Peaks at reflectance spectrum

by hjelmgart
Tags: peaks, reflectance, spectrum
Share this thread:
hjelmgart
Dec13-13, 06:24 PM
P: 124
Hello,

I am currently analysing some relfectance data I obtained from measurements on several silicon samples. During the process I used the standard fresnel coefficients, and suddenly I began to wonder, what the peaks describe? The last graph at this link shows it for normal incident light, I think.

My typical approach is to relate peaks to the band gap, but then I remembered silicon has a band gap of 1,1 eV.

So what explains the peaks? I am still thinking, that it is related to the band gap. But the band gap isn't constant either? The 1,1 eV is just the lowest gap, right?

So do the peaks represent different band gaps with respect to the brillouin zone, or how is it?

Any suggestions or explanations appreciated! Or possibly a source, that explains it, as I so far had no luck at finding such.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Organic photovoltaic cells of the future: Charge formation efficiency used to screen materials
Promising ferroelectric materials suffer from unexpected electric polarizations
Structure of certain types of beetle shells could inspire brighter, whiter coatings and materials
Claude Bile
Dec31-13, 09:31 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,477
One reflectivity peak is due to a peak in the real refractive index, the other is due to a peak in the imaginary refractive index: and that the formula for calculating reflectivity applies for real- and complex-valued refractive indices.

Note too, that the real and imaginary refractive index components are linked via the Kramers-Kronig relations.

Claude.

Register to reply