Inhomogeneous Linear System Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the general solution to an equation with matrices and vectors. The first part involves calculating two variables and the second part involves expressing a specific vector in terms of another vector. The solution to the first part is μ_1 = 1 and μ_2 = 2, and the solution to the second part is Ay = 2b.
GregJ
Hi all, I have been searching around and cannot seem to find an answer. I am doing a past paper, and have the answers but do not understand one part. I hope someone can help.

The question is:

[itex]A \in M_{3 \times 3}(\mathbb{R})[/itex], [itex]\vec{b} \in \mathbb{R}^{3}[/itex]. The general solution to the equation [itex]A\vec{x} = \vec{b}[/itex] is given by:

[itex]\vec{x} = \lambda \left(\begin{array}{rrr|r}-1\\3\\2\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{rrr|r}0\\1\\2\end{array}\right)[/itex]

Let: [itex]\vec{y} = \left(\begin{array}{rrr|r}-1\\5\\6\end{array}\right)[/itex]

1) Calculate [itex]\mu_{1} , \mu_{2}[/itex] such that:

[itex]\vec{y} = \mu_{1} \left(\begin{array}{rrr|r}-1\\3\\2\end{array}\right) + \mu_{2}\left(\begin{array}{rrr|r}0\\1\\2\end{array}\right)[/itex]

2) Express [itex]A \vec{y}[/itex] in terms of [itex] \vec{b}[/itex]

I can do 1) without problem. However it is 2) that I am struggling with. Now I understand that the general solution [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] is made up of homogeneous + inhomogeneous solutions. However I am unable to tell which is which.

I know that the solution to the homogeneous part may be multiplied by a scalar and still be a solution. Would this automatically imply that the homogeneous part is [itex]\lambda \left(\begin{array}{rrr|r}-1\\3\\2\end{array}\right)[/itex]? Or is there another reason that I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your implication is correct. Since the answer for 1) is μ_1 = 1 and μ_2 = 2, then x = y/2, so Ay = 2b.

1. What is an inhomogeneous linear system?

An inhomogeneous linear system is a set of equations where the unknown variables are linearly related to each other, and there is a constant term added to at least one of the equations. This constant term is what makes the system "inhomogeneous."

2. How is an inhomogeneous linear system different from a homogeneous linear system?

In a homogeneous linear system, all the constant terms are equal to zero, while in an inhomogeneous system, at least one constant term is non-zero. This means that a homogeneous system always has a trivial solution (all variables equal to zero), while an inhomogeneous system may have non-trivial solutions.

3. What is the general form of the solutions to an inhomogeneous linear system?

The general form of the solutions to an inhomogeneous linear system is a sum of the particular solution (a set of values that satisfies all the equations) and the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous system. This can be written as x = xp + xh, where xp is the particular solution and xh is the general solution to the homogeneous system.

4. How do you find the particular solution to an inhomogeneous linear system?

The particular solution can be found using the method of undetermined coefficients, where we assume that the particular solution has the same form as the non-constant terms in the equations, and then solve for the coefficients. Another method is the method of variation of parameters, where we express the particular solution as a linear combination of the solutions to the corresponding homogeneous system, and then solve for the coefficients using integrals.

5. Can an inhomogeneous linear system have infinitely many solutions?

Yes, an inhomogeneous linear system can have infinitely many solutions if the homogeneous system has infinitely many solutions. This is because the general solution to the inhomogeneous system includes the general solution to the homogeneous system, which can have infinitely many solutions.