens of seconds after the explosion.

He died on 13 May 1986.

Presumably, Medvedev's description is based on Perevozchenko testimonies - station workers were discussing the accident while they were in the hospital and weren't incapacitated by radiation sickness yet, and Medvedev collected testimonies of many of these people.

However, his book does not contain literal quotes of how Perevozchenko described what he saw.

The problem is that almost all of the testimony of people who have died (real witnesses), has yet to be made public.
They are in a criminal case, but the case is closed from the public.
Those people who are alive do not want to say anything.
Perhaps they are under written non-disclosure, or maybe just do not want to think about that terrible night.

a.ua. said:
The problem is that almost all of the testimony of people who have died (real witnesses), has yet to be made public.
They are in a criminal case, but the case is closed from the public.
Those people who are alive do not want to say anything.
Perhaps they are under written non-disclosure, or maybe just do not want to think about that terrible night.

What case and what crime?
Hard to believe that a criminal case could survive over 25 years and the fall of all the governments involved.
I feel a tremendous amount could/must be learned from the Chernobyl disaster, yet the opportunity is being squandered and the event is disappearing into the mist of legend rather than serving as a beacon for making good decisions about nuclear power.

Criminal investigation into the accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant was considered a matter of fact, from 7 to 29 July 1987.
The hearing was "open" but took place in the town of Chernobyl, in the restricted area.
Such is the cynicism of the Soviet regime
Peoples were tried under Article 220 ​​of the Criminal Code of the Ukrainian SSR - of incorrect handling of hazardous enterprises.
Received prison sentences Director,
chief engineer, deputy chief engineer (A. Dyatlov)
and others involved. Those who survived that night.
With regards to the technical lessons.
Modernization of the reactor was done in six months.
Changed the design of the control rods, put additional absorbers (if they were in a reactor, accident would not have) changed the fuel enrichment, reduced the void coefficient of reactivity.
wrote a new regulation.

a.ua. said:
Criminal investigation into the accident at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant was considered a matter of fact, from 7 to 29 July 1987.
Peoples were tried under Article 220 ​​of the Criminal Code of the Ukrainian SSR - of incorrect handling of hazardous enterprises.
With regards to the technical lessons.
Modernization of the reactor was done in six months.
Changed the design of the control rods, put additional absorbers (if they were in a reactor, accident would not have) changed the fuel enrichment, reduced the void coefficient of reactivity.
wrote a new regulation.

Very interesting, thank you for this additional information.
Were the case transcripts ever made public?

Separately, it is impressive that the Soviets developed and presumably implemented substantial fixes to their design in six months, whereas we are still struggling with the task of reducing the lessons learned at Fukushima to regulation thirty months later. The nuclear industry is losing the public's confidence and support because of this lack of coherent leadership in the face of danger.

etudiant said:
Separately, it is impressive that the Soviets developed and presumably implemented substantial fixes to their design in six months,

Knowing Soviets first-hand, I wouldn't be so quick to believe their fixes are good enough. IIRC, the desing fixes apply only to the design of the hollow tips of the control rods. I'm pretty sure they weren't implemented that quickly.
The rest were operational fixes.

we are still struggling with the task of reducing the lessons learned at Fukushima to regulation thirty months later. The nuclear industry is losing the public's confidence and support because of this lack of coherent leadership in the face of danger.

Agree 100%.

nikkkom
Presumably, Medvedev's description is based on Perevozchenko testimonies - station workers were discussing the accident while they were in the hospital and weren't incapacitated by radiation sickness yet, and Medvedev collected testimonies of many of these people.

There are some memories
with Google translation
Between the MCR -3 and MCR - 4, I met a shift supervisor of the reactor department Valery Perevozchenko .
In response to my questions , he briefly said that there are large areas of damage and destruction of the equipment on Reactor shop. Wet and tired , he excused himself and hurried on .
The next and last time I saw Valery Perevozchenko in the Moscow hospital ward number 6 in May. With the shift supervisor of the reactor department Vladimir pelts we decided to come to him , and happy birthday .
It is at this time did not get up , was weak , nose and ears to reduce the bleeding was laid with cotton , but he was willing to talk . We tore the bag of fruit juice drink for his recovery , and did everything to convince him that he is sure to get better. To this he replied that he is unlikely to rise , "I know what it is ." Apparently, he really appreciates the gravity of his situation.

A week later, when my condition worsened , I went to the doctor Philippovich Sergei Severin and announced his decision to transfer me to another room where sterile conditions are created , calling the room number where he lay Valery .
I get it , but nevertheless asked, " What about Perevozchenko ? * Severin declined to answer , but said the words which, for me , lying exhausted in a single chamber, with hair fell out , and already knowing how our comrades die were the most appropriate.

