Can I Use Microwaves to Study Asteroids?

• Thread starter Vipertiper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microwaves
In summary, the scientist shot something which I forgot, and they could get data from it? Is that possible for a price of 2,000$ I would love to see if I could find out compositions of asteroids.
Vipertiper
How would I shoot microwaves at a piece of asteroid? Scientist shot something which I forgot, And they could get data from it? Is that possible for a price of 2,000$ I would love to see if I could find out compositions of asteroids.
And what could I use? I know that NASA probably uses morse code right? So how could I make my reciever read morse code? or should I say where can I learn morse code?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
hi there
welcome to PF

ummm do you have any electronics experience at all ... as in have you actually built any significant circuits ?

$2000 no probably not maybe 3 or 4 times that.
1) you would need a high power transmitter maybe ~ 100W there's several $1000 for a start
2) A large parabolic dish 40 ft or so diameter with all the precision driven motors for it to be able to track a tiny fast moving lump of rock, maybe another $20,000
3) high gain very low noise receiver module, nitrogen cooled to achieve that low noise figure maybe another ~ $2000
4) a block of land big enough to mount the dish a few more 1000 if out in a rural area,
5) another few 1000 for the concrete mounting
6) hardware engineering design specifications so that the structure meets/conforms to local government building plan permits maybe another few 1000 $$
7) finally acquiring transmitter licencing for high power microwave band transmission from you local organisation in the USA the FCCjust to give you a moment of realism at 10GHz microwave frequency us amateur radio operators can just very weakly hear our signals bounced off the moon with a 20W transmitter into a 12 ft diameter dish
An asteroid is a tiny lump of rock in comparison, a reflected signal from even a high power transmitter would be extremely weak.

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
a little more realism :smile:

a couple of years ago a bunch of ham radio operators used the 1000ft diameter Arecibo dish in Puerto Rico in the Caribbean to bounce radio signals off the planet Venus

don't think you are going to build a 1000ft dish at home any time soon :wink:

Dave

Morse code? That's so TwenCen. Nobody uses Morse Code anymore.

SteamKing said:
Morse code? That's so TwenCen. Nobody uses Morse Code anymore.

hahaha you would be surprised how many still use it ... still quite a fad amongst some radio operators. I have a few radio op friends that refuse to use voice or digital ... their view ... communicate with me on CW or not at all :rolleyes:

Dave

Well, Morse Code is one of those things whose better days are behind it.

Morse has been superseded for maritime distress calls by the adoption of the GMDSS system, and the ITU and other communications agencies no longer require that Morse proficiency be demonstrated before granting an operator's license. The FCC has dropped all Morse requirements from its licensing tests. Even Western Union doesn't do telegrams anymore.

While I grant there may still be a lot of people who understand and can send Morse, I fear their numbers will naturally dwindle. Writing on clay tablets was once all the rage; now, not so much.

yeah that's true

I did try learning CW many years back for my advanced radio op's license couldn't get past 6 wpm needed 12 wpm I finally gave up and kept to my technicians license ... I really didnt have any interest in HF anyway all my main work and experimenting has been mainly 400MHz and up to 24GHz

and as you say, they finally abolished the CW requirement in many countries including where I am.
I gave HF a hammering for ~ 12 months then lost interest and and went back to my "first love" ... the microwave bands much much more challenging!

cheers
Dave

this one is just for you steamking :smile:

attachment.php?attachmentid=61097&stc=1&d=1377304133.jpg

cheers my friend

Dave

Attachments

• new mobile phone  haha.jpg
    new mobile phone haha.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 475

1. How do microwaves work?

The microwaves used in most household appliances are a form of electromagnetic radiation with a specific wavelength. When the microwave is turned on, it produces a high frequency alternating current which creates an electromagnetic field. This field causes the water molecules in food to vibrate, which produces heat and cooks the food.

2. What are the safety concerns when handling microwaves?

Microwaves are generally safe to use, but there are a few precautions to keep in mind. Make sure to use microwave-safe containers and avoid using metal objects, as they can cause sparks and damage to the appliance. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and avoid overloading the microwave with food.

3. How do I adjust the power and time settings when using a microwave?

Most microwaves come with preset power and time settings, but they can also be adjusted manually. To adjust the power, use the power level button and select a percentage (usually between 30-100%). To adjust the time, use the time buttons and enter the desired cooking time in minutes and seconds.

4. Can microwaves be used to cook all types of food?

Microwaves are great for heating up leftovers and cooking certain types of food, but they may not be suitable for all dishes. Foods with a crispy texture, such as fried chicken or pizza, may not turn out as well in a microwave. It is also important to follow specific instructions for cooking different types of food in the microwave.

5. Are there any health risks associated with using a microwave?

There is no evidence to suggest that using a microwave is harmful to your health. As long as the microwave is in good working condition and used correctly, it is a safe and efficient way to cook food. However, it is important to follow proper food safety guidelines and avoid using damaged or malfunctioning microwaves.