Magnetic susceptibility question

In summary, the conversation is about understanding a concept from a solid-state book. The concept is about magnetic susceptibility of solids, which is affected by the number of electrons in the atom, number of atoms per unit volume, and mean square radius of the electron charge cloud. The derivation for this concept comes from the first-order perturbation energy, which is obtained by taking the Hamiltonian (H') and ground states (|0>) into account. The text being referenced is by Ziemann. The Hamiltonian for a charge in a vector potential (A) is given by p' = p-(e/c)A.
schattenjaeger
Not really a problem, I'm reading these 10 pages from a solid-state book for a professor, and it's a little over my head. Excuse the lack of LATEX but I copied it from another board I posted, and if you can help you likely know the equations involved anyways. I'm not expected to understand it ALL of course(I've had undergrad QM), but I'd like to at least have someone explain this first part to me

...example when talking about magnetic susceptibility of solids where each atom or ion has a closed shell of electrons with high excitation energy, you get diamagnetism with the susceptibility given by chi=-Ze^2*N/(6mc^2)r^2 Z is the number of electrons in the atom, N is number of atoms per unit volume, r^2 is mean square radious of electron charge cloud

that's all good and well, but the mention that the derivation comes from the "first-order perturbation energy <0|e^2/2mc^2*A^2|0> where the 0s denote ground states and A is the magnetic vector potential

now from what little I know of pertubation theory, to get the first order energy correction you do <0|H'|0> where H' is the perturbed Hamiltonian and |0> is the unpertubed ground states. So the equation in the derivation in the preceding paragraph is vaguely of that form, but I don't get how e^2/2mc^2 * A^2 is the perturbed Hamiltonian

Physics news on Phys.org
Please cite the source - which text is this from?

Write the Hamiltonian for a charge in a vector potential (A), where the conjugate momentum is now p' = p-(e/c)A. All the additional terms that arise from the vector potential make up the perturbation.

Text is by Ziemann

Ok, thanks for that, but I don't see how even knowing the first order perturbation energy gets you that expression for susceptibility

1. What is magnetic susceptibility?

Magnetic susceptibility is a measure of the degree to which a material can be magnetized in the presence of an external magnetic field. It is a dimensionless quantity, and is typically represented by the symbol χ (chi).

2. How is magnetic susceptibility measured?

Magnetic susceptibility is typically measured using a device called a magnetic susceptibility balance. This device applies a known magnetic field to a sample of the material and measures the resulting magnetization. The ratio of the two values gives the magnetic susceptibility.

3. What factors affect magnetic susceptibility?

Magnetic susceptibility can be affected by a variety of factors, including the composition of the material, the strength of the external magnetic field, and the temperature. Different materials have different inherent susceptibilities, and these can also be affected by impurities or defects.

4. How is magnetic susceptibility used in scientific research?

Magnetic susceptibility is used in a variety of scientific research fields, including geology, material science, and biophysics. It can provide information about the composition and structure of materials, as well as their magnetic properties. It is also used in the study of magnetic fields and their effects on biological systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic susceptibility?

Magnetic susceptibility has many practical applications, including in the fields of geology, mineral exploration, and environmental monitoring. It is also used in the production of magnetic materials, such as computer hard drives and magnetic tapes. In medical imaging, magnetic susceptibility mapping can provide information about tissue composition and disease detection.