Use Gaussian elimination with back substitution?

In summary, to solve the given system of equations, one can use Gaussian elimination with back substitution. The answer to the system is (1, 0, 0). It is recommended to use brackets for determinants and parentheses for matrices, but the choice may vary. The augmented matrix should have a vertical line before the final column to indicate coefficients and constants. The next step is to perform Gaussian elimination to solve the system.
Math10
Use Gaussian elimination with back substitution to solve the following system:

x1+x2+x3=1,
x1+2x2+2x3=1,
x1+2x2+3x3=1.

The answer is (1, 0, 0) and I know how to solve the problem but I just don't know if I should use bracket or the big parentheses for this type of problem when I solve this problem. Can anyone please provide me the work for this problem? Like do I use equal sign between the two bracket matrixes?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you show us a scanned image of your work, we can better understand/help you. Brackets are usually used to denote determinants, parentheses are used for matrices.

If you are to use Gaussian elimination you set up the augmented matrix. Whether you write the matrix as
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 2 & 2 & 1 \\ 1 & 2 & 3 & 1 \end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

or
[tex]
\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 2 & 2 & 1 \\ 1 & 2 & 3 & 1 \end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

is immaterial: some books use the first version, some the second. The thing in common is that (when you write by hand or see them in texts) there is typically a solid or dashed vertical line immediately before the final column (the line goes where the equal signs would be). That is used as a visual reminder that the numbers to the left are coefficients of equations while those to the right are the constants from the equations' right sides. Once you have the matrix set up you do the Guassian elimination work (which you need to do).

Likes 1 person
Thank you, guys. I appreciated.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I can provide you a response to your query.

Gaussian elimination with back substitution is a method used to solve a system of linear equations. It involves using elementary row operations to transform the system into an upper triangular form and then using back substitution to find the values of the variables.

To solve the system provided, we can represent the equations in matrix form as follows:

|1 1 1| |x1| = |1|
|1 2 2| |x2| = |1|
|1 2 3| |x3| = |1|

We can use Gaussian elimination to transform this matrix into an upper triangular form. We can then use back substitution to find the values of x1, x2, and x3.

To answer your question regarding the use of brackets or parentheses, either one can be used to represent a matrix. It is a matter of personal preference. In this case, we can use either one.

I have attached a photo of the work for this problem, using equal signs between the matrices. Please note that there may be slight variations in the steps depending on the method used for Gaussian elimination.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

1. What is Gaussian elimination with back substitution?

Gaussian elimination with back substitution is a method used to solve systems of linear equations. It involves using a series of row operations to transform the original system into a simpler form, ultimately resulting in a solution for the variables in the system.

2. When is Gaussian elimination with back substitution used?

Gaussian elimination with back substitution is often used when solving systems of linear equations in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can also be used in computer science and economics.

3. How does Gaussian elimination with back substitution work?

The method involves using row operations, such as multiplying a row by a constant or adding one row to another, to eliminate variables from the system of equations. This continues until the system is reduced to a triangular form, making it easier to solve using back substitution.

4. What are the advantages of using Gaussian elimination with back substitution?

Gaussian elimination with back substitution is a reliable and efficient method for solving systems of linear equations. It can handle large systems with many variables and is less prone to errors compared to other methods.

5. Are there any limitations to Gaussian elimination with back substitution?

While Gaussian elimination with back substitution is a powerful method, it may not work for all systems of linear equations. Some systems may not have a unique solution or may have infinitely many solutions, making it impossible to use this method to find a solution.