Calculating Distance from Point to Line: A Scientific Approach

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Point
In summary, to find the distance from the point (3, 5, 1) to the line x=0,y=5+4t,z=1+4t, you can use the distance formula for a point and a line with vectors and orthogonality. First, shift everything so that the line passes through the origin, then find the projection of the shifted point onto the shifted line. The distance between that projection and the shifted point is the distance between the original point and the line. This can also be solved by minimizing the distance function using derivatives.
UrbanXrisis
Find the distance from the point (3, 5, 1) to the line x=0,y=5+4t,z=1+4t

I know that there is a distance formula for a point and a plane but how do I find the distance from a point to a line?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you could do this with vectors and orthogonality. First shift everything so that the line passes through the origin, then find the projection of the shifted point onto the shifted line, and the distance between that projection and the shifted point is the distance between the original point and line.

I don't happen to have the formula memorized (but I know it is in my Calculus book) so let's work it out:
Let (x,y,z) be the point on the line closest to (3, 5, 1). A vector pointing from (3, 5, 1) to (x, y, z) is (x-3)i+ (y-5)j+ (z-1)k. Of course, the line from (3, 5, 1) to (x, y, z) must be perpendicular to the given line. (If not, construct a right triangle have that line as hypotenuse and the given line as "opposite" side. Since the hypotenuse of a right triangle is the longest side in any right triangle, it can't be the shortest distance.)
A vector in the direction of the given line is, of course, 4j+ 4k and that must be perpendicular to (x-3)i+ (y-5)j+ (z-1)k:
(4j+ 4k).((x-3)i+ (y-5)j+ (z-1)k)= 4(y-5)+ 4(z- 1)= 0 so 4y- 20+ 4z- 4= 0 and 4y+ 4z= 24 or y+ z= 6. We now can write the point (x,y,z) as (0, y, 6-y) (x= 0 for any point on the line and clearly z= 6- y).

The distance function is
[tex]D= \sqrt{(x-3)^2+ (y- 6)^2+ (z-1)^2}= \sqrt{9+ (y-6)^2+ (5-y)^2}[/tex]
Minimize that, or better,
[tex]D^2= 9+ (y-6)^2+ (5-y)^2= 9+ y^2- 12y+ 36+ 25-10y+ y^2= 3y^2-22y+ 70[/tex]

Urban, do you know about projections? Do you know about derivatives?

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance from a point to a line?

The formula for calculating the distance from a point to a line is:
d = |(ax0 + by0 + c)| / sqrt(a^2 + b^2)
Where (x0, y0) is the coordinates of the point and ax + by + c = 0 is the equation of the line.

2. How do you find the shortest distance from a point to a line?

To find the shortest distance from a point to a line, you can use the formula:
d = |(ax0 + by0 + c)| / sqrt(a^2 + b^2)
This will give you the perpendicular distance from the point to the line.

3. Can the distance from a point to a line be negative?

No, the distance from a point to a line cannot be negative. It is always measured as a positive value.

4. Can the distance from a point to a line be 0?

Yes, the distance from a point to a line can be 0 if the point lies on the line. This means that the point is already the shortest distance from the line.

5. How is the distance from a point to a line related to the slope of the line?

The distance from a point to a line is inversely proportional to the slope of the line. This means that as the slope of the line increases, the distance from the point to the line decreases, and vice versa.