He said, " Yes, you're sick, you still may be worse for some time : the hair will fall out completely , will be bleeding from the nose , weakness will increase, but it is a disease , it must have been ill . But it will be easier , especially after a blood transfusion . I 'll get you out , I do not for the first time. " These words were to me the most effective remedy and a stimulus to recovery. After that I was transferred to the ward , where he died Valery Perevozchenko .
Severin kept his word - the reader a witness.
such an unusual fact, but it does not say ( Perevozchenko)

in addition

technically, it is difficult to imagine.
under the cubes is located air.
And then another cube which passes the fuel channel.

etudiant
Were the case transcripts ever made public?

In full view of them is not published.
There are some parts.
In the archives of the court should be.
Here you can read a lot more interesting.

a.ua. said:
nikkkom

etudiant

In full view of them is not published.
There are some parts.
In the archives of the court should be.
Here you can read a lot more interesting.

Thank you for the link.
It is news to me that there had in fact been precursor incidents which should have alerted the Soviet nuclear community to the dangers lurking in their design.
Apparently regulatory capture is not just a US specific phenomenon. Bureaucracies everywhere have a hard time admitting problems, capitalist or communist, European or Japanese, it matters not. Makes one wonder what else we are missing, in the financial regulatory apparatus for instance.

etudiant said:
It is news to me that there had in fact been precursor incidents which should have alerted the Soviet nuclear community to the dangers lurking in their design.

Leningrad NPP in 1975,
Chernobyl NPP in 1982 on Unit 1.

Apparently regulatory capture is not just a US specific phenomenon.

IIRC in Soviet Union there was no independent regulator *per se*.

nikkkom said:
Leningrad NPP in 1975,
Chernobyl NPP in 1982 on Unit 1.

IIRC in Soviet Union there was no independent regulator *per se*.

Exactly, the 'regulatory functions' get subsumed into their sector in short order, either officially or de facto.

Kutt said:
After the Chernobyl NPP was fully and permanently shut down in 2000, did they remove the fuel from reactors 1-3 as well as from the spent fuel pools?
Here is the answer to the question:smile:

The Chernobyl NPP Units completely released from undamaged nuclear fuel

On September 28, 2013, the ChNPP personnel completed the works on removing conditioned spent nuclear fuel from Chernobyl NPP Unit 1.
The works were commenced on December 22, 2011. During this period, 1,333 spent fuel assemblies (SFA) were transferred from Unit 1 to Compartment 5 of Interim Storage Facility 1 cooling pool.
The works on releasing Chernobyl NPP Unit 2 from conditioned spent nuclear fuel were completed in November 2012 and in September 2010 for Unit 3. Prior to work performance on SNF discharge, the plant personnel developed and implemented ISF-1 modernization design aimed at improving safety of this facility in accordance with the requirements of the State Nuclear Regulatory Inspectorate of Ukraine.
Manufacturing of separate types of equipment required for SNF discharge by ChNPP personnel efforts ensured essential time and budget savings. Particularly, the plant departments produced 3,294 “short” canisters.
Nowadays, the ChNPP personnel work together to address an issue on handling damaged nuclear fuel remained at Units 1 and 2.
http://www.chnpp.gov.ua/index.php?o...adernogo-paliva-en&catid=29&Itemid=11&lang=en

How dangerous is ( was) the area adjacent to the damaged reactor? Were the reactors 1, 2 and 3 shut down during the accident or did they carry on running? They were still used after the accident and the last one was only shut down in 2000. How was the personnel operating the reactors kept safe? Do they show radiation caused health effects? We know there are people working there now, what exposure are they subjected to?

African Rover said:
How dangerous is ( was) the area adjacent to the damaged reactor? Were the reactors 1, 2 and 3 shut down during the accident or did they carry on running? They were still used after the accident and the last one was only shut down in 2000. How was the personnel operating the reactors kept safe? Do they show radiation caused health effects?

How badly do you think of Ukraine? I mean, it is not Western Europe, yes, but it isn't a rathole like North Korea either!

Do you really think the reactors would be operated if operating personnel would "show radiation caused health effects"?

nikkkom said:
How badly do you think of Ukraine? I mean, it is not Western Europe, yes, but it isn't a rathole like North Korea either!

Do you really think the reactors would be operated if operating personnel would "show radiation caused health effects"?

