Solving the Pressure Change in a Gas Experiment

In summary, the original pressure was 500 newtons per square meter if the original temperature was 1000 K.
Richay
The volume of a quantity of the ideal gas was kept constant in a experiment. The final temp. was 600 kelvins (K) and the final pressure was 300 netwons per square m (Meter). What was the original pressure if the original temperature was 1000 K?

This is so mind twisting.

I got it wrong three times

Physics news on Phys.org
What was your approach on this question? Also please be sure to re-read this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379 part #1.

If you show us what you have done, we can help steer you in a successful direction.

What kind of relationship (equations) do you know that relate the variables in your question?

Last edited:
K, I read it.

I was doing the problem wrong. But I think i understand it now.
My equation is

1. 1000 x 300 = 300,000
2. 300,000 / 600 = 500

Answer=500

This all works out right?

I don't understand.. What are you trying to accomplish with your calculations? Do you know the equation that shows the relationship between your variables (final temperature, pressure, & volume; original temperature, pressure & volume)?

I'm trying to accomplish what the original pressure was if the original temperature was 1000 K.
1000 [Original Temperature] x 300 [Final Pressure] = 300,000

300,000 [New Solution] / 600 [Final Temperature] = 500 [Original Pressure]

Answer = 500

I asked my advisor if i was correct, and he said yes.

But, I want to know if you think my steps were the correct way of getting the answer?

Yes your solution is okay..

It helps to understand the relationship of your variables to solve any problem. That way you are not limited by step-by-step instructions shown in your text or given by the instructor.

In your case one form of the general expression for The Ideal Gas Law, where i is initial and f is final, P-pressure, V-volume and T-temperature.

[tex] \frac {P_i V_i}{T_i} = \frac {P_f V_f}{T_f} [/tex]

ref (see Ideal Gas Law with Constraints)

Since your volume is constant [itex] V_i = V_f [/itex]

You are asked what is the original pressure. Solving for [itex]P_i[/itex]
(using basic algebra)

[tex] P_i = \frac {P_f T_i}{T_f} [/tex]
Once you realize that, the solution becomes trivial (just plugging in the numbers and keeping your units consistent). Speaking of units, I hope remembered to give your solution in [tex] \frac {N}{m^2} [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the "Solving the Pressure Change in a Gas Experiment"?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the relationship between pressure and volume in a gas, as described by Boyle's Law.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a gas container, a pressure gauge, a source of gas, and a volume-changing device such as a syringe or piston.

3. How do you conduct the experiment?

To conduct the experiment, you will first measure the initial volume and pressure of the gas. Then, change the volume of the gas by adjusting the volume-changing device and record the corresponding pressure. Repeat this process for several different volume and pressure measurements.

4. What results should I expect to see?

The results of this experiment will show an inverse relationship between pressure and volume, meaning that as the volume decreases, the pressure increases and vice versa. This relationship is described by Boyle's Law, which states that at a constant temperature, the product of pressure and volume is always constant.

5. What are the applications of this experiment in real life?

The understanding of the relationship between pressure and volume in gases has many practical applications, such as in scuba diving where changes in pressure can affect the volume of air in a diver's tank. It also has applications in the fields of chemistry, meteorology, and engineering.