OKCupid: Online Dating Adventures

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
In summary: I think they call them complexes now. If one is single and living in an apartment - how about the local apartment complex? ... I think they call them complexes now.
Gale
so who was it that posted that freaking quiz on okcupid?!??

i've since become horrible addicted to the site. I'm meeting some guy for a "date" tonight, even though I've technically got whozum. whozum knows I'm going out, and the guy I'm seeing knows about him too so its not like I'm playing anyone. its just like a casual hanging out sort of thing. i think i may be seeing someone else on thursday. I meet new people pretty much every day, and some i talk to pretty often.

i feel like a complete dork!

i don't think i could ever join those sites that you have to pay for. I'm not that desperate for company, but I'm wicked addicted to this right now. anyone else do the online dating thing? it seems to be becoming a fairly popular thing. i watched a show about it the other day even. anyone? or am i all alone here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just going to sit here and wonder what the implications of "technically" having someone are. Intriguing way to put it, and I'm going to have to ponder the notion.

I've gone on several dates through eHarmony. When you work for a company with 5 employees, all male, and suck at picking girls up at a bar (should I really want to anyway?), that's one of the only options.

The question is, if that service provides the girls you would like or just a female version of yourself with the same flaws that oneself joined that service to escape?

mattara said:
The question is, if that service provides the girls you would like or just a female version of yourself with the same flaws that oneself joined that service to escape?

well i don't know how eharmony works, but on okcupid, you answer questions about how your mate would answer. so if the question is like "do you wear the pants in your relationship?"
your answer:
yes or no
their answer:
yes or no

so like, if you say yes, you can select that your partner says no. so its not like you're finding someone just like you, you could find your opposite if that's what you're looking for. me, i don't know what I'm really looking for in a partner, so i mostly leave them blank.

zooby said:
I'm just going to sit here and wonder what the implications of "technically" having someone are. Intriguing way to put it, and I'm going to have to ponder the notion.

well, hosam and i are an item. its just that he's very far away so its not like we can go out or anything. we consider each other boyfriend/girlfriend, but since we can't go out together, we go out with other people. so I'm not single, but i still go out, aye? I'm wondering though how different things will be when i move...

Gale is with whozum?? I thought that was somebody else... And you moved to Phenix. Arazona all the way to Tacoma.. PHILADELPHIA, Atlanta, LA.

Mk said:
Gale is with whozum?? I thought that was somebody else... And you moved to Phenix. Arazona all the way to Tacoma.. PHILADELPHIA, Atlanta, LA.
Don't let that big ol jet airliner carry you too far away.

Mk said:
You forgot - "Keep on rockin' . . . . " :rofl:

Astronuc said:
You forgot - "Keep on rockin' . . . . " :rofl:

Thank you. I was confused after the "jet airliner" reference. Way to know your Steve Miller trivia.:smile:

Gale said:
i've since become horrible addicted to the site (name not mentioned to protect the innocent :biggrin: ).

i feel like a complete dork!

i don't think i could ever join those sites that you have to pay for. I'm not that desperate for company, but I'm wicked addicted to this right now. anyone else do the online dating thing? it seems to be becoming a fairly popular thing. i watched a show about it the other day even. anyone? or am i all alone here?
I thought that was a middle aged thing! :rofl:

I have a bachelor friend who uses several sites. He's looking for a wife. I think he's up to about 80+ women so far. :rolleyes:

russ_watters said:
I've gone on several dates through eHarmony. When you work for a company with 5 employees, all male, and suck at picking girls up at a bar (should I really want to anyway?), that's one of the only options.
I am sorry but why would any guy want to pick up a woman in a bar? That is the last place I would look. Does this have anything to do with "Cheers" or

If one is single and living in an apartment - how about the local apartment complex? Or the grocery store? Or library? Or church? Or some local civic organization or club? Or beach or park?

Then again I haven't been single for almost 25 years (one year of living together while engaged).

Other than PF where Whozum and Gale met, has any other couple developed here?

Astronuc said:
Other than PF where Whozum and Gale met, has any other couple developed here?
Didn't you know? Lisa! and I are to be married as soon as she escapes from Iran.

I actually met my current girlfriend through OKCupid over two years ago. She posts here occasionally. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, though. I joined the site to take the tests and just ended up having a bunch of people messaging me. I had never really intended to meet anyone, but she lived nearby and it seemed pretty pointless to me to just exchange e-mails when we could very easily physically talk to each other.

