How Do You Solve the Kinematics Ratio Problem for a Particle's Journey?

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a particle's projected motion and finding the ratio between the time it takes to reach the maximum height and the time it takes to fall from that height to the ground. The options given are 1:3, 3:1, 5:3, 3:5 and the person is struggling to find the correct ratio despite using equations of motion. They also mention considering the time it takes to fall from the maximum height and a fraction of that height. They question if there are any additional formulas they should know to solve the problem.
croslali
I was given this worksheet from my teacher and well I am finding it really tough so far .. the question below is just crushing my skull .. so i would appreciate it if you guys would guide me through it

"A particle projected from ground takes time 't1' to reach 15/16 H and time 't2' to cover the rest of distance to the ground. If 'H' is the maximum height attained. find the ratio t1: t2

well my options were many ... they were 1:3 ,3:1, 5:3 and 3:5

and well using my knowledge of atleast what i know is: 1)the object has almost reached the max height so the ratio won't be that big 2)i tried using the equations of motions and to no avail i still didnt get anywhere 3)[usin(thetha)(t1)]-[(1/2)g(t1)^2]=(15/16)H 4)and [(usin(thetha)^2]/2g=H

keeping in mind that t2 has to obviously be greater than t1 ... the second and the third options are eliminated ... well it surely can't be 1:3(maybe) .. because that is a really big ratio ...

is there some other extra formula or something other than the common formulae (like max height and range and splitting of vectors)i am supposed to know to solve this question am i missing out anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this. How long does it take to fall from a height H? How long does it take to fall a distance H/16?

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces causing the motion.

What are the three main concepts in kinematics?

The three main concepts in kinematics are position, velocity, and acceleration. Position is the location of an object in space, velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, and acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity.

What is a kinematics problem?

A kinematics problem is a physics problem that involves finding the position, velocity, or acceleration of an object given certain information about its motion.

What are the different types of kinematic equations?

The different types of kinematic equations are the equations for constant acceleration, constant velocity, and projectile motion. These equations relate the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object to each other.

How do I solve a kinematics problem?

To solve a kinematics problem, you need to first identify the given information and what you are trying to find. Then, you can use the appropriate kinematic equation and plug in the values to solve for the unknown variable. It is also important to pay attention to units and use the correct equations for the given scenario.