Force-Gravity Problem [Parachute & body]

In summary, the person with a mass of 85 kg is experiencing a downward acceleration of 2.5 m/s2 while parachuting. The parachute, with a mass of 4.8 kg, exerts an upward force of 224.5N on the person, resulting in a reduction of acceleration. However, the person is also exerting the same downward force on the parachute.
Spirit
An 85 kg person is parachuting and experiencing a downward acceleration of 2.5 m/s2. The mass of the parachute is 4.8 kg.

What downward force is exerted by the person on the parachute?

>>What i am [was] thinking << ::
Well, i tried to solve it by using by using this method its wrong 'its online homework'

First, i assume that it should be Zero, since both are in the same system moving with the same accelaration, but it show wrong.

Then i try to solve by Total Force= Force of Gravity on the body + Force of Gravity on the Parachute + Force of Air (-) + Force of body on the parachute. and it did not help as well :( [the Air force is 655.54N as a correct answer]

Thank in advance for helping, i appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
All it is is that you have to look at the difference in the forces. The force acting down is 89.8g, and the force acting up must be 224.5N in order to get the acceleration of 2.5. The answer is just the difference between these two values.

Unforutantly its not the correct answer,

This number as well is exactly the number of the air resistance, [upward]
So i tried to say the force is 0, by the person of the parachute. Still it won't work.

Any ideas? Thanks for the efforts :)

If there were no parachute what would the persons acceleration be?

The parachute is exerting force on the person to prevent him from falling at that acceleration. What difference in acceleration did the parachute produce? What (upward) force is the parachute exerting on him to produce that reduction in acceleration (F= ma)? Of course, he is exerting the same force (downward) on the parachute.

What is the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is a fundamental force of nature that attracts objects with mass towards each other. It is responsible for the attraction between the Earth and all objects on its surface.

How does gravity affect a parachute?

When a parachute is opened, the force of gravity pulls the parachute and the person attached to it towards the ground. However, the upward force of air resistance created by the parachute slows down the descent and allows for a safe landing.

Why does a parachute increase air resistance?

A parachute increases air resistance because it has a large surface area compared to the person attached to it. This creates a larger amount of air molecules colliding with the parachute, which creates a greater upward force that counters the force of gravity.

How does the weight of the person affect the descent rate with a parachute?

The weight of the person does not significantly affect the descent rate with a parachute. This is because the air resistance from the parachute remains relatively constant, regardless of the weight of the person. However, a heavier person may experience a slightly faster descent due to gravitational pull.

What is the role of air density in a parachute and body force-gravity problem?

Air density plays a crucial role in the force-gravity problem of a parachute and body. A higher air density means there are more air molecules colliding with the parachute, creating a larger upward force and slowing down the descent. On the other hand, a lower air density means there are fewer air molecules, resulting in a weaker upward force and a faster descent.