Can I Create a Remote-Controlled TV With Electronics?

• Thread starter iggybaseball
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronics
In summary, the speaker is suggesting that using a laser pointer may be a simpler solution for the desired project instead of using radio frequency (RF) technology. However, if the person still wants to use RF, it is recommended to use the unlicensed 2.4GHz ISM band, although there may be interference from WiFi and microwave ovens. Alternatively, an unlicensed RF transmitter in the FM radio band could also be used, but the power must be kept low and the local FM radio stations must be avoided.
iggybaseball
I have little experience with electronics so I was wondering if this idea was feasible. If so, I'll know that I'm on the right path; any suggestions are welcomed. I would like do a simple project for myself. It basically goes like this:
I want to take a remote control for a tv, and where the power button is, I want to attach a small circuit that will pick up radio waves. Then I want to create a simple transmitter that will allow me to press a button, which will send a radiowave to the remote control and act as if it was me pressing the button. As a result the tv turns on. Is my logic valid? Any links that could help with researching this? Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can do what you want with RF, but there are several limitations and problems for your home-brew application. Would maybe using a laser pointer to hit the remote and turn on the TV do the same thing for you? If it would, then you wouldn't have to worry about stuff like an RF link's reliability, interference that keeps it from working, interference that turns your TV on and off when you don't want it to, you interfering with your neighbors who listen to off-the-air TV and radio, you interfering with police and fire frequencies, the pesky FCC, etc.

If you have your heart set on RF, then the unlicensed 2.4GHz ISM band is probably the safest to use. Except for all the WiFi stuff and the microwave oven noise there... You can also do an unlicensed RF transmitter in the FM radio band, but the power has to be kept really low (like the wireless microphone kits you get at radio shack), and you'll have to work a bit to dodge the local FM radio stations.

Yes, it is definitely possible to create a remote-controlled TV using electronics. In fact, many modern TVs already come with a remote control that uses infrared or radio frequency signals to control the TV. However, creating your own remote control for a TV can be a fun and educational project.

Your idea of using a small circuit to pick up radio waves and a transmitter to send signals to the TV remote is a valid approach. This can be achieved by using a microcontroller, such as an Arduino, to receive and transmit the signals. You can also use off-the-shelf components like RF modules and infrared receivers to simplify the circuit design.

As for research, there are many online resources that can help you with your project. You can start by researching basic electronics concepts, such as how to use a microcontroller and how to transmit and receive signals. You can also find tutorials and projects related to remote controls and TVs on websites like Instructables and Hackster.

Remember to always be cautious when working with electronics and follow safety precautions. Good luck with your project!

1. Can I use any type of electronics to create a remote-controlled TV?

No, you will need electronics with specific capabilities such as infrared (IR) or radio frequency (RF) communication to control the TV's functions remotely.

2. Do I need to have any prior knowledge or experience in electronics?

Yes, creating a remote-controlled TV will require a basic understanding of electronic components and circuitry, as well as programming skills.

3. How difficult is it to create a remote-controlled TV with electronics?

The difficulty level will depend on your level of knowledge and experience in electronics. It can range from moderately difficult to very challenging, depending on the complexity of the TV and the type of electronics you are using.

4. Can I use a universal remote to control my TV instead of creating a custom one?

Yes, you can use a universal remote that is compatible with your TV to control its functions. However, if you want to create a custom remote with specific features, you will need to use electronics.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with electronics to create a remote-controlled TV?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area. Additionally, make sure to disconnect all power sources before working with electronics to avoid electric shocks.