Water treatment experiment design

In summary, the speaker is working on a project for water treatment and is seeking advice on how to design the setup of the experiment. They plan to use a 50l feed water tank connected to a pipe, with different water velocities, pipe diameters, and flow rates being tested. Part of the water will be directed to a tank, while the rest will go to two reverse osmosis systems. The product water will be collected in a tank. The speaker is looking for an economic and effective setup and is seeking advice on the distribution of pumps and valves. They plan to use magnets as a pretreatment step to reduce RO membrane fouling, and will be testing various parameters such as magnetic flux density, contact time, and pipe diameter
rawan
hello
this is the first time I'm using this forum so I hope that my post is in the right sub-forum
I'm working now on a project for water treatment , I don't know exactly how to design the setup of the experiment.
what is needed
1- 50l feed water tank connected with a pipe , I have to use different water velocity,pipe diameter and flow rate on this pipe.
2- at the end of the pipe part of the water will be directed toward tank , and the rest will be directed to 2 RO (reverse osmosis ) .
3- the product water from RO will collected in a tank.
I need economic and effective setup ,with proper distribution for pumps , valves and if any other equipment is required.
the attached image is a sketch for the set up.
regards

Attachments

• expmag.jpg
    expmag.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 484
Engineering news on Phys.org
Firstly, welcome to PF.
I notice you have no specific question, or a size scale. So I will start by asking you some questions.

1. Why are you doing this experiment?
2. What parameters will you be investigating experimentally?
3. What sort of total volume will you process per trial?
4. What flow rates do you expect?
5. Are those magnets shown in your diagram?
6. What is your budget for this experiment?

Successful experimentation involves asking yourself questions, and answering them.
The best answers are the ones that destroy the question.

rawan said:
hello
this is the first time I'm using this forum so I hope that my post is in the right sub-forum
I'm working now on a project for water treatment , I don't know exactly how to design the setup of the experiment.
what is needed
1- 50l feed water tank connected with a pipe , I have to use different water velocity,pipe diameter and flow rate on this pipe.
2- at the end of the pipe part of the water will be directed toward tank , and the rest will be directed to 2 RO (reverse osmosis ) .
3- the product water from RO will collected in a tank.
I need economic and effective setup ,with proper distribution for pumps , valves and if any other equipment is required.
the attached image is a sketch for the set up.
regards

Welcome to the PF.

Yeah, magnets are not going to do very much in the way of water treatment, unless all you are trying to do is remove iron filings or something...?

I would also start with the end in mind. What specification do you want your water to meet?

Drinkable?
De-ionised?
USP 29?

first of all thanks all for your kindly reply , and I'm sorry that the post idea is not clear but this the first time I work in water field , here is what I'm going to do

1- I have to work on a project for RO membrane fouling reduction , I will apply anti-scale magnetic treatment as pretreatment step for feed water , so the feed water will pass in a magnetic field then it will directs to RO.
2- most of the parameters that will be tested relating to magnetic water step and it is as follow
a- magnetic flux density by increasing the number of magnets (the magnets will be arranged on the out surface of the pipe).
b- magnets configuration by changing the geometry of the magnets according to the north and south pole.
c- contact time this is a critical parameter ,which is The amount of time water is in contact with the magnetic field as it runs through a pipe for this 15 minutes , 10 minutes, 5 minutes will be tested.
d- pipe diameter ( 1 inch, 0.5 inch,0.25 inch).
e- for RO system I need high flow rate , I will change pH and temperature.
f- for the total volume per trial I don't know exactly I need advice.
g- the budget is not so much it will be 1500-2000 $.
h- the feed water will be saline water with high EC , I will test for different ECs , the final product water is drinkable.
I hope now you catch the idea , thanks again
regards

rawan said:
first of all thanks all for your kindly reply , and I'm sorry that the post idea is not clear but this the first time I work in water field , here is what I'm going to do

1- I have to work on a project for RO membrane fouling reduction , I will apply anti-scale magnetic treatment as pretreatment step for feed water , so the feed water will pass in a magnetic field then it will directs to RO.
2- most of the parameters that will be tested relating to magnetic water step and it is as follow
a- magnetic flux density by increasing the number of magnets (the magnets will be arranged on the out surface of the pipe).
b- magnets configuration by changing the geometry of the magnets according to the north and south pole.
c- contact time this is a critical parameter ,which is The amount of time water is in contact with the magnetic field as it runs through a pipe for this 15 minutes , 10 minutes, 5 minutes will be tested.
d- pipe diameter ( 1 inch, 0.5 inch,0.25 inch).
e- for RO system I need high flow rate , I will change pH and temperature.
f- for the total volume per trial I don't know exactly I need advice.
g- the budget is not so much it will be 1500-2000 $.
h- the feed water will be saline water with high EC , I will test for different ECs , the final product water is drinkable.
I hope now you catch the idea , thanks again
regards

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. You are going to use only magnets to purify seawater into drinking water?

berkeman said:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. You are going to use only magnets to purify seawater into drinking water?

no at all, I will use magnets as pretreatment method to reduce RO membrane fouling , salinity water will pass through magnetic field then it will be directed to RO.

1. What is the purpose of a water treatment experiment?

The purpose of a water treatment experiment is to test different methods and techniques for removing contaminants and improving the quality of water. This can include testing the effectiveness of various filtration systems, chemical treatments, and other processes.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a water treatment experiment?

Some important factors to consider when designing a water treatment experiment include the source of the water, the type and concentration of contaminants, the resources and equipment available, and the desired outcome or goal of the experiment.

3. How do you ensure accurate and reliable results in a water treatment experiment?

To ensure accurate and reliable results, it is important to carefully control and monitor all variables in the experiment. This can include using standardized procedures, measuring and recording data accurately, and repeating the experiment multiple times to confirm the results.

4. What are some common challenges in designing a water treatment experiment?

Some common challenges in designing a water treatment experiment include selecting appropriate methods and controls, obtaining reliable and consistent water samples, and addressing any potential sources of contamination or interference.

5. How can the results of a water treatment experiment be used?

The results of a water treatment experiment can be used to inform and improve water treatment processes and systems, as well as to help develop new methods and technologies for water treatment. They can also be used to inform regulations and policies related to water quality and safety.