Find the moment of inertia of a thin wire of mass

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia of a thin square wire without a top, with each side being of length b, about its axis of symmetry. The equations mentioned are I = I1 + I2 + I3 and the use of the parallel axis theorem. The participants also discuss the contribution of the horizontal part to the moment of inertia and the need to consider the mass of the entire square. They also mention the location of the origin and the use of superposition for solving the problem.
airbauer33
[SOLVED] Moment of inertia

Homework Statement

Find the moment of inertia of a thin wire of mass, m, bent into a square without a top, with each side being of length, b, about its axis of symmetry. (looks like field goal uprights)

Homework Equations

I = I1 + I2 + I3

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the two uprights I are (m/3)b^2. I found a solution on the net that shows the moment of inertia of the horizontal part being 0 because its center of mass is at the origin. I think that there should still be a 1/12(m/3)b^2 contribution from the horizontal part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I don't know if I necessarily agree with your statement for the uprights. Did you try to superpose two rods? You have to remember that the mass given to you is for the whole square thing. The rod equations you are using are not accounting for that. You should also consider that the equation you are using uses the bottom of the rod as the rotation axis. Hint: you may want to consider the parallel axis theorem.

Sorry I can't be much more help, but I don't know what you mean by solution on the net. Where is your origin defined?

I think the correct answer should be (m/3)b^2 + 1/12(m/3)b^2 = (m/3)(4/3)b^2.
Your attempt at a solution is correct. The moment of inertia of the thin wire bent into a square without a top can be calculated by dividing it into three parts: the two uprights and the horizontal part. Each upright has a moment of inertia of (m/3)b^2, as you correctly stated. However, the horizontal part also contributes to the moment of inertia, and its value is indeed 1/12(m/3)b^2. Therefore, the total moment of inertia would be (m/3)b^2 + 1/12(m/3)b^2 = (m/3)(4/3)b^2. Great job on your attempt at solving this problem!

1. What is the formula for finding the moment of inertia of a thin wire?

The formula for finding the moment of inertia of a thin wire is I = ml²/12, where m is the mass of the wire and l is the length of the wire.

2. How do you determine the mass of a thin wire?

The mass of a thin wire can be determined by using a balance or scale to measure its weight. Alternatively, the mass can be calculated using the density of the material and the volume of the wire.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a thin wire be negative?

No, the moment of inertia of a thin wire cannot be negative. It is a physical property that represents the resistance of an object to changes in its rotational motion and is always positive or zero.

4. How does the length of a thin wire affect its moment of inertia?

The length of a thin wire directly affects its moment of inertia. As the length increases, the moment of inertia also increases. This is because a longer wire has more mass distributed farther away from the axis of rotation, resulting in a greater resistance to rotational motion.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a thin wire change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a thin wire can change if its mass or length changes. It can also change if the wire's axis of rotation is altered. However, the moment of inertia is a constant for a given object and axis of rotation, as long as there are no changes to mass or length.