Notation for the Dual of a Vector Space

In summary, the use of ##V^\vee## to denote the dual space of a vector space ##V## may be to avoid confusion with using ##R^*## to denote the units of ##R##. However, the reasoning behind using the "\vee" symbol is still unclear.
Mandelbroth
I've been reading about algebraic geometry lately. I see that a lot of authors use ##V^\vee## to denote the dual space of a vector space ##V##. Is there any particular reason for this?

The only reason I could think of is that this notation leaves us free to use ##R^*## to denote the units of ##R##. However, this still doesn't make sense of the reasoning behind the notation.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by the units of R, how do you define the dual of a ring? Do you define the ring as a module over itself and then define its dual?

Bacle2 said:
What do you mean by the units of R, how do you define the dual of a ring? Do you define the ring as a module over itself and then define its dual?
Sorry. I'm saying that the notation prevents confusion between the dual of a vector space and the group of units of a ring. The question is why the "\vee" is used.

1. What is the notation for the dual of a vector space?

The notation for the dual of a vector space is V* or V', where V represents the original vector space.

2. How is the dual of a vector space defined?

The dual of a vector space is defined as the set of all linear functionals on the original vector space.

3. What is the relationship between a vector and its dual?

The dual of a vector space is a vector space itself, and the elements of the dual space are linear functionals that map vectors to scalars. This means that the dual space is made up of functions that operate on vectors and return a scalar value.

4. How is the dual basis of a vector space determined?

The dual basis of a vector space is determined by taking the basis vectors of the original vector space and applying a linear functional to each one. This results in a set of functionals that form the basis for the dual space.

5. What is the significance of the dual space in linear algebra?

The dual space is important in linear algebra because it provides a way to characterize and describe linear transformations. It also allows for the definition of important concepts such as dual bases, dual maps, and dual vector spaces, which are essential in many areas of mathematics and physics.