System not booting with ati 9800 pro

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary: If the speaker is connected to the motherboard, it should make a sound when you try to start the computer.
Tom McCurdy
I have a Asus k8v se deluxe motherboard with a amd 3700 64 bit 754 socket processor. When putting in ati radeon 9800 pro 256 mb card, the screen stays blanks and nothing boots. I have 2 separate k8v motherboards and this happens with both, but when I use the card in my older soyo motherboard it works just fine, so I know its not a problem with the card being broke. All other video cards I have work in this motherboard with no problem. I have read somewhere that the 9800 pro has problems with some power supplys, so i tried a couple different and the same thing happens with all of them when trying to boot it with the k8v motherboard. All power supplys I tested work with the card in my older soyo motherboard, and nothing seems to work with my asus. That is why I am starting to suspect its a compatibility issue with this certain motherboard. Just wondering is there is anything i can do or any reason why this card will not work with this motherboard. Thank you for your time.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is there a jumper or bios setting to switch from onboard or PCI graphics to AGP? Have you tried updating the motherboard bios?

I have upgraded the Bios and i assume that it is already set for agp since that is the only type card i have used in the board since I've gotten it.

Go into your bios and make sure that your graphics card is not holding a conflicting IRQ number. If it is on the same IRQ channal as say your hardrive...etc.. it could cause your system to misperform and possibly not boot.

Using the same IRQ shouldn't matter if APM is turned on, which usually is the case with Windows.

Tom McCurdy said:
I have a Asus k8v se deluxe motherboard with a amd 3700 64 bit 754 socket processor. When putting in ati radeon 9800 pro 256 mb card, the screen stays blanks and nothing boots. I have 2 separate k8v motherboards and this happens with both, but when I use the card in my older soyo motherboard it works just fine, so I know its not a problem with the card being broke. All other video cards I have work in this motherboard with no problem. I have read somewhere that the 9800 pro has problems with some power supplys, so i tried a couple different and the same thing happens with all of them when trying to boot it with the k8v motherboard. All power supplys I tested work with the card in my older soyo motherboard, and nothing seems to work with my asus. That is why I am starting to suspect its a compatibility issue with this certain motherboard. Just wondering is there is anything i can do or any reason why this card will not work with this motherboard. Thank you for your time.

Yes, it is most likely you're motherboard. I have had issues with my older ASUS and its compatibility with GeForce. As I am sure there are many people with the same hardware configuration as yours, your best bet is to Google for an answer. Usually, when such a problem arises, people create custom drivers to compensate and rectify any issues that ASUS are not promptly willing to do.

is the speaker conected to the motherboard ? (not to the audio card)

Sometimes if the video card isn't conected you should hear somenthing like

beeeeep bep bep bep...

1. Why won't my system boot with my ATI 9800 Pro graphics card?

There could be multiple reasons for this issue. Some common causes include outdated drivers, compatibility issues, faulty hardware, or a power supply that cannot handle the graphics card's requirements. It is best to troubleshoot each of these possibilities to determine the root cause.

2. How do I update my drivers for the ATI 9800 Pro?

You can update your drivers by visiting the ATI website and downloading the latest drivers for your specific graphics card model. You can also use driver update software to automatically scan for and install any necessary updates.

3. My system was working fine with the ATI 9800 Pro before, what could have caused it to stop booting?

Sometimes, a recent software or hardware update can cause conflicts with the graphics card and prevent it from booting. It is also possible that the graphics card itself has become damaged or faulty. Try reverting any recent changes and testing the graphics card in another system to determine the cause.

4. Can a faulty power supply cause my system to not boot with the ATI 9800 Pro?

Yes, a power supply that cannot provide enough power to the graphics card can cause it to not boot. Make sure your power supply meets the minimum requirements for the ATI 9800 Pro and consider upgrading to a higher wattage if necessary.

5. Is there a way to troubleshoot compatibility issues with my system and the ATI 9800 Pro?

Yes, you can check the system requirements for the graphics card and compare them to your system's specifications. You can also try updating your motherboard's BIOS and checking for any known compatibility issues with your specific hardware setup. If all else fails, you may need to consider upgrading to a newer graphics card that is compatible with your system.