Looking for Experimental Nuclear Physicists and Nuclear Engineers

In summary, the individual is seeking a mentor with experience in nuclear physics and radiation sources for a nuclear battery project. They inquire about finding a physicist or engineer near Memphis, TN and receive suggestions to reach out to Memphis State or the University of Missouri at Rolla. Questions are also asked about the individual's equipment and proximity to a research reactor.
zephramcochran
Hi All,

I want to run some small nuclear transmutation experiments for a nuclear battery project. However, my knowledge of nuclear physics is very theoretical and I was looking to get mentored by a physicist or nuclear engineer who has experience with working with radiation sources. Here is my question:

Does anyone know an experimental nuclear physicist or nuclear engineer located near Memphis, TN willing to help mentor a young engineer?

Or better, is anyone on this a forum an experimental nuclear physicist or nuclear engineer located near Memphis, TN?

Thanks,

Zeph

Engineering news on Phys.org
zeph - I doubt you will have much luck attracting help this way. Consider working through a teacher or professor if you are in school.

zephramcochran said:
Hi All,

I want to run some small nuclear transmutation experiments for a nuclear battery project. However, my knowledge of nuclear physics is very theoretical and I was looking to get mentored by a physicist or nuclear engineer who has experience with working with radiation sources. Here is my question:

Does anyone know an experimental nuclear physicist or nuclear engineer located near Memphis, TN willing to help mentor a young engineer?

you might try Memphis State. I see they offer a few nuclear courses.

https://www.memphis.edu/physics/grad_physics.htm

see physics 6021 and 6110

What kind of equipment and lab are you working with?
And what's your idea of "close" ? U of Missouri at Rolla has a research reactor.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is experimental nuclear physics and engineering?

Experimental nuclear physics and engineering is a field of scientific research that involves studying the behavior and properties of atomic nuclei through experiments. This includes studying nuclear reactions, nuclear energy, and the structure of the nucleus.

2. What skills are required for a career in experimental nuclear physics and engineering?

A strong background in physics, mathematics, and computer programming is essential for a career in experimental nuclear physics and engineering. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail are important skills for conducting experiments and analyzing data.

3. What kind of work do experimental nuclear physicists and nuclear engineers do?

Experimental nuclear physicists and nuclear engineers design, conduct, and analyze experiments to study the properties of atomic nuclei. They may also work on developing new technologies and applications related to nuclear energy and radiation. This work may involve both theoretical and practical aspects.

4. What are some potential risks associated with working in experimental nuclear physics and engineering?

Working with nuclear materials and radiation carries inherent risks. Scientists and engineers in this field must strictly adhere to safety protocols and procedures to minimize the risk of exposure. Additionally, there may be potential risks associated with the use of nuclear energy and waste management.

5. What are the current challenges and opportunities in the field of experimental nuclear physics and engineering?

One of the main challenges in this field is the safe and responsible management of nuclear energy and waste. This includes developing more efficient and sustainable methods of nuclear energy production and finding solutions for long-term storage of nuclear waste. However, there are also many opportunities for advancements in technology and applications, such as in the medical field with the use of nuclear imaging and cancer treatments.