Can the Eurozone Survive the Economic Challenges of Greece and Italy?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, today the Dow dropped almost 1000 points due to jitters caused by the riots in Greece. However, it may not have been the primary cause as a human error in a trade, possibly at Citigroup, is also being investigated. It is important to note that Greece's economy only represents a little over 2% of the Euro economy and the US exports goods and services to all countries, making up a little more than 10% of the US economy.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wow, the Dow dropped almost 1000 points today as traders watched the riots in Greece. Luckily it seems to be recovering now - back up about 500 points at 10,330.

It scared the hell out of me. For a time it was looking like 2008 all over again. Nonetheless, contagion is a problem.

Physics news on Phys.org

Interesting technical question though - what happens if Greece goes bust?

Greek euros aren't any different from any other, so you can't have an exchange rate.
Although there has apparently been lots of people in Germany insisting the bank change their foreign euro notes for German ones!

If you were to kick Greece out of the euro and force it to print it's own notes you would need to do it instantly and in secret - otherwise people would simply hoard euro cash (assuming the replacement new-drachma would drop like a stone)

But it took years of planning and months of implementation to swap to the Euro - there's no way a country could leave it without people finding out in advance

One trader is saying that it was a technical artifact relating to something that happened with Procter & Gamble stock.

Being up about 70% over the last year [the Obama market], some analysts are saying that the market is due for a 20% or so correction. Many are expecting this. So, beyond everything else, there is a predisposition for volatility.

Last edited:

I was waiting for this to happen for a while now. I'm hoping the DOW stabilizes around 9200, but really this is a good thing for the US Dollar.

Which is bad for the American manufacturing base (at least the ones that want to export)

I think Greece will either
1. default because their parliament will not implement the agreed cuts and then see Argentina 2001 for the rest (including bank failures in other countries).
2. leave the Euro, switch to a devalued national currency, a huge undertaking which will cause banking failures in Greece as all the local Euro deposits flee to banks outside Greece.

Last edited:

Office_Shredder said:
Which is bad for the American manufacturing base (at least the ones that want to export)

That is not exactly the case though. Considering USA doesn't export much of anything, what we do export (capital goods, industrial supplies, consumer goods and agricultural products) is still something that you can't get anywhere else in the world. Anything from Apple to pharmaceuticals we are essentially in an anti-trust with the rest of the world as far as exports go.

Just because it is more expensive for the rest of the world to buy our stuff does not mean they will stop buying it. The prices may have to be pushed down but that will be picked up by the local demand, and in turn stimulate the growth of these companies. If anything the increased aggregate demand should push us through this recession and set us up to be the dominant player in the global market. I just wish I planned for a vacation sooner :biggrin:

I thought it was interesting to note [wiki] that Greece has a gdp of about 356 billion; about the same as the State of Michigan. The European Union has a combined GDP of 16.5 trillion. So the Greek economy only represents a little over 2% of the Euro economy.

Sun is up in Tokyo, market opens in about an hour.. grab some popcorn and wait to see what happens. My gasoline is finally going below 3 bucks a gallon this weekend, woohoo :cool:

Here is a http://www.google.com/finance?q=INDEXNIKKEI:.N225" to Nikkei 225 index. Any bets on how low it will go? I want to say.. 10500.

Last edited by a moderator:

10,470.99 !

Oh man :eek:

cronxeh said:
That is not exactly the case though. Considering USA doesn't export much of anything, what we do export (capital goods, industrial supplies, consumer goods and agricultural products) is still something that you can't get anywhere else in the world. Anything from Apple to pharmaceuticals we are essentially in an anti-trust with the rest of the world as far as exports go.

Just because it is more expensive for the rest of the world to buy our stuff does not mean they will stop buying it. The prices may have to be pushed down but that will be picked up by the local demand, and in turn stimulate the growth of these companies. If anything the increased aggregate demand should push us through this recession and set us up to be the dominant player in the global market. I just wish I planned for a vacation sooner :biggrin:

...:confused:? You mean the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_exports" [Broken] "doesn't export much of anything"?

Ivan Seeking said:
Wow, the Dow dropped almost 1000 points today as traders watched the riots in Greece. Luckily it seems to be recovering now - back up about 500 points at 10,330.

It scared the hell out of me. For a time it was looking like 2008 all over again. Nonetheless, contagion is a problem.

