How Does the Raman Effect Impact SSFM in Nonlinear Fiber Optics?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Split Step Fourier method (SSFM) on Matlab to solve the Nonlinear Schrodinger equation in nonlinear fiber optics. The problem is determining whether to use Fourier transform when dealing with the nonlinear operator and Raman effect. The suggestion is to try Marcuse instead, as the Split Step method may not be the best approach for Raman scattering.
eahaidar
Hello everyone
I am doing my own split step Fourier method (SSFM)code on Matlab to solve the Nonlinear schrodinger equation in nonlinear fiber optics
My problem is that in the Nonlinear operator we just multiply it with the initial pulse during SSFM without doing any Fourier transform not like in dispersion since in dispersion it depends on time but if Raman effect which is non linear effect exists and depends on time then what should I do ? Should I do Fourier or not
Thank you for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
The Split Step method is not the best for Raman scattering - try Marcuse.

Blibbler said:
The Split Step method is not the best for Raman scattering - try Marcuse.
What is Marcuse??

What is the Split Step Fourier Method?

The Split Step Fourier Method is a numerical method used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs) in physics and engineering. It is based on the principle of splitting a complex problem into simpler problems that can be solved using the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) algorithm.

How does the Split Step Fourier Method work?

The Split Step Fourier Method works by breaking down a PDE into two parts: linear and nonlinear. The linear part is solved using the FFT algorithm, while the nonlinear part is solved using an iterative process. The results from both parts are combined to give a solution for the entire PDE.

What are the advantages of using the Split Step Fourier Method?

The Split Step Fourier Method has several advantages, including its efficiency in solving PDEs with periodic boundary conditions, its ability to handle both linear and nonlinear terms, and its accuracy in capturing high-frequency behavior. It also has a relatively simple implementation compared to other numerical methods.

Are there any limitations to the Split Step Fourier Method?

Yes, the Split Step Fourier Method is not suitable for all types of PDEs. It is most effective for PDEs with periodic boundary conditions and may not perform well with other types of boundary conditions. It also requires a large number of grid points for accurate results, so it may not be feasible for problems with a large number of dimensions.

What are some common applications of the Split Step Fourier Method?

The Split Step Fourier Method has many applications in physics and engineering, including solving the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics, simulating light propagation in optical fibers, and modeling wave propagation in ocean dynamics. It is also used in signal processing, image reconstruction, and data compression.