She's the only person I've actually "dated" after meeting online, though. I have met up with several other people that I initially met online, but the girls I've dated or been in long-term relationships with I usually met either through school or work. I met my ex-wife in a writing workshop class that I was taking just to keep getting health coverage and she was taking to defer paying back her student loans. There was a match made in heaven.

I mostly use online communication to keep in touch with friends I met the good old fashioned way but am no longer in proximity to, since I've moved around so much.

While I don't exactly do the internet dating thing I have met women over the internet. My last serious relationship I met online though we had no intention of dating at all until after we met in person. Even when we met it wasn't a planned thing really, we just both had plans to be going to the same club and figured that maybe we'd see each other there. There was a woman that I flew out to see in another state for a week but nothing came of that since we were too far away from one another to have a relationship. One of my internet friends who lives in San Francisco and I had a crush on one another but decided, again for distance reasons, to keep it platonic. There have been a couple others but I have never really been looking.

Yes, OKCupid is very addictive with this silly tests. I met my wife through The Onion personals.

Ah, the world of virtual relationships - or relationships through the wire - as a dear friend says. On the other hand, it would the same over the phone I suppose, which is how I keep in touch with close friends who live in other parts of the country or world.

Gale said:
i've since become horrible addicted to the site. i'm meeting some guy for a "date" tonight, even though I've technically got whozum. whozum knows I'm going out, and the guy I'm seeing knows about him too so its not like I'm playing anyone. its just like a casual hanging out sort of thing. i think i may be seeing someone else on thursday. I meet new people pretty much every day, and some i talk to pretty often.
I wonder if you already know him http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/news/wwn/20051209/113414040002.html"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Two of the people I'm closest to, I met online. What makes anyone think that the right person for them just miraculously lives within 50 miles of their house? If that is true, then my soulmate has four legs. :frown:

My oldest daughter, the Spawn of Evo, met her current boyfriend online.

daveb said:
I met my wife through The Onion personals.

If that's true, you just became my new hero.

Since seeing this thread, I headed over to check the OKCupid site again...haven't bothered after the first week or so. I got two messages. One from someone whose profile brags about how often he goes out drinking beer :rolleyes:, and the other from someone who doesn't even have a profile filled out and can't seem to spell two words in a row correctly. :yuck:

And, yeah, Russ, what's wrong with the available women at PF?! :grumpy: Though, you might have to act quickly; I've already entered the "Win a Date with Tom Mattson" Contest. :biggrin:

There are available women on PF?

Pengwuino said:
Yep, but no female penguins, I'm afraid. Sorry. :frown:

Pengwuino said:
What is it with men on this forum? There are some awesome women here and yet you men seem oblivious. :grumpy:

Evo said:
What is it with men on this forum? There are some awesome women here and yet you men seem oblivious. :grumpy:

What's a woman?

Don't worry, Pengwuino, you're missing nothing. There definitely aren't any awesome women that live in Fresno posting on PF.

loseyourname said:
Don't worry, Pengwuino, you're missing nothing. There definitely aren't any awesome women that live in Fresno posting on PF.
Yep, I'm doomed, it's a four footer for me. :cry:

loseyourname said:

I don't think there are any awesome women in Fresno

Pengwuino said:
I don't think there are any awesome women in Fresno
Oh, you'll find out they're there, right after you move halfway across the country. :uhh:

Evo said:
What is with the women on this forum? There are men here that compliment them regularly yet they seem absolutely oblivious!

Evo said:
Yep, I'm doomed, it's a four footer for me. :cry:
You may want to say 'four legger' lest anyone get the impression that you are talking about some other sort of doom.

TheStatutoryApe said:
You may want to say 'four legger' lest anyone get the impression that you are talking about some other sort of doom.
True, ahem...four legger. :blushing:

Didn't you know? Lisa! and I are to be married as soon as she escapes from Iran. -Zoobyshoe

Don't to forget to invite us and post pictures! :biggrin:

well, for the record, the "date" went pretty well. he was a cool guy, we'll keep in touch. I'm moving in may so i don't know if i'll see him againg, but it was fun. i think I'm going to blow off the guy for thurs though. he doesn't seem as cool.

anyway, i like the site. i get loads of messages every day, but then, i have pictures posted. i was really happy cause the guy i met today said i looked just like he expected. I'm always afraid I'm going to dissapoint people when they see me. especially cause tons of guys on there think I'm real attractive, and i don't tend to think so. it was totally cool though!

Stalkers...

Pengwuino said:
Stalkers...

You've never been stalked in your life by anything other than a polar bear and you know it.