The situation in Greece is clearly causing jitters in worldwide markets, but it may not have been the primary cause of today's precipitous drop.

CNBC reported that the wild ride, which played out largely from 2:30 to 3 p.m. ET, might have been caused by human error when a trader hit B for "billion" in a trade instead of M for "million." CNBC said trading sources told it that the error may have happened at Citigroup, the nation's No. 3 bank company.

Citi said it had no evidence of a bad trade but was looking into the situation, a spokesman said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36999807/ns/business-eye_on_the_economy/

Wow, if that turns out to be true, it's amazing that one slip of the finger can have that effect!

cronxeh said:
Considering USA doesn't export much of anything,
Eh? US goods and services exports to all countries for 2008 were http://www.trade.gov/press/press_releases/2009/export-factsheet_021109.pdf" [Broken], a little more than 10% of the US economy.

Edit: I see that also caught lisab's attention. Also I'd have to check, but I believe some of those lists short change services of which the US is particularly strong. If one uses the US Dept of Commerce figures the US is the worlds largest exporter by several hundred billion dollars.

So the Greece bailout so far seems to be $145 billion (so far), or about $13k per Greek. I fail to see why the United States has to be paying a large portion of that, especially under current conditions.

:mad:

mheslep said:
I fail to see why the United States has to be paying a large portion of that, especially under current conditions.
1, It isn't. The US is about 15% of the IMF and the IMF is about 20% of the bailout.
2, It's a loan - and at "no one else would lend to you" rates Germany is going to make a killing

mgb_phys said:
1, It isn't. The US is about 15% of the IMF and the IMF is about 20% of the bailout.
Sorry $4 billion still qualifies as a lot to bailout early retirement in the Aegean.

2, It's a loan -
No improvement, as the US can only loan money via the IMF that it has already borrowed and pays interest upon these days.

mgb_phys said:
2, It's a loan - and at "no one else would lend to you" rates Germany is going to make a killing

The whole point of the bailout is that it's not at 'no one else would lend to you' rates, otherwise it wouldn't actually fix any problems

Germany is still borrowing at German bond rates and lending at Greek bond rates - quite a spread.
Of course it's not going to fix the problem - the problem is for 40years they voted in governments that promised to spend but not collect taxes.

mgb_phys said:
Germany is still borrowing at German bond rates and lending at Greek bond rates - quite a spread.

And taking on its risk, of course.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/05/20/2905304.htm [Broken]

That's funny and sad at the same time, the whole situation is ridiculous. I hope the Greek will take responsibility for their actions soon, the population needs to step up and actually do something to improve their economy.

In little over a week there will be elections to vote for a new Dutch government. Naturally the financial crisis is the major subject of the elections and some major cuts need to be made to stop the deficits from rising. The polls indicate that we've never had people voting so much for the right parties before, this indicates that people realize something needs to be done and we can't lay back and expect problems to be solved.

Well it's not just the greek as I understand it most of the states in the us have a bit of debt. Of course the question is debt to who? Mother nature imo.

Did you say the dow went down 1000 on one day? I was fairly sure they passed regulation that states it can't go down more then 500 in a given day.

CRGreathouse said:
And taking on its risk, of course.

Yes that's the real point. Germany is really just taking over the loan payments Greece has to make. So this is really a bailout of German banks by German taxpayers - it's just a bit more palatable to the voters if you pretend it's either a generous gesture to the poorman of europe or a sound financial sense to protect the euro.

Well the Greek referendum effectively dumps the EU backed debt deal.

Next up, Italy. Italy's debt is ~$2.2 trillion which it will now have to roll over at 6+%.

10 year Italian bond
[PLAIN]http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/chart?h=200&w=280&range=1y&type=gp_line&cfg=BQuoteComp_10.xml&ticks=GBTPGR10%3AIND&img=png [Broken]
European banks hold ten times more Italian debt than they do Greek.

Going, going, ...

The fundamental disinterest in democracy of the EU "project" has finally met a nemesis, and it's just ironic that it happens to be Greece.

Remember the situation over the last EU treaty changes, where some member states had a constitutional requirement to hold a referendum? The EU attitude was "OK, that's fine, but if you get the wrong result you will have to keep holding referendums till you agree with what WE want."

You can only play that game for so long before something turns nasty.

