How can we use a unit vector to solve for the length of EF in a trapezium?

In summary, the problem involves a trapezium ABCD with AB parallel to CD. The goal is to show that the line joining the midpoints of the diagonals is parallel to AB and CD and that its length is half the difference between the lengths of AB and CD. The midpoint of AC is labeled as E and the midpoint of BD is labeled as F. The expression for the vector EF is given as (1/2)b + (1/2)(d-c) and the solution involves changing this to (1/2)b - (1/2)(c-d). The unit vector "u" is introduced and the solution continues to show that the length of EF is equal to (1/2)(|AB|
synkk
Given a trapezium ABCD with AB parallel to CD. Show that the line joining the midpoints of the diagonals is parallel to AB & CD (done). Show also that its length is the difference of AB and CD.

working:

I called the midpoint of AC, E and the midpoint of BD, F

Then found that ## \displaystyle \vec{EF} = \frac{1}{2}b + \frac{1}{2}(d-c) ## now I wasn't sure where to go from here so took a look at the solutions,

they change ## \displaystyle \vec{EF} = \frac{1}{2}b - \frac{1}{2}(c-d) ## which I understand why, however the next step baffles me

they go from:
## \displaystyle \vec{EF} = \frac{1}{2}b - \frac{1}{2}(c-d) ##
to
## \displaystyle |\vec{EF}|\hat{u} = \frac{1}{2} |\vec{AB}|\hat{u} - \frac{1}{2}|\vec{DC}|\hat{u} ##

then go on to say that the length EF is ## \frac{1}{2}(|\vec{AB}| - |\vec{DC}|) ##

what I don't understand is how the unit vector "u" got introduced, and why was it introduced? I'm not very good at maths, so please explain this in as most basic terms as possible.

I apologise for not being able to bold "a" "b" "c" "u" etc, I have no idea how to do it via latex, but they are vectors (supposed to be).

Physics news on Phys.org
synkk said:
Given a trapezium ABCD with AB parallel to CD. Show that the line joining the midpoints of the diagonals is parallel to AB & CD (done). Show also that its length is the difference of AB and CD.

working:

Then found that ## \displaystyle \vec{EF} = \frac{1}{2}b + \frac{1}{2}(d-c) ## now I wasn't sure where to go from here so took a look at the solutions,

What are ##b,~d,~c##?

LCKurtz said:
What are ##b,~d,~c##?

The position vector of point B,D,C I'm assuming

position vector of B D C

synkk said:

working:

Given that ##a,b,c,d## are position vectors to ##A,B,C,D##, that is not the correct expression for ##\vec{EF}##. You should get$$
\vec{EF} =\frac 1 2(b-a) + \frac 1 2(d-c)$$From this it follows immediately that the length of EF is half the difference of the lengths of AB and CD, which leads me to believe the result of the problem is also stated incorrectly. You don't need to mess around with unit vectors at all.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Given that ##a,b,c,d## are position vectors to ##A,B,C,D##, that is not the correct expression for ##\vec{EF}##. You should get$$
\vec{EF} =\frac 1 2(b-a) + \frac 1 2(d-c)$$From this it follows immediately that the length of EF is half the difference of the lengths of AB and CD, which leads me to believe the result of the problem is also stated incorrectly. You don't need to mess around with unit vectors at all.
nevermind

I took A to be the centre (as did the solutions)

You "took A to be the centre" of what? The problem says that A is one vertex of the trapezium.

The last part, "its length is the difference of AB and CD" simply isn't true. The distance between the midpoints is half the difference between the lengths of AB and CD.

For the entire problem you can do this (not using vectors): set up a Cartesian coordinate system with the origin at A and positive x-axis along side AB. Then A is (0, 0) and B is (a, 0) for some positive number, a. We can take D to be (b, c) and C to be (d, c) with b< d. (Since CD is parallel to AB, it is parallel to the x-axis so C and D have the same y coordinate.)

The midpoint of diagonal AC is (d/2, c/2) and the midpoint of diagonal BD is ((a+ b)/2, c/2). Since the two midpoints have the same y coordinate the line through them is parallel to the x-axis and so parallel to the two parallel sides of the trapezium.

The distance between the two midpoints is (a+b)/2- d/2= (a+b- d)/2. The length of AB is a and the length of CD is d- b. The difference in lengths is a- (d- b)= a+ b- d.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
You "took A to be the centre" of what? The problem says that A is one vertex of the trapezium.

The last part, "its length is the difference of AB and CD" simply isn't true. The distance between the midpoints is half the difference between the lengths of AB and CD.

For the entire problem you can do this (not using vectors): set up a Cartesian coordinate system with the origin at A and positive x-axis along side AB. Then A is (0, 0) and B is (a, 0) for some positive number, a. We can take D to be (b, c) and C to be (d, c) with b< d. (Since CD is parallel to AB, it is parallel to the x-axis so C and D have the same y coordinate.)

The midpoint of diagonal AC is (d/2, c/2) and the midpoint of diagonal BD is ((a+ b)/2, c/2). Since the two midpoints have the same y coordinate the line through them is parallel to the x-axis and so parallel to the two parallel sides of the trapezium.

The distance between the two midpoints is (a+b)/2- d/2= (a+b- d)/2. The length of AB is a and the length of CD is d- b. The difference in lengths is a- (d- b)= a+ b- d.
OK perhaps I should have started this off with the diagram I drew (it is attached).

Perhaps I typed up the question wrong (I don't have it right now), but the diagram goes with the working above, if you could please take a look at it.

Attachments

• vector.png
    vector.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 438
synkk said:
OK perhaps I should have started this off with the diagram I drew (it is attached).

Perhaps I typed up the question wrong (I don't have it right now), but the diagram goes with the working above, if you could please take a look at it.

That is the diagram I used for post #5, to which you responded in post #6 "nevermind", whatever that is supposed to mean. You never did address the issue of whether you understood the problem is stated incorrectly or that the proof is apparent from what I posted.

LCKurtz said:
That is the diagram I used for post #5, to which you responded in post #6 "nevermind", whatever that is supposed to mean. You never did address the issue of whether you understood the problem is stated incorrectly or that the proof is apparent from what I posted.

I understand the problem is stated incorrectly, but I'm still confused as why they used a unit vector. I don't think you took A to be the origin, else you would not have gotten (b-a) in your expression.

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector that has a magnitude of 1 and is used to indicate direction. It is commonly denoted by a lowercase letter with a hat ( ̂ ) on top, such as ̂v.

2. How do you find the unit vector of a given vector?

To find the unit vector of a given vector, you divide the vector by its magnitude. This will result in a vector with the same direction but a magnitude of 1.

3. What is the significance of unit vectors in physics?

Unit vectors are important in physics because they are used to represent direction and can be used to break down a vector into its components. They are also used in calculations involving forces, velocity, and acceleration.

4. Can a unit vector have a negative magnitude?

No, a unit vector by definition has a magnitude of 1, which is always positive. Negative values only apply to the direction of the vector, not its magnitude.

5. How is distance calculated between two points in 3-dimensional space?

In 3-dimensional space, distance is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, just as in 2-dimensional space. The only difference is that there is an additional component (z-axis) to consider. Therefore, the formula for distance between two points (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2) is: distance = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2 + (z2-z1)^2).