There is one point I don't understand about G-torsor.

• Thread starter kakarukeys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, we discussed the concept of a G-torsor, where a Lie group G acts freely and transitively on a manifold F. We also saw that the map h_f, defined as mapping fg to g, is a homeomorphism. We then explored the question of how to see that h_f is continuous, and concluded that it is open if G is compact and F is Hausdorff, or if both G and F are locally compact and Hausdorff and F is a topological group.
kakarukeys

A Lie group G acts freely and transitively on a manifold F.
F x G -> F
(f, g) -> fg, f(g1g2) = (fg1)g2
is a smooth map.

fix an element f of F
then the map h
F -> G
fg -> g
is a homeomorphism.

I know h is open from the continuity of the map
{f} x G -> F
g -> fg

How to see h is continuous?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
please help! I'm desperate. I will help out in the Homework and coursework questions section if anybody can help me.

Your description of the map h: F -> G seems to have a typo. I guess you meant it to be f -> fg.

h is factored through Stab(g), right? Now Stab(g) is trivial and h is surjective since F is a G-torsor. Thus h is one-to-one.

By definition h is continuous, so h is bijective and continuous. Since in addition F and G are locally compact and Hausdorff, h is a homeomorphism.

kakarukeys said:

F x G -> F
(f, g) -> fg, f(g1g2) = (fg1)g2
is a smooth map.

fix an element f of F
then the map h
F -> G
fg -> g
is a homeomorphism.

I know h is open from the continuity of the map
{f} x G -> F
g -> fg

No, there is no typo, I have typed a little too fast. Let me use Latex and state my question clearer.

[tex]\rho: F \times G \longrightarrow F[/tex]
[tex]\rho(f, g) = fg[/tex]
[tex]f(g_1g_2) = (fg_1)g_2[/tex]

fix an element f of F
then the map
[tex]h_f: \{fg | \forall g\in G\} \longrightarrow G[/tex]
[tex]h_f(fg) = g[/tex]
is a homeomorphism.

I know [tex]h_f[/tex] is open from the continuity of the map
[tex]\rho_f = h_f^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]\rho_f: \{f\} \times G \longrightarrow F[/tex]
[tex]\rho_f(g) = fg[/tex]

Your h is my [tex]\rho_f[/tex]. Were you saying [tex]\rho_f[/tex] is open because F, G are (required to be) locally compact and Hausdorff?

I couldn't find any theorem which guarantees that.

closests two are:

(1) if G is compact and F is Hausdorff, [tex]\rho_f[/tex] is open
(2) if G is locally compact, F is locally compact and Hausdorff, F is a topological group under the induced group operations, [tex]\rho_f[/tex] is open

1. What is a G-torsor?

A G-torsor is a mathematical object used in algebraic geometry and group theory. It is a set equipped with a group action by a group G, such that each element has a unique preimage under the action. This means that the set can be considered as a "twisted" version of the group G.

2. How is a G-torsor different from a group?

A G-torsor is similar to a group in that it has a group action and a structure that is closed under the group operation. However, a G-torsor does not have a fixed identity element like a group does. Instead, the identity element is "twisted" by the group action.

3. What are some applications of G-torsors?

G-torsors have many applications in mathematics, particularly in algebraic geometry and number theory. They are used to study algebraic varieties, Galois theory, and representations of algebraic groups. They also have connections to cryptography and coding theory.

4. How do you construct a G-torsor?

To construct a G-torsor, you start with a set and a group G. Then, you define a group action on the set by G. This action must be free and transitive, meaning that each element in the set has a unique preimage under the action. This set with the group action is then called a G-torsor.

5. What is the significance of the "twisting" in a G-torsor?

The "twisting" of a G-torsor is important because it allows us to study groups in a different way. By twisting a group, we can see how it acts on different sets and how the group structure is preserved or modified. This can lead to new insights and applications in various areas of mathematics.