Question: Do you thing the recent introduction of the euro will lead to formation of other common-currency areas?
Milton Friedman said:
That’s an extremely interesting question. I think that the euro is one of the few really new things we’ve had in the world in recent years. Never in history, to my knowledge, has there been a similar case in which you have a single central bank controlling politically independent countries.

The gold standard was one in which individual countries adhered to a particular commodity—gold—and they were always free to break or to leave it, or to change the rate. Under the euro, that possibility is not there. For a country to break, it really has to break. It has to introduce a brand new currency of its own.

I think the euro is in its honeymoon phase. I hope it succeeds, but I have very low expectations for it. I think that differences are going to accumulate among the various countries and that non-synchronous shocks are going to affect them. Right now, Ireland is a very different state; it needs a very different monetary policy from that of Spain or Italy.

On purely theoretical grounds, it’s hard to believe that it’s going to be a stable system for a long time. On the other hand, new things happen and new developments arise.

The one additional factor that has come out that leads me to raise a question about this is the evidence that a single currency—currency unification— tends to very sharply increase the trade among the various political units. If international trade goes up enough, it may reduce some of the harm that comes from the inability of individual countries to adjust to asynchronous shocks. But that’s just a potential scenario.

You know, the various countries in the euro are not a natural currency trading group. They are not a currency area. There is very little mobility of people among the countries. They have extensive controls and regulations and rules, and so they need some kind of an adjustment mechanism to adjust to asynchronous shocks—and the floating exchange rate gave them one. They have no mechanism now.

If we look back at recent history, they’ve tried in the past to have rigid exchange rates, and each time it has broken down. 1992, 1993, you had the crises. Before that, Europe had the snake, and then it broke down into something else. So the verdict isn’t in on the euro. It’s only a year old. Give it time to develop its troubles.
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/keynote.pdf
That's so prescient I suspect the guy had his own time machine.

I initially thought the Austerity measures were hard on Greece but it seems to have gotten spending under control there. Greece has been offered a deal which will forgive 20% of their debt (although it is pitched as 50% by 2020) to get their debt to a sustainable level. I think it would be wise to take it but if they don’t then I presume Greece will be forced to leave the Euro and spending will be corrected by having inflation eat at wages. Their needs to be a plan B for the case that Greece leaves the Euro and how much debt will be allowed to be converted to the New Greek currency which will emerge. To help make the terms of the deal easier the EU should do a round of quantitative easing to inflate away some of the debt in Europe.

mheslep said:
European banks hold ten times more Italian debt than they do Greek.

So you're saying the Greek issue is merely a weatherbell?

DoggerDan said:

Nobody knows at the moment. The Italian interest on government bonds skyrocketed after Greece's downfall such that it is barely manageable for them. At the same time, the Italian debt is smaller than Greece's, and the economy is much stronger. The only deal which came out of Cannes is that Italy now will be monitored by the IMF. Probably they just want lower interest rates, I don't think anyone will buy into it. They need to get their debt down, like everyone else.

Italy doesn't seem to need IMF support at the moment, but it may fall at some point.

mheslep said:
Well the Greek referendum effectively dumps the EU backed debt deal.

The Greek PM only used the democratic card of last resort to get support for the bailout from opposition politicians, he did not really want to give the Greek people a referendum vote. So, instead of a quick and bloody correction there will just be a very long and drawn out opportunity for making money out of volatility, especially if the opposition gets a new election.

But if Greece still continues its downward trend then separation from the Euro will be necessarilly imposed on Greece by external forces for wider political/economic survival reasons.

The only problem with this approach, when compared with the one taken in Iceland, is that the amounts of money involved will get larger while delaying the inevitable will only weaken any governments/citizens ability to manage this eventuality in the future.

DoggerDan said:
Yes.

LaurieAG said:
The Greek PM only used the democratic card of last resort to get support for the bailout from opposition politicians, he did not really want to give the Greek people a referendum vote. ...
Plausible but how do you know this?

mheslep said:
Plausible but how do you know this?

If you read the articles on NYT or any other major newspaper you would probably get the general idea. Paul Krugman has been analysing the differences between Iceland and Greece.

Its much of a muchness now as the Greek PM looks like resigning anyway.

Well, I did back up my hunch in the OP.

You guys saw the market panic today? damn, a shame though a bit interesting. People are actually afraid that Italy & Greece will go for the worse due to some political instability which most likely will be over soon (the politicians know the seriousness of the situation).