I am sorry I never meant to insult the Ukraine or question the intelligence of the nuclear engineers that worked and still work there. I just asked because of all that drama surrounding Fukushima and the exaggerated fear of radiation. I see a.ua. actually sent a link that let's you see the site and shows today's radiation readings. I am surprised to see how low they are.

African Rover said:
Thank you, I am surprised how low the values are.

That picture does not show any readings on top or inside Unit 4. You can see that two largest readings on the pic are those two closest to it.

IIRC on the Sarcophagus roof gamma field today is around 10 mSv. (That would be 10000 uSv if it would be shown on that picture).

African Rover said:
Thank you, I am surprised how low the values are.
This is not surprising.
The whole area has been subjected to nuclear decontamination.
Very specific.
Since October 1986, in connection with the planned completion of the construction of the "Shelter" and the start of 1.2 units launched massive work on bringing territory of the Chernobyl NPP in reasonable the form
Here's an excerpt from one of the documents.

Government Commission in the aftermath of the accident.

"In order to reduce the power of gamma radiation in the Chernobyl nuclear power plant ... to develop and implement additional measures to decontaminate areas block number 3 and number 4, and the area adjacent to the plant (including construction base and warehouses)...
Task force of the USSR Ministry of Railways to provide a daily supply of the Southwest and the Lviv railway flatcars at 10 st.Kamenets-Podolsky, and Rock-Podolsky to deliver concrete mix to st.Tolsty Forest ..
Task force of the USSR Ministry of Defense to allocate 100 personnel to perform work on the laying of asphalt mix in the Chernobyl nuclear power plant , 20 vehicles for the transport of the mixture , as well as provide unloading platforms with a mixture of at st.Tolsty Forest and loading it in the vehicle ...
Minavtotransu USSR on October 15 this year allocate 50 vehicles for the delivery of the Chernobyl hot mix ...
USSR State Supply in the bill to allocate funds USSR Ministry of the USSR Mindorstroyu 5000 tons of bitumen to perform the work of asphalting the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. Goskomnefteproduktom USSR put 5 tons of bitumen Mindorstroyu USSR on its application ... "
deactivation is obviously not able to fully eliminate radiation contamination and has been implemented on top of filling materials clean contaminated soil followed by asphalting the surface. As a result , in the district of "Shelter " and block 3 entrances to the building and the railroad tracks were below the level of coverage in

photo on the current state and archival photos.
*** the concrete pour

With "clean" cars in the "dirty" machines

The original message, its author liquidator

Attachments

• ???-2 ????.jpg
    ???-2 ????.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 602
  • ????-2 ????.jpg
    ????-2 ????.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 630
  • ???????? ???????????.jpg
    ???????? ???????????.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 629
nikkkom said:
That picture does not show any readings on top or inside Unit 4. You can see that two largest readings on the pic are those two closest to it.

IIRC on the Sarcophagus roof gamma field today is around 10 mSv. (That would be 10000 uSv if it would be shown on that picture).

I think hearts of Fukushima now hotter.:wink:

On this website you can get on a little excursion to the control panel 4 reactor.
Background to MCR 20 uSv

At this point the web camera can observe the dismantling of the old vent pipe.

Likes 1 person
first go

Attachments

• ?????.JPG
    ?????.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 679
http://www.chnpp.gov.ua/index.php?o...t-2-rozpochato-ru&catid=100&Itemid=11&lang=en

October 31, 2013 the first block of Ventilation Stack (VS-2) of ChNPP 2 generation has been dismantled. Weight of the dismantled block is 33 tons. The block is located at specially prepared site where it will be fragmented to move it in Unit 3 Turbine Hall for temporary storage.
Radiation situation parameters were monitored continuously during the work. Controllable parameters of the radiation situation do not exceed the design control levels. Additional radiation survey of dismantled block and its preparation for fragmentation is underway.
Dismantling of VS-2 will be performed by sequentially removing of separate blocks using the high capacity crane DEMAG. In total 7 blocks will be dismantled with weight 330 tons.
Planned completion date for VS-2 dismantling is December 10, 2013.

Likes 1 person

Attachments

• 3548ce5bb596ea466bcca772c11c29fb_39_width__39_320_39_h.gif
    3548ce5bb596ea466bcca772c11c29fb_39_width__39_320_39_h.gif
    106.1 KB · Views: 885
Gratifying that this clean up is making headway.
Still a huge headache, but at least somewhat circumscribed.
Just wonder whether it will take a quarter century to get as far at Fukushima as well.

a.ua. said:
Radiation situation parameters were monitored continuously during the work. Controllable parameters of the radiation situation do not exceed the design control levels.

I am delighted that radiation was monitored.
However, are we mere mortals not deserving to know the measured levels?