Contribution to physics- who should be included?

• Thread starter charmedbeauty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the physicist listed are the main contributors to the evolution of physics. They have all made great discoveries that have helped us understand our world better.
charmedbeauty
Hi all I have to do a quick 5 minute speech just about the evolution of physics...

My general idea is just to go back say from Archimedes~ to currently who has been the main contributors to physics?

Obviously it's only a 5 minute speech so not everyone can get a mention but I would like to name the physicist and give a brief description of what they have achieved.

So far...

Archimedes~buoyancy
Kepler~ planetary laws of motion
Newton~Motion,Gravitation,Cooling
Faraday~Faraday's Laws of Induction and Electrolysis
Planck~Law of radiation
Heisenberg~uncertainty
Maxwell~Electromagnetism
Einstein~Special and General relativity
Feynman&Dirac~quantum phys
Hawking~black hole radiation.

Is there anyone I have missed or even I can take of the list as I really don't have enough time to cover all these physicist's work.

The one's I am thinking of taking of please tell me if I shouldn't...
Archimedes, Planck, Faraday or Maxwell or is it possible to combine them?Hawking?

Please some feedback!

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would mention Aristotle and Galileo. They are often used to describe the evolution of physics (and science in general) and for a good reason.

Yes you should add Galileo, and you can leave out Hawking. I would not know one that we are sure to be famous two centuries from now.

harrylin said:
Yes you should add Galileo, and you can leave out Hawking. I would not know one that we are sure to be famous two centuries from now.

Good point!

Definitely Galileo, completely forgot about him. Thanks...

anyone else I could take out??

The history of physics.

Newton: Even though you can tell if you are speeding up, you can't tell how fast you are going.
Maxwell: Yes you can.
Einstein: No you can't. You can't even tell if you are speeding up.
Heisenberg: Either you don't know where you are or you don't know where you're going.

Physics in a nutshell: The more you know about physics, the less you know about the world you live in.

Jimmy Snyder said:
The history of physics.

Newton: Even though you can tell if you are speeding up, you can't tell how fast you are going.
Heisenberg: Either you don't know where you are or you don't know where you're going.

Physics in a nutshell: The more you know about physics, the less you know about the world you live in.

This is a gem!

:rofl::rofl:

Jimmy Snyder said:
The history of physics.

Hahaha this pretty much sums it up!

1. Who is considered to be the most influential physicist in history?

The answer to this question is subjective and can vary depending on personal opinions. However, some of the most commonly mentioned names include Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, and Galileo Galilei.

2. Are there any female physicists who have made significant contributions to physics?

Yes, there have been many female physicists who have made groundbreaking contributions to the field. Some notable examples include Marie Curie, Emmy Noether, and Lisa Meitner.

3. Should only scientists who have won Nobel Prizes be considered for their contributions to physics?

No, the Nobel Prize is just one form of recognition for contributions to physics. There are many other prestigious awards and honors that recognize the achievements of scientists in the field of physics.

4. Is it important to include scientists from diverse backgrounds in the list of contributors to physics?

Yes, it is crucial to recognize the contributions of scientists from diverse backgrounds as it helps to promote inclusivity and diversity in the field of physics. It also showcases the various perspectives and approaches to scientific research.

5. Can scientists from different fields, such as engineering or mathematics, be considered for their contributions to physics?

Yes, scientists from different fields can certainly contribute to the advancement of physics. Many breakthroughs in physics have been made by individuals from diverse backgrounds and disciplines.