Orientational Polarization & Silicon Oxide Permittivity

In summary, orientational polarization may contribute to the permittivity of silicon oxide in both crystal and amorphous forms, depending on the frequency range. It is important to consider this type of polarization in solids containing polar molecules. However, in amorphous silica, the contribution of orientational polarization is not significant. Other solids, such as soda lime glass, may have a higher static dielectric constant due to the involvement of ionic motion.
hjq_seu
I want to know if the orientational polarization should be included when you calculate the permittivity of the silicon oxide (both crystal and amorphous)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think yes unless you're limiting yourself to a frequency range where it's contribution is small. Don't take this as authorative advice though

Permittivity can vary with polarisation. In the optical regime, this is known as birefringence. Amorphous silica does not exhibit significant birefringence, but crystalline silica might, I cannot recall off the top of my head though. This data should be readily available however.

Claude.

P.S. Does that answer your question?

In most solid there are three kinds of polarization that may contribute to the permittivity,viz Eletronic polarization,orientational polarization and Atomic ploraization.If the solid contains polar molecules,the orientational polarization should be considered. I want to know if the permittivity of silicon oxide (both crystal and amorphous) relates to the orientational polarization.

hjq_seu said:
In most solid there are three kinds of polarization that may contribute to the permittivity,viz Eletronic polarization,orientational polarization and Atomic ploraization.
Polar liquids have orientational polarization at frequencies that are not too high.

That is why water has such a high relative dielectric constant (about 80).
But the static dielectric constant of ice is only 3.

Does it mean that orientational polarization will not affect the permittivity of the other solid?

Pieter Kuiper said:
Polar liquids have orientational polarization at frequencies that are not too high.
That is why water has such a high relative dielectric constant (about 80).
But the static dielectric constant of ice is only 3.

Maybe there are solids with orientational polarization. I cannot imagine how SiO2 could be one of them, but I am do not really know what might happen in amorphous SiO2.

Soda ime glass has a static dielectric constant of about 7, depending on composition. I think ionic motion is involved there.

1. What is orientational polarization?

Orientational polarization refers to the alignment of polar molecules in an electric field, resulting in an induced dipole moment and the creation of a net polarization in the material.

2. How does silicon oxide affect permittivity?

Silicon oxide, also known as silica, is a common dielectric material used in electronic devices. It has a relatively high permittivity, meaning it can store a large amount of electric charge per unit area when an electric field is applied.

3. What is the relationship between orientational polarization and permittivity?

Orientational polarization is one of the mechanisms that contribute to the overall permittivity of a material. The extent of orientational polarization depends on the polarizability of the molecules and the strength of the applied electric field.

4. How does temperature affect orientational polarization?

As temperature increases, the thermal energy of molecules also increases, making them less susceptible to orientational polarization. Therefore, the degree of orientational polarization decreases with increasing temperature.

5. Can the permittivity of silicon oxide be modified?

Yes, the permittivity of silicon oxide can be modified by changing its composition or structure. For example, by introducing impurities or using different deposition techniques, the permittivity of silicon oxide can be altered to suit specific applications.