Multidimensional fitting of two sets of data

In summary, the problem is finding a function between two variables that will transform distorted data points back into their original form.
datameng
Hello, my problem is the following:

A lasers gives out a bunch of data points which are reflected off a metal surface and recorded by a camera attached to the side of the laser. The image the camera receives is however distorted.

In order to calibrate the camera I need to find a function of two variables (f(x,y)) which transforms the distortet(wrong) data points back into their originals so that the camera image can be used for accurate analysis.

I know the location (x and y values) of the original image and their corresponding camera positions (x' and y').

How can I use these to find a transfer function between the two data sets?
I have already used SVD and a 6th order polynom merit function for multidimensional fits I found in "Numerical Recipes", and although I get resonable results, they are not accurate enough.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to correct me if any assumptions are wrong.

You have two sets of [itex]n[/itex] 2D points, [itex]P[/itex] (original) and [itex]Q[/itex] (camera), with the dimensions [itex]2 \times n[/itex]. Let's assume there exists a function such that [itex]\vec{q} = \vec{f}(\vec{p})[/itex] with [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{q}[/itex] being individual points from [itex]P[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex] respectively and has dimension [itex]2 \times 1[/itex].

You then want to find the function [itex]\vec{p} = (\vec{f})^{-1}(\vec{q}) = \vec{g}(\vec{q})[/itex]?

Let's assume the inverse function [itex]\vec{g}(\vec{q})[/itex] exists. We can then write it, for each individual point, as [tex]\left[\begin{array}{c}
p_x \\
p_y \end{array} \right] = \left[\begin{array}{c}
g_x(q_x, q_y) \\
g_y(q_x, q_y) \end{array} \right][/tex]
I suppose what you could do then is to interpolate each row, either with polynomials or splines.

How many datapoints?

1. What is multidimensional fitting of two sets of data?

Multidimensional fitting of two sets of data is a statistical method used to find the best-fitting relationship between two sets of data with multiple independent variables.

2. Why is multidimensional fitting important in scientific research?

Multidimensional fitting allows scientists to analyze complex relationships between multiple variables in their data, providing a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of their research topic.

3. What are the different types of multidimensional fitting methods?

There are various types of multidimensional fitting methods, such as linear regression, nonlinear regression, polynomial fitting, and surface fitting, each with its own strengths and limitations.

4. How do you determine which multidimensional fitting method to use?

The choice of multidimensional fitting method depends on the type of data and the underlying relationship between the variables. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of each method before selecting the most appropriate one for the data.

5. Can multidimensional fitting be used for any type of data?

Multidimensional fitting can be used for a wide range of data types, including numerical, categorical, and time series data. However, the accuracy and reliability of the results may depend on the quality and quantity of the data.