Where to open a door the easiest?

• Thread starter simplyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, applying a small force at the handle can produce the same torque as a larger force applied closer to the hinges.
simplyphysics

Homework Statement

Hi everyone! Here is the question:

Can you open a heavy door more easily if you push at the handle or halfway between the handle and the hinges? Why?

Homework Equations

There may be some equations but I'm more interested in a general 'word' explanation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think that it would be easier to open the door at the handle since it is usually placed at the center of the door, perhaps making the pressure evenly displaced. However, I'm not sure if this is correct and I'd much rather have an answer that has a solid explanation applying the laws of physics. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
simplyphysics said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone! Here is the question:

Can you open a heavy door more easily if you push at the handle or halfway between the handle and the hinges? Why?

Homework Equations

There may be some equations but I'm more interested in a general 'word' explanation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think that it would be easier to open the door at the handle since it is usually placed at the center of the door, perhaps making the pressure evenly displaced. However, I'm not sure if this is correct and I'd much rather have an answer that has a solid explanation applying the laws of physics. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the PF. (and nice avatar BTW)

I think the point of the question is that the handle is at the edge of the door, versus pushing half-way between the handle and the hinges. It takes a torque to rotate the door open. What is the equation for torque in terms of the force and the lever arm length? How can you use that equation to help you answer this question? :smile:

Thanks for your quick response! I think I understand what the question is asking now from your guidance.

The equation for torque is definitely helpful in seeing the relationship between force and distance and how it all affects torque. I see now for my question that applying a small force at the handle can produce the same torque as a larger force applied closer to the hinges; the smaller the distance, the greater the force! I have an additional question…

Imagine a vertical line drawn along the length of a door, and say the door handle is in the middle of that line. Does it take the same amount of force to open the door at any point along that line?

simplyphysics said:
Thanks for your quick response! I think I understand what the question is asking now from your guidance.

The equation for torque is definitely helpful in seeing the relationship between force and distance and how it all affects torque. I see now for my question that applying a small force at the handle can produce the same torque as a larger force applied closer to the hinges; the smaller the distance, the greater the force!

I have an additional question…

Imagine a vertical line drawn along the length of a door, and say the door handle is in the middle of that line. Does it take the same amount of force to open the door at any point along that line?

What are your thoughts on this? Does the distance to the hinges change anywhere on that line?

The distance to the hinges does not change, that is, if the distance is to the axis of the hinges. So I guess if that is the same then the force would be equal along any point on a vertical line.

simplyphysics said:
The distance to the hinges does not change, that is, if the distance is to the axis of the hinges. So I guess if that is the same then the force would be equal along any point on a vertical line.

Correct-a-mundo! :smile:

berkeman said:
Correct-a-mundo! :smile:

Thanks for your help! I may ask for more of it when I get to the electronics section…I see that is your area of expertise!

1. Where should I place the door handle for the easiest opening?

The door handle should be placed at a comfortable height for the majority of users, typically around 36 inches from the floor. It should also be located on the side of the door where the hinges are visible, as this indicates the direction in which the door will open.

2. What type of door swing is easiest to open?

A door with a swing that matches the layout of the room is typically the easiest to open. For example, in a narrow hallway, a door that swings outwards may be easier to open than one that swings into the hallway and takes up space.

3. How wide should the doorway be for easy door opening?

The width of a doorway should be at least 36 inches for easy door opening, as this allows enough space for a person to comfortably move through without any obstructions.

4. Should I use a door knob or a door handle?

A door handle is generally easier to open than a door knob. This is because a door handle can be operated with the entire hand, while a door knob requires fine motor skills and twisting motion which may be difficult for some individuals.

5. Are there any accessible design considerations for easy door opening?

Yes, there are several accessible design considerations that can make door opening easier for individuals with disabilities or mobility limitations. These include using lever-style door handles, ensuring there is enough clearance for wheelchair users, and incorporating automatic doors or assistive technology.