DU/dt = 0 for oscillating spring, help with derivation

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation for energy, where the velocity is equal to the derivative of position with respect to time. The equation can be rewritten using a substitution and shows how the terms for kinetic energy and spring energy can be cancelled out. However, the conversation also mentions that this is not always the case and the other term must be taken into consideration.
docholliday
U = energy
In the book:
[itex] \frac{dU}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt} (\frac{1}{2} mv^2 + \frac{1}{2} kx^2) [/itex]

then we have [itex] m \frac{d^{2}x}{dt^2} + kx = 0 [/itex] because [itex] v = \frac{dx}{dt} [/itex]

however they get rid of [itex] \frac{dx}{dt} [/itex] .

They are ignoring the case where v = 0, because then [itex] m \frac{d^{2}x}{dt^2} + kx [/itex] doesn't have to be zero, and it can still satisfy the equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have y = (dx/dt)^2 and you put u = dx/dt

then y=u^2 such that dy/du = 2u and du/dt = d^2x/dt^2

So dy/dt = 2u*du/dt = 2(dx/dt)(d^2x/dt^2)

In your original equation, differentiating the KE term and the spring term will give you a dx/dt which can be canceled out since dU/dt= 0.

You should edit the post and replace [; ... ;] with [i tex] ... [/i tex]
(get rid of the space in [i tex]. I put that in so the parser wouldn't detect it.)

yes, i get it but if dx/dt = 0, which it can, then the equation is satisfied and the other term doesn't have to be zero. However, we are saying the other term must always be zero.

dx/dt = 0 is true for a two point in time per period only, or for a non-moving spring in equilibrium. That is not relevant for the general case.

What is DU/dt?

DU/dt is the derivative of the potential energy of a system with respect to time. It represents the rate of change of potential energy over time.

What is an oscillating spring?

An oscillating spring is a system in which a mass is attached to a spring and can move back and forth due to the spring's elasticity. This creates a repetitive oscillation or vibration.

Why is DU/dt equal to 0 for an oscillating spring?

DU/dt is equal to 0 for an oscillating spring because the potential energy of the spring remains constant throughout its oscillation. This is because the spring's potential energy is dependent on its displacement from its equilibrium position, which remains constant for an oscillating spring.

How is the derivative of potential energy calculated for an oscillating spring?

The derivative of potential energy for an oscillating spring can be calculated using the equation DU/dt = -kx, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from equilibrium. This equation represents the change in potential energy over time due to the spring's elasticity.

What is the purpose of deriving DU/dt for an oscillating spring?

The purpose of deriving DU/dt for an oscillating spring is to understand the relationship between potential energy and time for this specific system. This can help us predict and analyze the behavior of the spring and the mass attached to it.