What Range of Acceleration Will Cause a Block to Slip Down an Accelerating Ramp?

In summary: I get it. When the block is moving at a very low acceleration, it is just barely touching the ramp. I will try to find a different equation that will give me the value of a for which the block is in equilibrium at a higher acceleration.In summary, at a certain acceleration, the block will be in equilibrium if it falls just barely touching the ramp.
gaobo9109

Homework Statement

A block of mass m is initially at rest at the top of a ramp, inclined at angle θ to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the block and the ramp is µ. The ramp is now pushed at acceleration a to the right. For what range of value of a will the block start slipping down the ramp?

Homework Equations

f ≤ µN

The Attempt at a Solution

I think to tackle this question i need to find out the value of a for which the block will remain stationary. Help me check if my working is correct.

If the block doesn't slip, then its acceleration would also be a. The component of acceleration parallel to the plane would be acosθ, the component normal to the plane would be asinθ.

From here I formed the equation:
f - mgsinθ = macosθ
f ≤ mgcosθ + masinθ

I am not sure if this is the correct reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct in principle, but you have to include the normal force in the equation for the normal components.

ehild

From the answer, the range of value of a is from g(µcosθ-sinθ)/(cosθ + µsinθ) to gcotθ. So there must be two conditions for equilibrium. But from my two equations, i can only obtain one value of a. How do I find the other value of a for which the block is in equilibrium?

If the block is in equilibrium, it can move neither up or down along the ramp. The direction of friction is opposite in these cases.

ehild

But i have a problem. It is the frictional force that move the block forward when the ramp is in motion. So how can frictional force be down the ramp, which is in the opposite direction of motion?

gaobo9109 said:
But i have a problem. It is the frictional force that move the block forward when the ramp is in motion. So how can frictional force be down the ramp, which is in the opposite direction of motion?

It is both the normal force and friction that affect the horizontal motion of the block.

Don't you have a picture? The problem says that the ramp accelerates to the right, but I do not know if the ramp has its highest point on the right or on the left.

ehild

The highest point of the ramp is on the right. But i still don't get it. I thought normal force would not affect the acceleration parallel to the plane of incline. If normal force actually comes into play, what would the new equations for equilibrium be?

The normal force does affect the acceleration normal to the incline. You need to set up two equations: one between the component of acceleration and forces parallel to the incline, and the other between the components normal to it. Then use the condition that the friction can not be greater than the normal force multiplied by the coefficient of static friction.

ehild

gaobo9109 said:
From the answer, the range of value of a is from g(µcosθ-sinθ)/(cosθ + µsinθ) to gcotθ. So there must be two conditions for equilibrium. But from my two equations, i can only obtain one value of a. How do I find the other value of a for which the block is in equilibrium?

The other value of a (g cotθ) corresponds to that limit when the block falls vertically, just touching the ramp, but without interaction, so the normal force is zero. At even higher acceleration, the block would be above the ramp in the air during its free fall.

ehild

1. What is a "block on an accelerating ramp"?

A "block on an accelerating ramp" is a physics concept that involves a block or object placed on an inclined ramp that is undergoing acceleration. This means that the ramp is either moving or changing its speed, causing the block to also experience a change in velocity.

2. How does the acceleration of the ramp affect the block?

The acceleration of the ramp directly affects the block by causing it to also accelerate in the same direction. This means that if the ramp is accelerating upwards, the block will also accelerate upwards, and if the ramp is accelerating downwards, the block will also accelerate downwards.

3. What factors influence the acceleration of the ramp?

The acceleration of the ramp is influenced by several factors, including the mass of the block, the angle of the ramp, and the force applied to the ramp. These factors all contribute to the overall acceleration of the ramp and ultimately affect the block's acceleration as well.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the ramp and the acceleration of the block?

The angle of the ramp has a direct relationship with the acceleration of the block. As the angle of the ramp increases, the acceleration of the block also increases. This is because a steeper ramp will result in a greater force acting on the block, causing it to accelerate at a faster rate.

5. Can the block ever reach a state of equilibrium on an accelerating ramp?

No, the block will never reach a state of equilibrium on an accelerating ramp. This is because there will always be a net force acting on the block, causing it to continue accelerating. Even if the ramp's acceleration were to stop, the block would still be moving due to inertia and would eventually come to a stop at the bottom of the ramp.