Weinberg, Vol. 1: Path Integrals Query

In summary, the conversation revolves around the path integral quantization of QED in Weinberg's Vol. 1. The main concern is the integration of matter field momenta for spinor fields, which is not usually done. There is also a discussion on the convention of treating \psi^\dagger as an independent field. The conversation ends with a request for a reference or hint on integrating out the adjoint spinor.
Reggaerules
I am trying to study QFT from Weinberg's Vol. 1.

I am at the moment stuck at the path integral quantization of QED (Weinberg's treatment).

I am not sure how he integrates out the matter field momenta (for the spinor field) in eq. (9.6.5). I thought for spinor fields you don't do that.

I thought that there should be integration with respect to p_m as given in eq. (9.5.56).

Any help will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think he just didn't bother to write [itex]d\psi^\dagger[/itex]. This is essentially a matter of convention as to whether we think of [itex]\psi^\dagger[/itex] as an independent field or not.

QFT: Path Integrals, Weinberg Vol. 1

I had e-mailed SW about this, he told me that it was integrated out.

My understanding is fairly minimal, but from (9.5.1), (9.5.49) and (9.5.52), I didn't think
the adjoint spinor could be integrated out. If you could give me a reference, and/or a hint that would be great. I thought one needed equal amounts of \psi and \psi adjoint terms.

Thanks for your message.

1. What is the purpose of "Weinberg, Vol. 1: Path Integrals Query"?

The purpose of "Weinberg, Vol. 1: Path Integrals Query" is to provide a comprehensive understanding of path integrals in quantum field theory, a mathematical tool used to calculate probabilities and amplitudes in quantum mechanics.

2. Who is the author of "Weinberg, Vol. 1: Path Integrals Query"?

The author of "Weinberg, Vol. 1: Path Integrals Query" is Steven Weinberg, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist known for his contributions to theoretical physics and cosmology.

3. What level of knowledge is required to understand "Weinberg, Vol. 1: Path Integrals Query"?

"Weinberg, Vol. 1: Path Integrals Query" is intended for advanced undergraduate and graduate students in physics and mathematics, as well as researchers and professionals in the field of theoretical physics. A strong background in quantum mechanics and mathematical analysis is recommended.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading "Weinberg, Vol. 1: Path Integrals Query"?

Yes, "Weinberg, Vol. 1: Path Integrals Query" assumes prior knowledge of basic quantum mechanics, including concepts such as wavefunctions, operators, and the Schrödinger equation. It also requires familiarity with mathematical techniques such as complex analysis, differential equations, and linear algebra.

5. Is "Weinberg, Vol. 1: Path Integrals Query" a standalone book or part of a series?

"Weinberg, Vol. 1: Path Integrals Query" is the first volume in a three-part series by Steven Weinberg on quantum field theory. The other two volumes are "The Quantum Theory of Fields, Volume II: Modern Applications" and "The Quantum Theory of Fields, Volume III: Supersymmetry".