Counter example to a Sequentially Compact question

In summary, the separable complete bounded metr. space X is not always seq. compact. The counterexample you are looking for is \mathbb{N} with the discrete metric, which is dense in itself and separable.
Bachelier
Can you provide one to show a separable complete boundd metr. space X is not always seq. compact.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What did you try already? What metric spaces do you know?

micromass said:
What did you try already? What metric spaces do you know?

I tried a subset of either [tex]\mathbb{N} \ or \ \mathbb{R}[/tex] with the discrete metric

Like consider [tex](A, d) \ such \ that \ A \subset \mathbb{R} \ something \ like \ [0,n] \with \ n =1, ..., 100. \ and \ d \ is \ the \ discrete \ metric.[/tex]

Yes, that is very good! Try [tex]\mathbb{N}[/tex] with the discrete metric. Isn't that the counterexample you're looking for?

micromass said:
Yes, that is very good! Try [tex]\mathbb{N}[/tex] with the discrete metric. Isn't that the counterexample you're looking for?

I wasn't sure about [tex]\mathbb{N}[/tex] being separable, but after thinking about it, it is dense in itself. Because every natural number is either in [tex]\mathbb{N}[/tex] or is a limit point.

But the definition that states that A is dense in B iff for all b1 and b2 in B, with b1<b2 there exists a in A st b1<a<b2. still confuses me.

if you take the numbers 1 and 2, then there exists no such number between them in [tex]\mathbb{N}[/tex] ?!

You have several (non-equivalent) definitions for dense. The one you mention is dense for ordered sets. However, what we need here is topological dense. Then the definitoin states:

A set D is dense in X if the closure of D is X (or equivalently, that every non-empty open set in X contains a point of D).

With that definition, it can be easily checked that N is indeed dense in itself, and thus separable!

micromass said:
You have several (non-equivalent) definitions for dense. The one you mention is dense for ordered sets. However, what we need here is topological dense. Then the definitoin states:

A set D is dense in X if the closure of D is X (or equivalently, that every non-empty open set in X contains a point of D).

With that definition, it can be easily checked that N is indeed dense in itself, and thus separable!

Thank you micromass. Hey I understand the following part 100%: that every non-empty open set in X contains a point of D. But I must admit that the concept of Closure of a set D still eludes me. I understand the definition that it is the intersection of closed sets containing D. I'd like to think of it in terms that if we add its boundary to D (which may be scattered around like in the case of [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] then you get the closure).

Can you please elaborate on closure a little bit more.
Thanks

Bachelier said:
Can you provide one to show a separable complete boundd metr. space X is not always seq. compact.

BTW the converse of the question is true. If X is seq. cmpact it is separ. bounded and complete. Right?

Yes, your intuition is certainly correct. The closure is simply the set with it's boundary added. But it still remains tricky, because we have no formal definition of the word "boundary". Of course, we could define the boundary of a set as the points you add when you close the set (and this is what they indeed do), but it doesn't bring us closer to understanding what the closure is.

There are several different approaches that I like to use when discussing closure:
1) You already said one: the closure is the intersection of all closed sets containing the set. This is a nice property, but it doesn't really help us much in concrete examples.

2) When working in general topological spaces, then I always use the following property: A point x is in cl(A) if each open set around x intersects A. This is a very, very handy property. I always use this when checking whether something is in the closure.

3) I always use property (2), EXCEPT when working in metric spaces. In the case of metric spaces, there is a property that is much more handier: a point x is in the closure of A if and only if there exists a sequence (x_n) in A that converges to x.
For example: 1 is in the closure of ]-1,1[, since 1-1/n is a sequence in ]0,1[ that converges to 1. As you see, the property is super-easy to check and is very handy! (However: it is only valid in metric spaces).

An advice that I would like to give you to get used to closures is to calculate much closures. After a while you just get used to it. At first, I must admit that it's a bit abstract, but it's quite easy once you're used to it!

Bachelier said:
BTW the converse of the question is true. If X is seq. cmpact it is separ. bounded and complete. Right?

In metric spaces, yes!

Thank you teacher. :smile:

1. What does it mean for a question to have a counter example?

In mathematics, a counter example is an example that disproves a statement or a conjecture. In other words, it is an example that contradicts the given statement and shows that it is not universally true.

2. What is a Sequentially Compact question?

A Sequentially Compact question is a question that involves a set of numbers or points that are arranged in a specific order, and asks whether this set has a finite subcover. In other words, it asks whether every sequence in the set has a convergent subsequence.

3. How can a question have a counter example to being sequentially compact?

A question can have a counter example to being sequentially compact if there exists a sequence in the set that does not have a convergent subsequence. This would disprove the statement that every sequence in the set has a convergent subsequence, thus showing that the set is not sequentially compact.

4. Can a counter example to a Sequentially Compact question be used to prove the opposite statement?

Yes, a counter example can be used to prove that the opposite statement is true. If a counter example disproves a statement, then the opposite statement must be true. In the case of a Sequentially Compact question, if a counter example shows that the set does not have a finite subcover, then the opposite statement that the set is not sequentially compact must be true.

5. Are there any advantages to using a counter example in mathematics?

Yes, there are several advantages to using a counter example in mathematics. It can help to disprove incorrect statements or conjectures, and also provide insights into the properties and limitations of a particular concept or theorem. It can also lead to the development of new theories and ideas in mathematics. Additionally, using counter examples can improve critical thinking skills and spur further exploration and investigation in a particular area of mathematics.