Confused about answer key's solution to a work/energy problem

• Thread starter physics801
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the student is frustrated with problem 1d in their physics placement exam. They have attempted to solve it using a diagram and have referenced the solution manual, but are confused about the use of x_{max} and x in the solution. After discussing with others, it is clarified that x is measured down the slope and therefore is (-x)-(-x_{max}). It is also important to check the sign of the result, which in this case is negative due to the direction of x.
physics801
I'm studying for my college's physics placement and I'm frustrated because I don't get the solution to problem 1d.

Homework Statement

The problem is here: http://ocw.edu.ht/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-1999/exams/exam_2.pdf

Solution manual is here: http://ocw.edu.ht/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-1999/exams/quiz2_sol.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a mspaint diagram of what I have: http://cl.ly/image/3b1o082l1k3a ([itex]x_{max}[/itex] is defined in 1a, which is in the soln manual)

Basically since gravity is opposing the direction of travel (up the ramp), I think the solution to 1d(i) should be [itex]work=-mg(h-h_{max})=-mgsin\theta(x-x_{max}).[/itex] However the solution manual has the same thing except [itex]x_{max}-x[/itex] in the parentheses. Why is this? Shouldn't it be [itex]final - initial[/itex], which means [itex]x-x_{max}[/itex] in the parentheses?

edit: I also have the same question for 1d(ii) and (iii) but hopefully it will be answered by explaining (i)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to decide which way is positive and stick to it.
If the force due to gravity is being taken as negative along the slope then the positive direction is up the slope. But x is measured down the slope, so it's (-x) - (-xmax)
It is always a good idea to sanity-check the sign of a result. It is clear that the work done by gravity here is negative.

Look at the direction of x, what does x mean in terms of the spring?

haruspex said:
You have to decide which way is positive and stick to it.
If the force due to gravity is being taken as negative along the slope then the positive direction is up the slope. But x is measured down the slope, so it's (-x) - (-xmax)
It is always a good idea to sanity-check the sign of a result. It is clear that the work done by gravity here is negative.

Oh whoops, I completely missed that. Thanks for the help!

first

As a scientist, it is important to carefully analyze and understand the solution to a problem before coming to any conclusions or making assumptions. In this case, it may be helpful to review the problem and solution manual multiple times to ensure a full understanding of the problem and the given solution.

It is also important to remember that there may be multiple ways to approach and solve a problem, and there may be slight variations in the approach or notation used in different solutions. It is important to carefully read and understand the solution manual and any given equations or variables, as well as to check for any typos or errors that may have been made.

In this specific case, it seems that the solution manual has used a slightly different notation for the final and initial positions, but the overall approach and solution is the same. It may be helpful to compare your solution to the given solution step by step to identify any differences and understand why they may have occurred. Additionally, reaching out to a tutor or a professor for clarification may also be beneficial in understanding the solution to this problem.

1. What is the work/energy problem?

The work/energy problem is a physics concept that involves calculating the amount of work done on an object or the amount of energy transferred to or from an object. This is typically done by using equations such as W=Fd (work = force x displacement) or KE=1/2mv^2 (kinetic energy = 1/2 x mass x velocity squared).

2. What is an answer key's solution?

An answer key's solution is a set of steps and equations used to solve a work/energy problem and arrive at the correct answer. It is usually provided by a teacher or textbook to help students understand how to solve the problem correctly.

3. Why am I confused about the answer key's solution to a work/energy problem?

There could be several reasons for confusion about the answer key's solution to a work/energy problem. Some common reasons include not fully understanding the concepts involved, making a mistake in the calculations, or not being familiar with the equations used.

4. How can I better understand the answer key's solution to a work/energy problem?

To better understand the answer key's solution, it is important to review the relevant concepts and equations. You can also try working through similar practice problems and comparing your solutions to the answer key. If you are still having trouble, don't hesitate to ask your teacher or a classmate for help.

5. Is there only one correct solution to a work/energy problem?

No, there can be multiple ways to solve a work/energy problem and arrive at the correct answer. However, there are certain principles and equations that must be followed in order to get the correct solution. It is important to carefully check your work and make sure it aligns with the given answer key's solution.