Help solving / check fluid force

In summary: The units given are in feet and the density of water is 62.5 pounds per cubic foot. After performing the necessary calculations, the resulting force is 11,718.75 pounds. The individual who solved the problem is seeking confirmation that their integral was done correctly. In summary, the problem involves calculating the force exerted on a vertical panel at water level with dimensions of 15'x5', using the density of water and the resulting force is 11,718.75 pounds.
mcrew
I have a vertical panel. Top of panel is at water level. Units are in feet. 15'x5'. I calculated the force in pounds. water=62.5 lb/ ft3. I came up with F= 11,718.75 lb
Just double checking this, making sure I did I correctly.
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1408553893.001694.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to tell without more info. Please state the entire problem, exactly as given.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1408657738.852390.jpg

My calculations were 11718.75 pounds. Just trying to verify my answer. I want to make sure I did the integral correctly.

mcrew said:
My calculations were 11718.75 pounds. Just trying to verify my answer. I want to make sure I did the integral correctly.

I confirm that answer.

Nice: a weight (oh, sorry, a force...) in seven digits when the height is given in one.
The integral is correct.

But boy, am I glad I was taught SI units...

Still don't see the problem, exactly as given; do you, o gut peeker ?

BvU said:
Nice: a weight (oh, sorry, a force...) in seven digits when the height is given in one.

Still don't see the problem, exactly as given; do you, o gut peeker ?

Yes, the answer is excessively precise.
The second diagram explains the question well enough, I think. In the OP, I had to assume the answer correct to deduce the question.

This looks correct. (Oops, I was doing PF with my Iphone, and didn't notice the other responses).

Chet

Last edited:

What is fluid force and how does it affect objects?

Fluid force is the force exerted by a fluid, such as water or air, on an object. It is caused by the pressure and viscosity of the fluid. Fluid force can affect an object in various ways, such as pushing or pulling on it, causing it to move or change direction.

How do you calculate fluid force?

Fluid force can be calculated using the formula F = ρAv², where F is the force, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the surface area of the object, and v is the velocity of the fluid. This formula is known as the drag equation and is commonly used in fluid dynamics.

What factors can affect fluid force?

The factors that can affect fluid force include the density and viscosity of the fluid, the size and shape of the object, and the velocity of the fluid. Other factors such as turbulence, surface roughness, and the presence of obstacles can also play a role in determining the amount of fluid force on an object.

How can fluid force be applied in real-life situations?

Fluid force has many practical applications, such as in designing structures to withstand strong winds or water currents, predicting the movement of fluids in pipes or channels, and studying the flight of airplanes or birds. It is also used in sports such as swimming and surfing, where understanding and manipulating fluid force can improve performance.

How can I check if my calculations for fluid force are accurate?

To check the accuracy of your fluid force calculations, you can compare them to experimental results or use computer simulations. It is also important to double-check your equations and units to ensure they are correct. If possible, it is always best to have a colleague or peer review your calculations to catch any potential errors.