Compound Microscope: Solving for Objective Focal Length

In summary, the compound microscope has a tube length of 18.0 cm, with an eyepiece of focal length 2.08 cm. The person using the microscope has a near-point distance of 25.0 cm and can view the image with a relaxed eye. The magnification is -4350. By using the equations d i = d - fo and M = (d i * N)/(fo * fe), the focal length of the objective can be determined using the formula fo = (d * N)/(M * fe + N). However, it is unclear what value was used for d in the equations.
map7s
A compound microscope has the objective and eyepiece mounted in a tube that is 18.0 cm long. The focal length of the eyepiece is 2.08 cm, and the near-point distance of the person using the microscope is 25.0 cm. If the person can view the image produced by the microscope with a completely relaxed eye, and the magnification is -4350, what is the focal length of the objective? (Include the sign.)

I tried using the equations

d i =d- fo

M = (d i * N)/(fo*fe)

since I could not find d i b/c I didn't know fo, I substituted d-fo for d i in the second equation. When I isolated fo, I got

fo=(dN)/(Mfe +N)

I thought that I was doing this right...what did I mess up?

Physics news on Phys.org
did I do an algebraic mistake or...I assumed that the 18 cm = d...was that a wrong assumption to make?

Thank you for sharing your approach to solving for the focal length of the objective in this compound microscope setup. Your use of the equations for image distance and magnification is correct, but there seems to be a mistake in your substitution for the image distance. You correctly identified that the image distance (d i) is equal to the tube length (d) minus the focal length of the objective (fo). However, when you substituted this into the second equation, you should have used d - fo instead of d i. This is because d i represents the distance from the objective lens to the image, which is different from the tube length (d).

Using the corrected equation, we can solve for the focal length of the objective as follows:

M = (d - fo) * N / (fo * fe)

-4350 = (18.0 cm - fo) * (-25.0 cm) / (fo * 2.08 cm)

-4350 = (-450 cm + 25.0 cm * fo) / (2.08 cm)

-4350 * 2.08 cm = -450 cm + 25.0 cm * fo

-9030 cm = -450 cm + 25.0 cm * fo

-9030 cm + 450 cm = 25.0 cm * fo

-8580 cm = 25.0 cm * fo

-8580 cm / 25.0 cm = fo

-343.2 cm = fo

Therefore, the focal length of the objective is -343.2 cm. The negative sign indicates that the objective lens is a diverging lens, which is common in compound microscopes.

1. What is a compound microscope?

A compound microscope is an optical instrument that is used for magnifying small objects such as cells, microorganisms, or other tiny structures. It consists of two or more lenses that work together to produce a highly magnified image.

2. What is the objective focal length of a compound microscope?

The objective focal length of a compound microscope is the distance between the objective lens and the point where the image of the specimen is formed. It is an important parameter that determines the magnification and resolution of the microscope.

3. How is the objective focal length of a compound microscope determined?

The objective focal length of a compound microscope can be determined by using the equation: f = d(n1/n2), where f is the focal length, d is the distance between the lenses, and n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two lenses. The refractive indices can be found in the microscope's specifications or by using a refractometer.

4. Why is it important to know the objective focal length of a compound microscope?

Knowing the objective focal length of a compound microscope is important because it allows us to calculate the magnification and resolution of the microscope. It also helps in determining the optimal distance between the lenses for the best image formation.

5. Can the objective focal length of a compound microscope be adjusted?

Yes, the objective focal length of a compound microscope can be adjusted by changing the distance between the lenses or by using different objective lenses with varying focal lengths. This allows for a range of magnifications to be achieved, making the microscope more versatile for different types of specimens.