The main problem though, is that people stop buying Italian government bonds. Since most of these bonds take 5-10 years to mature, Italy is bound to get in bigger trouble than Berlusconi the mafiaso finally being booted + some economic insecurity (which has lasted for years, anyway), thus the fear is irrational. Or my guessing is rubbish.

<h2>1. Can the Eurozone afford to bail out Greece and Italy?</h2><p>It is difficult to determine the exact cost of bailing out Greece and Italy, as it would depend on the specific measures taken and the success of those measures. However, the Eurozone has a strong financial system and has previously provided financial assistance to other member countries in crisis. It is also important to note that the economic stability of the Eurozone as a whole is closely tied to the stability of its member countries, so it is in the best interest of all members to find a solution.</p><h2>2. What are the potential consequences if Greece and Italy were to leave the Eurozone?</h2><p>If Greece and Italy were to leave the Eurozone, it could have significant economic and political consequences. It may lead to a loss of confidence in the Euro, which could result in a decline in its value and affect trade and investment within the region. It could also lead to financial instability and uncertainty for other member countries. Additionally, the political implications of a country leaving the Eurozone could have far-reaching consequences for the European Union as a whole.</p><h2>3. How have previous economic crises in the Eurozone been handled?</h2><p>The Eurozone has faced several economic crises in the past, such as the Greek debt crisis in 2010 and the Eurozone debt crisis in 2012. In both cases, the European Central Bank and other member countries provided financial assistance and implemented measures such as austerity measures and structural reforms to address the issues. These crises were eventually resolved, but not without significant economic and social impacts.</p><h2>4. What steps are being taken to address the economic challenges in Greece and Italy?</h2><p>The Eurozone has implemented various measures to address the economic challenges in Greece and Italy. These include financial assistance, such as loans and debt relief, as well as structural reforms aimed at improving the countries' economic stability and competitiveness. Additionally, the Eurozone has implemented stricter fiscal rules and surveillance mechanisms to prevent similar crises from occurring in the future.</p><h2>5. How is the Eurozone working to prevent future economic challenges in member countries?</h2><p>The Eurozone has implemented several measures to prevent future economic challenges in member countries. These include stricter fiscal rules and surveillance mechanisms, as well as promoting economic and financial stability through initiatives such as the European Stability Mechanism. The Eurozone also encourages member countries to implement structural reforms to improve their economic competitiveness and reduce the risk of future crises.</p>

1. Can the Eurozone afford to bail out Greece and Italy?

It is difficult to determine the exact cost of bailing out Greece and Italy, as it would depend on the specific measures taken and the success of those measures. However, the Eurozone has a strong financial system and has previously provided financial assistance to other member countries in crisis. It is also important to note that the economic stability of the Eurozone as a whole is closely tied to the stability of its member countries, so it is in the best interest of all members to find a solution.

2. What are the potential consequences if Greece and Italy were to leave the Eurozone?

If Greece and Italy were to leave the Eurozone, it could have significant economic and political consequences. It may lead to a loss of confidence in the Euro, which could result in a decline in its value and affect trade and investment within the region. It could also lead to financial instability and uncertainty for other member countries. Additionally, the political implications of a country leaving the Eurozone could have far-reaching consequences for the European Union as a whole.

3. How have previous economic crises in the Eurozone been handled?

The Eurozone has faced several economic crises in the past, such as the Greek debt crisis in 2010 and the Eurozone debt crisis in 2012. In both cases, the European Central Bank and other member countries provided financial assistance and implemented measures such as austerity measures and structural reforms to address the issues. These crises were eventually resolved, but not without significant economic and social impacts.

4. What steps are being taken to address the economic challenges in Greece and Italy?

The Eurozone has implemented various measures to address the economic challenges in Greece and Italy. These include financial assistance, such as loans and debt relief, as well as structural reforms aimed at improving the countries' economic stability and competitiveness. Additionally, the Eurozone has implemented stricter fiscal rules and surveillance mechanisms to prevent similar crises from occurring in the future.

5. How is the Eurozone working to prevent future economic challenges in member countries?

The Eurozone has implemented several measures to prevent future economic challenges in member countries. These include stricter fiscal rules and surveillance mechanisms, as well as promoting economic and financial stability through initiatives such as the European Stability Mechanism. The Eurozone also encourages member countries to implement structural reforms to improve their economic competitiveness and reduce the risk of future crises.