What is Lienard-Wiechert potential?

• Thread starter enricfemi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the conversation is about the Lienard-Wiechert potential and the difficulty in understanding it. The person asking for help is advised to study from an electromagnetics book, and the person offering help also offers to answer specific questions. The conversation ends with a friendly goodbye.
enricfemi

Homework Statement

What is Lienard-Wiechert potential?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Go buy yourself a thorough Electromagnetics book and study. This section is for assisting people with specific homework problems only, we dont' give actual classes here.

greets
marlon

Thank you for your assistance. I will follow your advice.

greets
E.F

enricfemi said:
Thank you for your assistance. I will follow your advice.

greets
E.F

I hope you don't interprete my words as sarcasm. It is just that for such topics, there is not short clear "all covering" anser. To fully understand these potentials you need to have the appropriate background knowledge. that is why i suggested to go study.

regards
marlon

I hope you don't interprete my words as sarcasm
I didn't misunderstand anything you just conveied. And I really know something about this potential which is difficult to understand .It deducts from special relativity and Maxwell'theory.I fond of it.It is really beautiful,though there is some thing I doubt.

Last edited:
enricfemi said:
I didn't misunderstand anything you just conveied. And I really know something about this potential which is difficult to understand .It deducts from special relativity and Maxwell'theory.I fond of it.It is really beautiful,though there is some thing I doubt.

If you have specific questions, we are certainly willing to help you out.

Greets
marlon

Thank you! How kind you are!
I will send you PM about this problem tommorrow.

Greets
E.F

enricfemi said:
Thank you! How kind you are!
I will send you PM about this problem tommorrow.

Greets
E.F

okelidokeli

ZAI JIAN

marlon

ZAI JIAN

KE AN DE marlon!

E.F

1. What is the Lienard-Wiechert potential?

The Lienard-Wiechert potential is a mathematical expression that describes the electromagnetic field generated by a moving point charge. It takes into account both the effects of the charge's motion and the delay in the propagation of electromagnetic signals from the charge to a given observation point.

2. Who developed the Lienard-Wiechert potential?

The Lienard-Wiechert potential was independently developed by French physicist Alfred-Marie Lienard and Dutch physicist Hendrik Antoon Lorentz in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

3. How is the Lienard-Wiechert potential different from other electromagnetic potentials?

The Lienard-Wiechert potential differs from other electromagnetic potentials, such as the Coulomb potential and the Biot-Savart law, because it takes into account the relativistic effects of a moving charge, such as time dilation and length contraction.

4. What is the importance of the Lienard-Wiechert potential?

The Lienard-Wiechert potential is an important tool in the study and understanding of electromagnetic phenomena, particularly in the field of electrodynamics. It is used to describe the behavior of charged particles, such as electrons, in electromagnetic fields.

5. Where is the Lienard-Wiechert potential applied?

The Lienard-Wiechert potential has many practical applications, including in the fields of particle accelerators, radiation therapy, and radar technology. It is also used in the development of advanced technologies, such as electromagnetic propulsion systems and high-speed communication devices.