Short Exact Sequences and at Tensor Product

In summary, the conversation discusses a short exact sequence with Z-modules A and B, where A is isomorphic to B. It is mentioned that tensor product is right-exact, and for a ring R, the sequence 0-> A(x)R-> B(x)R ->0 is also exact. The question is then posed whether A(x)R and B(x)R are isomorphic, and it is suspected that they are not if R has torsion. An example is requested where A(x)R and B(x)R are isomorphic, but A and B are not. One example is presented using the relation between tensor products of Z-modules.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,let:

0->A-> B -> 0

; A,B Z-modules, be a short exact sequence. It follows A is isomorphic with B.

. We have that tensor product is

right-exact , so that, for a ring R:

0-> A(x)R-> B(x)R ->0

is also exact. STILL: are A(x)R , B(x)R isomorphic?

I suspect no, if R has torsion. Anyone have an example of

A(x)R , B(x)R non-isomorphic, but A,B isomorphic? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Hi,let:

0->A-> B -> 0

; A,B Z-modules, be a short exact sequence. It follows A is isomorphic with B.

. We have that tensor product is

right-exact , so that, for a ring R:

0-> A(x)R-> B(x)R ->0

is also exact. STILL: are A(x)R , B(x)R isomorphic?

Yes, they are. You should look for a proof.

Sorry, that is not what I meant to ask, instead , I am looking for an example where:

A(x)R , B(x)R are isomorphic,

but A,B are not isomorphic.

Thanks.

WWGD said:
Sorry, that is not what I meant to ask, instead , I am looking for an example where:

A(x)R , B(x)R are isomorphic,

but A,B are not isomorphic.

Thanks.

Oops, I never saw your reply. Weird. Anyway, consider

[tex]\mathbb{Z}\otimes_\mathbb{Z} \mathbb{Z}_2\cong \mathbb{Z}_2 \cong \mathbb{Z}_2 \otimes_\mathbb{Z}\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex]

In general, we have the relation

[tex]\mathbb{Z}_n\otimes_\mathbb{Z} \mathbb{Z}_m \cong \mathbb{Z}_\text{gcd(m,n)}[/tex]

This result will also give you a wealth of counterexamples (note that the above still holds if we define ##\mathbb{Z}_0 = \mathbb{Z}##)

A, thanks, nice.

1. What is a short exact sequence?

A short exact sequence is a sequence of mathematical objects or structures in which each object is related to the next by a homomorphism, and the sequence satisfies certain conditions such as exactness at each object.

2. What is the purpose of studying short exact sequences?

Short exact sequences are important in mathematics because they allow us to understand the relationships between different mathematical objects or structures. They also provide a useful framework for solving problems and proving theorems.

3. What is the tensor product of two objects?

The tensor product of two objects is a mathematical operation that combines the two objects in a way that preserves certain properties. It is often used in algebraic structures such as vector spaces, modules, and algebras.

4. How is the tensor product related to short exact sequences?

The tensor product can be used to construct short exact sequences. In particular, if we have two short exact sequences, their tensor product will also be a short exact sequence.

5. What are some applications of short exact sequences and tensor products?

Short exact sequences and tensor products have numerous applications in mathematics and other scientific fields. In algebraic geometry, they are used to study sheaf cohomology and algebraic cycles. In representation theory, they are used to study modules and group representations. They also have applications in physics, including quantum mechanics and general relativity.