Light clock and teaching of special relativity

In summary: This was a very helpful concept for me to understand the time dilation effects of special relativity.
bernhard.rothenstein
do you think that the light clock is a good pedagogical tool for introducing special relativity? a teacher of mine told us that there is no advantage without disadvantage!
sine ira et studio

Physics news on Phys.org
bernhard.rothenstein said:
do you think that the light clock is a good pedagogical tool for introducing special relativity? a teacher of mine told us that there is no advantage without disadvantage!
sine ira et studio
I, personallly, think that its an excellant tool. It allows one to understand time dilation qualitatively.

Pete

Last edited:
In fact, by using a higher-dimensional (e.g. circular and spherical) lightclock and drawing "spacetime diagrams of lightclocks", you can also do length contraction and relativity of simultaneity, as well as the doppler effect and twin paradox/clock effect... and you can do it by "counting ticks". In fact, one can highlight the invariance of the interval.

http://physics.syr.edu/courses/modules/LIGHTCONE/LightClock/
arxiv.org/abs/physics/0505134

One "problem" to overcome in teaching with "lightclock diagrams" is getting students to understand spacetime diagrams... and appreciate the geometry first, and (if necessary) the algebra later. The physical interpretation is much clearer when viewed geometrically first.

Last edited by a moderator:
pmb_phy said:
I, personallly, think that its an excellant tool. It allows one to understand time dilation qualitatively.

Pete
i think that the light clock approach obscures its relationship with the Einstein's clocks. the light clock, in its rest frame, is associated with two Einstein clocks located at the two mirrors respectively. They are located in front of Einstein clocks of the reference frame relative to which it moves. Taking them into account we are able to describe all the relativistic effects.
sine ira et studio

Is there an implicit assumption that "Einstein's clocks" are [necessarily] superior?

Of course, one advantage of the light clock is its operational definition of time along a worldline... using radar methods. This is arguably a "more physical" approach. This advantage has been raised in various references:

e.g.,
http://link.aip.org/link/?AJPIAS/37/178/1
American Journal of Physics -- February 1969 -- Volume 37, Issue 2, pp. 178-189
Operational Approach to Space and Time Measurements in Flat Space
James L. Anderson and Ronald Gautreau

(see others in the references of the article in my previous post)

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm off base, but I feel like that a little too much emphasis is placed on motivating SR than teaching SR... the way I usually see the light clock used tends to fall in the motivation category.

Hurkyl said:
Maybe I'm off base, but I feel like that a little too much emphasis is placed on motivating SR than teaching SR... the way I usually see the light clock used tends to fall in the motivation category.

In my opinion, one does have to overcome "that layer of prejudices laid down upon the mind prior to the age of eighteen" [AE]. At one extreme, one could simply teach SR without motivation by just stating that we are studying a vector space with a Minkowski metric... and taking it from there.

In my opinion, your observation on the light clock in the "motivation[-but-not-much-as-teaching] category" is due to the limited treatment of light clocks via purely-spatial diagrams in textbooks. As I said above, with a spacetime diagram approach, one can actually use the light clock to calculate (in some nice cases, counting ticks of) spacetime intervals, as well as provide a physical, operational meaning to them... rather than relying on [often specific cases of] merely algebraic formulas to obtain the usual results. (Of course, after sufficient conceptual and computational motivation with the spacetime light-clock diagrams, one can then shift the emphasis to the now geometrically-motivated algebraic formulas and deal with more complicated problems that are tedious to handle with diagrams.)

my $0.02

pmb_phy said:

and quantitatively.

light clock

Hurkyl said:
What is the meaning of I'm off base?. What is the difference between teaching and motivating?

What is the difference between teaching and motivating?
I feel that too much emphasis is placed on answering the question "Why would we ever have thought of SR?" instead of answering the questions "What is SR?" and "How do we use SR?"

I didn't find light clocks very helpful really. The concept of the "wristwatch" was most helpful to me personally.

actionintegral said:
I didn't find light clocks very helpful really. The concept of the "wristwatch" was most helpful to me personally.

Of course, a "wristwatch" emphasizes that [proper-]time is a local concept associated with an observer [as opposed to a global time associated with "absolute time"]. This idea alone does not explain why the moving wristwatch is observed to behave differently from a wristwatch at rest. A light clock provides a relativity-friendly mechanism for the wristwatch's behavior.

Is there a simple one-line argument that says why time experienced by a massive observer between [itex][a,b][/itex]whose worldline is given by [itex]x^\mu(\lambda),[/itex] where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a parameter is

[tex]\tau = \int^{\lambda=b}_{\lambda=a} d \tau = \int^b_a \sqrt{\pm\frac{dx^\mu}{d\lambda} \frac{dx_\mu}{d\lambda}} d\lambda\ \ \mbox{the sign depending upon the choice of metric}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. How does a light clock demonstrate the concept of time dilation in special relativity?

A light clock is a hypothetical device used to explain the effects of time dilation in special relativity. It consists of two mirrors placed parallel to each other, with a beam of light bouncing back and forth between them. In the frame of reference of the clock, the light travels a fixed distance in a fixed amount of time. However, in a frame of reference moving relative to the clock, the distance the light travels appears longer due to the relative motion. This results in the observed phenomenon of time dilation, where time appears to pass slower in a moving frame of reference.

2. How does the speed of light play a role in the teaching of special relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by the constant "c", is a fundamental constant in the theory of special relativity. According to the theory, the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the laws of physics, including the principles of time and space, must be the same for all observers in all inertial reference frames. This concept is known as the principle of relativity and forms the basis of special relativity.

3. What is the relationship between mass and energy in special relativity?

In special relativity, the famous equation E=mc² describes the relationship between mass and energy. This equation states that mass and energy are two forms of the same thing and can be converted into one another. This is why nuclear reactions release a large amount of energy, as a small amount of mass is converted into a large amount of energy. This concept is crucial to understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds, as their mass increases as they approach the speed of light.

4. How does the concept of length contraction relate to the theory of special relativity?

Length contraction is another effect predicted by the theory of special relativity. It states that an object's length appears shorter when viewed from a frame of reference in motion relative to the object. This is because as an object moves faster, its measurement of time slows down, causing its length to appear shorter. This effect is only noticeable at speeds approaching the speed of light and is another demonstration of the relativity of space and time.

5. Can you provide an example of how the theory of special relativity is used in modern technology?

The principles of special relativity are used in many modern technologies, including GPS navigation systems. The accurate determination of position and time in a GPS device requires precise synchronization of clocks on the ground and in satellites. However, due to the relative motion of the satellites, their clocks tick at a slightly different rate than clocks on Earth. Without accounting for the effects of special relativity, the GPS system would quickly become inaccurate, highlighting the practical application of this theory in our daily lives.