Can gravity cause an expansion of a sphere?

In summary, the teacher presented a problem involving calculating how the gravity of a sphere made of ideal linear material with Young modulus E and Poisson ratio \nu would affect its size. The amount of material was such that without gravity, the radius would be R_0. The teacher claimed that when gravity is "turned on," the sphere would actually expand due to compression and stretching effects, as stated in Landau Lifgarbagez's Theory of Elasticity. However, upon further examination, it was found that there may have been a mistake in the calculations.
Jano L.
Gold Member
Hi everybody,

some time ago our teacher has shown us the following example from the theory of elasticity:

Calculate how the gravity of the sphere changes its size. The sphere is made of ideal linear material (in practice, perhaps some metal) with Young modulus [itex]E[/itex] and Poisson ration [itex]\nu[/itex]. The amount of the material is such that if the gravity did not act, the radius of the sphere would be [itex]R_0[/itex]. Now imagine the gravity is "turned on". Do you think the sphere will shrink or expand?

Teacher said (and the same can be found in Landau Lifgarbagez, Theory of elasticity, p. 21) that the sphere as a whole will actually expand due to gravity.

Do you think such a strange conclusion can be correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jano L. said:
Hi everybody,

some time ago our teacher has shown us the following example from the theory of elasticity:

Calculate how the gravity of the sphere changes its size. The sphere is made of ideal linear material (in practice, perhaps some metal) with Young modulus [itex]E[/itex] and Poisson ration [itex]\nu[/itex]. The amount of the material is such that if the gravity did not act, the radius of the sphere would be [itex]R_0[/itex]. Now imagine the gravity is "turned on". Do you think the sphere will shrink or expand?

Teacher said (and the same can be found in Landau Lifgarbagez, Theory of elasticity, p. 21) that the sphere as a whole will actually expand due to gravity.
Here is that page:

http://books.google.de/books?id=tpY-VkwCkAIC&lpg=PP1&hl=de&pg=PA21#v=onepage&q&f=false

Do you mean problem 12? It is about a spherical cavity in an infinite medium. What sphere do you have in mind? A solid uniform sphere or an empty shell?

It is the problem 3, p. 21. The problem 12 with the cavity is at the page 24.

Last edited:
Aha, I have a second edition. My apologies. I see it is better not to use the page number but rather the paragraph/problem number. Anyway, I can't wait to read what you think of this...

Jano L. said:
Anyway, I can't wait to read what you think of this...
Well, as I said: I don't see yet that the radius increases under gravity. I guess one would have to integrate the radial strain they give.

Now I see it, their formula for u implies the sphere as a whole always undergoes compression, so if their solution is correct, there there is no paradox with expansion.

I recall we calculated this in detail and I think we got the result that the sphere expanded. I knew Landau has the same problem and I thought he claims the same thing, but now I see he does not. Most probably we made some mistake.

Thank you for your help,

Jano

1. Can gravity cause an expansion of a sphere?

Yes, gravity can cause an expansion of a sphere. This is known as gravitational expansion and it occurs when the force of gravity pulls matter towards the center of the sphere, causing it to expand.

2. How does gravity cause a sphere to expand?

Gravity causes a sphere to expand by exerting a force on the matter within the sphere. This force pulls the matter towards the center of the sphere, causing it to expand outward.

3. Is gravitational expansion the same as the expansion of the universe?

No, gravitational expansion refers to the expansion of a sphere due to the force of gravity. The expansion of the universe, on the other hand, refers to the overall increase in the size of the universe over time.

4. Can gravity cause a sphere to expand indefinitely?

No, gravity cannot cause a sphere to expand indefinitely. Eventually, the force of gravity will become balanced by the internal pressure of the matter within the sphere, resulting in a stable size.

5. Are there any other factors that can contribute to the expansion of a sphere besides gravity?

Yes, there are other factors that can contribute to the expansion of a sphere. These include internal pressure, temperature, and the properties of the material the sphere is made of.