Trivial question about electric potential

In summary: The correct answer should be V(b)<V(a).In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of potential between the plates of a spherical capacitor. The electric field is computed using Gauss's law and the potential is calculated by integrating along a path from r=b to r=a. The potential difference between plates is found to be V(b)>V(a), which is incorrect. The mistake is in writing d\vec{l} = -dr\;\hat{r} when integrating from b to a, as the negative sign should not be there. The correct answer is V(b)<V(a).
ppedro
Hi! I'm having an hard time with a trivial question that suddenly I can't figure out: Computing the potential between the plates of a spherical capacitor.

The problem is taken from this url (first page and a half): http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/physics/current/teach/module_home/px263/assignments/assignment2_soln.pdf

Imagine a spherical capacitor in which the inner surface has radius [itex]a[/itex] and the outer surface radius [itex]b[/itex], so [itex]a<b[/itex]. The inner surface has a total charge of [itex]Q[/itex] and he outer surface has a total charge of [itex]-Q[/itex]. The electric field can be easily computed by Gauss's law and points radially outwards; the potential between the plates is computed from it using

[itex] V(\vec{r})=-\intop_{O}^{\vec{r}}\overrightarrow{E}\cdot d\overrightarrow{l} [/itex]If you check the document you can see they do the calculation in the path from [itex]r=b[/itex] to [itex]r=a[/itex], obtaining the potential difference between plates

[itex] V(b)-V(a)=\frac{Q}{4\pi\varepsilon_{0}}(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b})>0\Leftrightarrow V(b)>V(a) [/itex]

Is this correct? We know the eletric field points in the direction of decreasing potential but, from this example it is pointing in the direction of increasing potential. Why is this?

I was doing the integration going from [itex]r=a[/itex] to [itex]r=b[/itex] and I correctly (in my mind) get [itex]V(b)<V(a)[/itex]. Since we're moving in the positive direction of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] the dot product with [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] will be positive at all times, because [itex]\vec{E}\cdot d\overrightarrow{l}=E\hat{r}\cdot dr\hat{r}=Edr[/itex]

[itex] V(b)-V(a)=-\intop_{a}^{b}\overrightarrow{E}\cdot d\overrightarrow{l}=-\intop_{a}^{b}\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r^{2}}dr=\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}(\frac{1}{b}-\frac{1}{a})<0\Leftrightarrow V(b)<V(a) [/itex]

But the thing is, if I try to do it from [itex]r=b[/itex] to [itex]r=a[/itex] as in that solution sheet, I get the opposite, just like them.

[itex] V(a)-V(b)=-\intop_{b}^{a}\overrightarrow{E}\cdot d\overrightarrow{l}=-\intop_{b}^{a}-\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r^{2}}dr=\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}(\frac{1}{b}-\frac{1}{a})<0\Leftrightarrow V(b)>V(a) [/itex]

So, where is the confusion? Which way is right and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, ppedro. The mistake is in writing ##d\vec{l} = -dr\;\hat{r}## when integrating from b to a. The negative sign should not be there.

You should always write ##d\vec{l} = dr\;\hat{r}## whether you integrate outward along a radius from a to b or inward along a radius from b to a.

When integrating outward, the infinitesimal change in r, dr, is positive which makes ##d\vec{l} = dr\;\hat{r}## point outward, as it should.

When integrating inward from b to a, dr is negative. Then ##d\vec{l} = dr\;\hat{r}## points inward, as it should.

TSny said:
Hello, ppedro. The mistake is in writing ##d\vec{l} = -dr\;\hat{r}## when integrating from b to a. The negative sign should not be there.

You should always write ##d\vec{l} = dr\;\hat{r}## whether you integrate outward along a radius from a to b or inward along a radius from b to a.

When integrating outward, the infinitesimal change in r, dr, is positive which makes ##d\vec{l} = dr\;\hat{r}## point outward, as it should.

When integrating inward from b to a, dr is negative. Then ##d\vec{l} = dr\;\hat{r}## points inward, as it should.

The most common confusion students have when they first study electric potential .Your analysis is spot on :smile:

Thanks TSny! It makes sense. But that would mean the answer in the solution sheet I shared is wrong, right?

Yes, the solution sheet is wrong.

Likes 1 person

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts.

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the energy of a charged particle at a specific point in an electric field. Electric field, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric potential?

The formula for calculating electric potential is V = kq/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance between the particle and the point at which the potential is being calculated.

4. How is electric potential related to electric potential energy?

Electric potential is directly related to electric potential energy. The electric potential energy of a charged particle is equal to the product of its charge and the electric potential at its position.

5. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. It depends on the direction of the electric field and the position of the charged particle. A negative electric potential means that the particle has less potential energy at that point compared to a point with zero electric potential.