Throwing a Ball from a Roof: Calculating Velocity & Angle

In summary: Both would work .. i think the latter is easier to use, so let's use that. We can rearrange it to get u= -at.So the vertical component of the initial velocity is -at. Now, we know the time it takes to reach the maximum height is half the total time in flight. How can we use this information to find the total time of flight?We can use t=2h/vy .. Yes, and since we know the maximum height and vy=-at, we can substitute and solve for t. So, t=2(12)/(-a) = 2(12)/(-9.8) = 2.45 seconds. This is the total time
bricker9236

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown OFF a roof at a height 35.0m above ground. The ball hits the ground 29m from the base of the building. the max height of the balls trajectory is 12 m above the height from which the thrower released it.

a) find the initial vertical component of the velocity.
b) find the total time that the ball is in flight (from the time it is thrown until it lands on the ground)
c) find the horizontal compoent of the initial velocity required for the ball to land 29 m away from the building.
d) at what angle is the ball thrown from the roof? (measure angle above horizontal =0 degrees)

Homework Equations

Not sure, I was just randomly trying to figure it out and this problem frustrated me.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 10.9 .. that is the answer i got, if anyone could confirm or help me out.
b) 2.22 seconds
c) 14.23 m/s not sure, again
d) 40 degrees again, not very sure .. i used tan inverse of 12/29 wasnt sure if it shiould be tan inverse of (35+12)/29 not sure

Physics news on Phys.org
bricker9236 said:

Homework Equations

Not sure, I was just randomly trying to figure it out and this problem frustrated me.

So let's use these

[tex]y=y_0 +ut -\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

[tex]v^2=u^2-2g(y-y_0)[/tex]

[tex]v=u+at[/tex]

u=initial velocity
v=final velocity
y0=initial height.

bricker9236 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 10.9 .. that is the answer i got, if anyone could confirm or help me out.
b) 2.22 seconds
c) 14.23 m/s not sure, again
d) 40 degrees again, not very sure .. i used tan inverse of 12/29 wasnt sure if it shiould be tan inverse of (35+12)/29 not sure

Can't really check your answers if you yourself don't know how you got them.

Now we start, let's call the vertical component of velocity vy and the horizontal vx

We are given the maximum height as 12m from the height thrown. What do you know about the final vertical velocity at the maximum height?

the final vertical velocity at max height would be 0 bc at any max height the velocity is always 0

bricker9236 said:
the final vertical velocity at max height would be 0 bc at any max height the velocity is always 0

Right, so using vy=0, in our possible equations containing v, we can get

[tex]0=u^2-2g(y-y_0)[/tex]

or

[tex]0=u+at[/tex]

Which would you like to use or which do you think is better to use?

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a ball thrown from a roof?

The velocity of a ball thrown from a roof can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the roof.

2. What is the optimal angle for throwing a ball from a roof for maximum distance?

The optimal angle for throwing a ball from a roof for maximum distance is 45 degrees. This is because at this angle, the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity are equal, resulting in the longest possible distance.

3. How does air resistance affect the velocity and angle of a ball thrown from a roof?

Air resistance can decrease the velocity and alter the optimal angle for throwing a ball from a roof. This is because the force of air resistance acts opposite to the direction of motion, slowing down the ball and causing it to deviate from its ideal trajectory.

4. Can the velocity and angle of a ball thrown from a roof be affected by factors other than air resistance?

Yes, other factors such as wind, humidity, and the initial force of the throw can also affect the velocity and angle of a ball thrown from a roof. These factors can either increase or decrease the velocity and alter the angle, resulting in a different trajectory and ultimately affecting the distance the ball travels.

5. How can the calculations for throwing a ball from a roof be applied in real-life scenarios?

The calculations for throwing a ball from a roof can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as sports like baseball or basketball where players need to throw or shoot a ball at a certain angle and velocity to score a goal. These calculations can also be used in engineering and physics experiments to understand the relationship between velocity, angle, and distance in projectile motion.